Bacteria Growth without integration

That is the same as [itex](e^{ln(2)})^t= 2^t[/itex]. That is, instead of integrating, we can argue that the solution of the differential equation [itex]dy/dt= ky[/itex] must be [itex]y(t)= Ce^{kt}[/itex] for some constant, C. Since [itex]y(0)= P(0)[/itex], [itex]Ce^{k(0)}= Ce^0= C= P(0)[/itex] so that [itex]y(t)= Ce^{kt}= P(0)e^{kt}[/itex]. Again
Mirole
A bacteria culture initially contains P(o) cells and grows at the rate dP/dt = kP where k is a growth constant. After an hour the population has doubled.

(a) Determine an expression for the number of bacteria present after t hours.

(b) Computer the number of bacteria present, and the rate of growth, after 2 hours.

(c) After how many hours will the population be 10P(o)
---------------------------------------------------------
For (a), I could just separate the differential equation dP/dt= kP as dp/P= kdt and then integrate both sides. For, (b) I would just set t = 2. And, for (c), P(t)= 10P(0).

I'm supposed to do this without using integration, which I have no idea how, any ideas?

Ok, so for (a), I did:

2P(o) = P(o)e^(k*1)
ln2 = e^(k*1)ln
ln(2) = k

So, P = P(o)e^(ln(2)*t)

Did I do it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mirole said:
A bacteria culture initially contains P(o) cells and grows at the rate dP/dt = kP where k is a growth constant. After an hour the population has doubled.

(a) Determine an expression for the number of bacteria present after t hours.

(b) Computer the number of bacteria present, and the rate of growth, after 2 hours.

(c) After how many hours will the population be 10P(o)
---------------------------------------------------------
For (a), I could just separate the differential equation dP/dt= kP as dp/P= kdt and then integrate both sides. For, (b) I would just set t = 2. And, for (c), P(t)= 10P(0).

I'm supposed to do this without using integration, which I have no idea how, any ideas?

Ok, so for (a), I did:

2P(o) = P(o)e^(k*1)
ln2 = e^(k*1)ln
ln(2) = k

So, P = P(o)e^(ln(2)*t)

Did I do it right?
If you know that this must be an exponential, then, yes, that works. Of course, we know that it is an exponential because we have integrated before!

Another way to do this is to argue that a problem like this must have a constant "doubling time". Since you are told that the initial population doubles in 2 hours, it will double every two hours. In time t, measured in hours, the population will double t/2 times so [itex]P(t)= P(0)2^{t/2}[/itex]. (Of course, that is also "cheating" because that is a property of exponential, which is what we get by integrating).

Notice that [itex]t ln(2)= ln(2^t)[/itex] so that \(\displaystyle e^{t ln(2)}= e^{ln(2^t)}= 2^t[/itex].\)

1. What is bacteria growth without integration?

Bacteria growth without integration refers to the process of bacteria reproducing and multiplying without incorporating genetic material from other bacteria or organisms. This type of growth is known as asexual reproduction and does not involve the exchange of genetic material, unlike sexual reproduction.

2. How does bacteria grow without integration?

Bacteria can grow without integration through binary fission, where one bacteria cell splits into two identical daughter cells. This process allows bacteria to reproduce quickly and rapidly increase their population size.

3. What factors affect bacteria growth without integration?

The growth of bacteria without integration can be influenced by various factors such as temperature, pH, nutrient availability, and oxygen levels. Bacteria tend to grow best in warm and moist environments with an optimal pH and sufficient nutrients for their metabolism.

4. Is bacteria growth without integration harmful?

Bacteria growth without integration is not necessarily harmful as it is a natural process for bacteria to reproduce. However, in certain situations where bacteria grow uncontrollably, it can lead to infections and illnesses. Proper hygiene and sanitation practices can help prevent excessive bacteria growth.

5. Can bacteria growth without integration be controlled?

Yes, bacteria growth without integration can be controlled through various methods such as sterilization, disinfection, and antimicrobial treatments. These methods can help reduce the number of bacteria present and prevent their growth. Additionally, proper food handling and storage practices can also control bacteria growth in food products.