Projectile Motion Practice Problems | Calculate Distance and Maximum Height

In summary, the golfer projected a golf ball at a speed of 30.9 m/s 28° to the horizontal. The ball traveled a distance of 103.2 m and reached a height of 13.7 m above the level of the tee.
Rumplestiltskin

Homework Statement

A golfer is about to hit a golf ball from a tee to a hole on the green. The tee and the green are at the same level. The golfer hits the ball, projecting it at a speed of 35 m/s 28° to the horizontal. Air resistance is negligible. Calculate:
a) the horizontal distance traveled by the ball before first landing on the green (2 marks)
b) the maximum height reached by the ball above the level of the tee (2 marks)

Homework Equations

SUVAT

The Attempt at a Solution

a) On the horizontal plane:
s = ?
u = 35cos28 = 30.9 m/s
v = ?
a = 0
t = ?

Okay, let's see if we can find v. With the horizontal component of the velocity remaining constant, we'd need to work out the vertical component and resolve. But I'd need the time to work out the final vertical component with v = u + at, which is useless, because I'd be able to use d = st if I had the time. I'm not seeing an obvious way to find it.

EDIT: Hold up - I'm just looking at the horizontal component here, and that's going to remain constant, so v = u = 30.9 m/s. But where would I go from here? Could I just double the value for time I found in part b), since the maximum height would be at the half point of the trajectory? (Right?)
1.67 x 2 = 3.34s
3.34 x 30.9 = 103.2m. Anyone?

b) On the vertical plane:
s = ?
u = 35sin28 = 16.4 m/s
v = 0
a = -9.8
t = (0 - 16.4) / -9.8 = 1.67s

s = (16.4 x 1.67) + (0.5 x -9.8 x 1.672) = 13.7m. Can someone confirm?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dr. Courtney said:
What does SUVAT mean?

This going somewhere? It's a set of projectile motion equations.

Yes, right, you could also use:

t= u/g

h= u^2 /g - 1/2 *g* (u^2/g^2)= u^2/(2g)

h= u^2 /(2g)

(It's the same thing but I express the maximum h using u and g)

Rumplestiltskin said:
This going somewhere? It's a set of projectile motion equations.

What does it stand for?

Saying the relevant equations for a projectile motion problem is "a set of projectile motion equations" does not really answer the question.

Dr. Courtney said:
What does it stand for?

Saying the relevant equations for a projectile motion problem is "a set of projectile motion equations" does not really answer the question.

This seems tedious, but I'll play along.
s = displacement
u = initial velocity
v = final velocity
a = acceleration
t = time

Are you making a point that s = displacement, not distance?

EDIT: I've edited in a proposed solution to a). Could you take a look?

You appear to have calculated the time for the vertical velocity to reach zero. That's not the time for the whole flight.

Once you have the total flight time that will be the same for the horizontal motion which is constant velocity.

Oops I miss read your post. You did remember to double the time.

Likes Rumplestiltskin
Rumplestiltskin said:
EDIT: Hold up - I'm just looking at the horizontal component here, and that's going to remain constant, so v = u = 30.9 m/s. But where would I go from here? Could I just double the value for time I found in part b), since the maximum height would be at the half point of the trajectory? (Right?)
1.67 x 2 = 3.34s
3.34 x 30.9 = 103.2m. Anyone?

b) On the vertical plane:
s = ?
u = 35sin28 = 16.4 m/s
v = 0
a = -9.8
t = (0 - 16.4) / -9.8 = 1.67s

s = (16.4 x 1.67) + (0.5 x -9.8 x 1.672) = 13.7m. Can someone confirm?
looks good.

Likes Rumplestiltskin

1. What is SUVAT projectile motion?

SUVAT projectile motion is a type of motion where an object is thrown or launched at an angle to the ground and moves through the air under the influence of gravity.

2. What does "SUVAT" stand for?

SUVAT is an acronym that stands for the five main variables used to describe projectile motion: displacement (s), initial velocity (u), final velocity (v), acceleration (a), and time (t).

3. How is SUVAT projectile motion calculated?

To calculate SUVAT projectile motion, you need to use the equations of motion, which are based on the five variables. These equations can be rearranged and used to solve for any of the variables, as long as you have enough information.

4. What is the difference between vertical and horizontal projectile motion?

Vertical projectile motion refers to the motion of an object in the vertical direction (up and down) while horizontal projectile motion refers to the motion of an object in the horizontal direction (left and right). In SUVAT projectile motion, both vertical and horizontal components are taken into account to fully describe the motion of the object.

5. What factors affect SUVAT projectile motion?

The factors that affect SUVAT projectile motion include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the gravitational acceleration of the object. Other factors such as wind, altitude, and the shape of the object can also have an impact.