Back Pain from Studying? What Am I Doing Wrong?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Nano-Passion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pain Studying
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of back pain from studying and suggests various solutions such as proper posture, staying active, and using supportive tools like book-stands and bright reading lamps. Some members also recommend consulting a chiropractor for chronic pain and using bead covers for car seats. The conversation also touches on the importance of maintaining a healthy gait and avoiding slumping while studying.
Nano-Passion
Is anybody else here getting back pain from studying?

I don't really know what I'm doing wrong.

Biology news on Phys.org
Maybe you have too much on your mind? (drum roll)

In all seriousness, I'll get a little sore if I hunch over a lot. It also doesn't help if you're generally inactive. Go for a jog or something once a day. Muscle atrophy is a serious problem in your back. Try sitting up straight.

I dunno, just advice.

mateomy said:
Maybe you have too much on your mind? (drum roll)

In all seriousness, I'll get a little sore if I hunch over a lot. It also doesn't help if you're generally inactive. Go for a jog or something once a day. Muscle atrophy is a serious problem in your back. Try sitting up straight.

I dunno, just advice.

:rofl:

I tend to be relatively active, I go to the gym to stay fit here and there. But I haven't really done much at all since Thursday to be honest hehe; else than the gym on Friday at least.

I'm not a big fan of jogging either, I would rather do a fun activity that is physically demanding (muay thai/boxing/table tennis :D). I did too much jogging as a younger teenager and frankly I'm sick of it. haha

By the way, I asked my brother why I have back pain and he recommended I should sit back a little bit more and put a pillow or something behind my lower back.

Thanks for the advice. ^.^

How's your gait? Seriously, check the back of your shoes to see if you are pronating or supinating.

If you slump while studying, that can be a problem. You should sit in a posture such that your lower back is arched normally.

A mini book-stand that can fit on your desk can help get your materials at the right angle to read comfortably, and a nice bright reading lamp can get your pupils stopped down to the point at which you can read comfortably at a range of distances. These are both essential, IMO. Subtle compensation for poor lighting or poor reading angle using your upper spine/neck can cause pain.

If these don't turn you around, I'd suggest getting a pair of "rock and tone" type walking shoes that exercise more of the muscles in your lower body when you're walking around campus. I do not recommend Sketchers because the substrate of the sole is very spongy and compressible. I am an average-weight person, and I find them too soft. Someone who is a bit overweight or who is carrying a lot of extra muscle-mass might find them even more problematic.

gravenewworld said:
How's your gait? Seriously, check the back of your shoes to see if you are pronating or supinating.

My gait is pretty straight.

turbo said:
If you slump while studying, that can be a problem. You should sit in a posture such that your lower back is arched normally.

A mini book-stand that can fit on your desk can help get your materials at the right angle to read comfortably, and a nice bright reading lamp can get your pupils stopped down to the point at which you can read comfortably at a range of distances. These are both essential, IMO. Subtle compensation for poor lighting or poor reading angle using your upper spine/neck can cause pain.

If these don't turn you around, I'd suggest getting a pair of "rock and tone" type walking shoes that exercise more of the muscles in your lower body when you're walking around campus. I do not recommend Sketchers because the substrate of the sole is very spongy and compressible. I am an average-weight person, and I find them too soft. Someone who is a bit overweight or who is carrying a lot of extra muscle-mass might find them even more problematic.

Thanks. ^.^

Now that I can work from home, I work in an La-Z boy with a laptop on my lap. Desks don't do it for me, I have to get up constantly to keep my back moving.

victoria st said:
When you have pain that limits your daily activities for more than a week you should consult with a Chiropractor to find out what the cause of the pain is. The common cause for this condition is the degeneration of the spine's normal structure.

Thanks for your reply, its funny my back has been bothering me a bit today and you updated my topic just on time.

I'm personally not the person that likes to visit the doctor for my problems. I'll usually go on the internet and research the problem myself since I rarely perceive my problems as a big deal.

Pythagorean said:
Now that I can work from home, I work in an La-Z boy with a laptop on my lap. Desks don't do it for me, I have to get up constantly to keep my back moving.
I found that no matter how much I try to force myself into good posture I still end up with a little strain here and there. A La-Z boy sounds great! BUT, its not ideal for math and paper. I've tried doing the whole bed thing, but it also gets uncomfortable..

Try using one of them bead covers designed for car seats!
Works for me and I can't sand up Ha! Good recommendation.

Just a though said:
Try using one of them bead covers designed for car seats!
Works for me and I can't sand up Ha! Good recommendation.

Thanks for your reply, I did research on the whole topic and I think its a deviation from your normal spine curve. If that's the case then I don't believe bead covers will be a proper solution.

Edit: I don't know if you meant you can't "sTand up," either way that made me wonder how people who can't stand up don't get chronic back pain.

victoria st said:
When you have pain that limits your daily activities for more than a week you should consult with a Chiropractor to find out what the cause of the pain is. The common cause for this condition is the degeneration of the spine's normal structure.
Chiropractors are are not *real* mds. Nano, go to an orthopedist or neurologist, do not risk going to a chiropractor.

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/chiro.html

1. What are the common causes of back pain from studying?

Back pain from studying can be caused by a variety of factors, including poor posture, sitting in a chair for extended periods of time, using an uncomfortable desk or chair, inadequate breaks and stretching, and carrying heavy backpacks or bags. Staring at a computer screen for long periods of time can also contribute to back pain.

2. How can I prevent back pain while studying?

To prevent back pain while studying, it is important to practice good posture, take frequent breaks to stretch and move around, and use ergonomic furniture and equipment. It is also important to maintain a healthy weight and engage in regular physical activity to strengthen your back muscles.

3. Can studying in bed cause back pain?

Yes, studying in bed can contribute to back pain. Lying down in bed for extended periods of time can put strain on your back and neck muscles, leading to discomfort and pain. It is recommended to study at a desk or table with proper support for your back.

4. Are there specific exercises that can help with back pain from studying?

Yes, there are exercises that can help relieve and prevent back pain from studying. Some examples include stretching the back, neck, and shoulders, as well as strengthening exercises for the core and back muscles. Consult with a physical therapist or doctor for personalized exercises that can target your specific areas of pain.

5. When should I seek medical help for back pain from studying?

If your back pain from studying persists for more than a few days and is accompanied by other symptoms such as numbness or tingling, it is recommended to seek medical help. These symptoms could indicate a more serious underlying issue that requires treatment. It is always better to consult with a medical professional for proper diagnosis and treatment of back pain.