Ball's motion after one bounce off the ground - SUVAT Question (ENGAA 2017)

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from the ENGAA 2017 exam, where the correct answer is 'A' (speed = 4, height = 0.8). The person asking the question used the SUVAT equations to solve the problem, but got two different height values depending on the equation/information used. The conversation concludes that this is because the person assumed a perfectly elastic bounce, when in reality some energy is lost on each impact. The correct approach is to ignore the first 0.5 seconds and solve for the initial velocity of the bounce, which will result in the correct answer.
TomK
Homework Statement
ENGAA 2017 - Question 54
Relevant Equations
SUVAT
Please scroll-down to the end (Question 54): https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/engineering_s1_qp_2017.pdf

I have also been referring to unofficial worked solutions (http://www.engineeringadmissionsassessment.com/2017-solutions.html), but I didn't understand how it gives the answer.

The correct answer is 'A' (speed = 4, height = 0.8). This is the working I did:

u = 0, v = ?, t = 0.5, a = 10

v = u + at = 0 + (10 x 0.5) = 5: speed = 5

From here, I said the starting speed immediately after the first impact is 5 (and the speed at max. height = 0), but, depending on the equation/information I use, I seem to get two different height values:

u = 5, s = ?, a = -10, t = 0.4.

s = ut + (1/2)at² = 2 + (-5 x (0.4)²) = 2 - 0.8
s = 1.2m

Or: u = 5, s = ?, a = -10, v = 0

v² = u² + 2as: s = (v² - u²)/2a = -25/-20
s = 1.25m

Either way, it gives me the wrong answer of 'D' (speed = 5, height = 1.25).

Would someone be able to tell me what has gone wrong here? Am I not allowed to assume the speed is the same after hitting the ground?

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Statement:: ENGAA 2017 - Question 54
For the first fall, starting from rest

From here, I said the starting speed immediately after the first impact is 5 (and the speed at max. height = 0),
This is where I'd disagree with you. I don't think you can assume a perfectly elastic bounce.

but, depending on the equation/information I use, I seem to get two different height values:

s = 1.2m
Which is the height it reaches after 0.4 sec after a perfectly elastic bounce. (*1)

s = 1.25m
Which is the height it actually reaches after a perfectly elastic bounce. (*2)
[/QUOTE]

*1 You use the speed of 100% bounce, but the time from the graph (not 100% bounce.)
*2 You use the speed of 100% bounce and find the max height it reaches.

TomK said:
Homework Statement:: ENGAA 2017 - Question 54
Relevant Equations:: SUVAT

Please scroll-down to the end (Question 54): https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/engineering_s1_qp_2017.pdf

I have also been referring to unofficial worked solutions (http://www.engineeringadmissionsassessment.com/2017-solutions.html), but I didn't understand how it gives the answer.

The correct answer is 'A' (speed = 4, height = 0.8). This is the working I did:

From here, I said the starting speed immediately after the first impact is 5 (and the speed at max. height = 0), but, depending on the equation/information I use, I seem to get two different height values:

s = 1.2m

s = 1.25m

Either way, it gives me the wrong answer of 'D' (speed = 5, height = 1.25).

Would someone be able to tell me what has gone wrong here? Am I not allowed to assume the speed is the same after hitting the ground?
You can’t assume a bounce is perfectly elastic. Some energy is lost on each impact.

This means the max. height of the ball after the first bounce is less than the height the ball is dropped from.

And the speed just after an impact is less than the speed just before the impact.

You have to ignore what happens between t=0 and t=0.5s.

From t=0.5s to t=1.3s the ball goes up and comes back down. Total time taken is 1.3 – 0.5 = 0.8s with max. height in the middle, which is 0.8/2 = 0.4s after the 1st impact. The acceleration is -10m/s² in flight.

If you take the start of the bounce (after 0.5s) as t=0 and unknown initial velocity (u), you can solve the problem.

Steve4Physics said:
You can’t assume a bounce is perfectly elastic. Some energy is lost on each impact.

This means the max. height of the ball after the first bounce is less than the height the ball is dropped from.

And the speed just after an impact is less than the speed just before the impact.

You have to ignore what happens between t=0 and t=0.5s.

From t=0.5s to t=1.3s the ball goes up and comes back down. Total time taken is 1.3 – 0.5 = 0.8s with max. height in the middle, which is 0.8/2 = 0.4s after the 1st impact. The acceleration is -10m/s² in flight.

If you take the start of the bounce (after 0.5s) as t=0 and unknown initial velocity (u), you can solve the problem.

Thank you. I now get u=4 (using v = u + at) and s=0.8 (using s = ut + (1/2)at²).

TomK said:
Thank you. I now get u=4 (using v = u + at) and s=0.8 (using s = ut + (1/2)at²).
Well done. On a matter of 'style', don't forget units. u = 4m/s and s = 0.8m. Forgetting units can lose a mark in an exam'. Generally, it creates a poor impression and can lead to errors if someone else is using your result and assumes the wrong units.

1. What is the equation for the displacement of the ball after one bounce?

The equation for the displacement of the ball after one bounce can be represented as: S = u + v0t + 1/2at2, where S is the displacement, u is the initial velocity, v0 is the final velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How does the mass of the ball affect its motion after one bounce?

The mass of the ball does not significantly affect its motion after one bounce, as long as the surface and other external factors remain constant. According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied and inversely proportional to its mass. Since the force and mass of the ball remain constant after one bounce, the acceleration and therefore the motion of the ball will not be affected.

3. What is the relationship between the initial velocity and the final velocity of the ball after one bounce?

The initial velocity and the final velocity of the ball after one bounce are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction. This is due to the conservation of energy, where the kinetic energy of the ball before and after the bounce remains the same.

4. How does the angle of the surface affect the motion of the ball after one bounce?

The angle of the surface does not significantly affect the motion of the ball after one bounce. However, if the surface is inclined, the acceleration due to gravity will be split into two components: one parallel to the surface and one perpendicular to the surface. This may slightly alter the path of the ball after one bounce, but the overall motion will remain the same.

5. How can we calculate the time of flight for the ball after one bounce?

The time of flight for the ball after one bounce can be calculated using the equation: t = 2v0/g, where v0 is the initial velocity and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes that the ball is launched and lands at the same height.