Final velocity in SUVAT equations -- ball thrown from a wall

In summary: It is obvious that contact with the ground causes a new force to suddenly enter into the picture, and this new force introduces a new acceleration in opposition and much greater in magnitude than gravity. So the former equations would need to be updated with the new data to account for the observed behaviour if it were important that we continue to model the projectile's path after contact with the... ground.In summary, the ball will come to a stop at the base of the wall after traveling up for 0.5 seconds.
gracy

Homework Statement

:[/B]There is a wall of height 30 meters.From the top edge of the wall a ball is thrown up with a velocity of 5m/s.Find the time taken by the ball to come to the base of the wall.
Take g=10 m/s^2

Homework Equations

:I used
V=u+at[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

v=0 as ball will come to rest when it will reach at base of the wall.
u=5 m/s
a= - 10 m/s^2( negative because of chosen coordinate system)
so time come out to be 0.5 s
But it is wrong it should be 3s.
I think I am going wrong in taking final velocity equal to zero.
So I should rather use s=ut +1/2at^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the final velocity is not zero. The SUVAT equations are only valid for constant acceleration. When the ball hits the ground it undergoes a completely different acceleration, the the equations are only valid up to an instant before that.
In this case, you do not know the final velocity, and do not need to determine it. There are five variables in the SUVAT equations, and each of the five equations involves four of them. Typically, you know the values of three and wish to find a fourth. List what those four variables are and select the equation that includes them.

Likes gracy
gracy said:
I should rather use s=ut +1/2at^2
S= - 30 meters
u=5 meters
a=- 10 m/s^2
-30=5t+1/2 (-10)t^2
-30 =5t-5t^2
0=-5t^2+5t+30
it takes a shape of quadratic equation.
so will have to use below formula
quadratic.png

t= - 5 ± √(5)^2-4 (-5)30/2(-5)
t=-5 ± √625/(-10)
t=-5 ±25/(-10)
t=3 or -2
time can not be negative hence t=3s

Right?

gracy said:
S= - 30 meters
u=5 meters
a=- 10 m/s^2
-30=5t+1/2 (-10)t^2
-30 =5t-5t^2
0=-5t^2+5t+30
it takes a shape of quadratic equation.
so will have to use below formula
View attachment 82070
t= - 5 ± √(5)^2-4 (-5)30/2(-5)
t=-5 ± √625/(-10)
t=-5 ±25/(-10)
t=3 or -2
time can not be negative hence t=3s

Right?
That's all correct, but you should be more careful with parentheses. E.g. your expression - 5 ± √(5)^2-4 (-5)30/2(-5), taken literally, says - 5 ± (√(5))^2-((4 (-5)30/2)(-5)), giving a very different result. You should have written (- 5 ± √(5^2-4 (-5)30))/(2(-5)).
Also, you could have made it a bit easier by first simplifying 0=-5t^2+5t+30 to t^2-t-6=0. Then you might have spotted the factorisation (t-3)(t+2).
Note the physical significance of the -2 solution. It means that if a ball were thrown up from the ground such that after 2 seconds it reaches the top of the wall then it will at that point have an upward speed of 5m/s, and from that point on it will look exactly like the given problem.

If an object is thrown from certain height with horizontal velocity,it's final (when it touches the ground)will be zero,right?
But when we use suvat equation V sub y =u sub y +a sub y t
u sub y=0
V sub y =a sub y t
as a sub y=9.8 m/s^2 (taking downward direction positive)
t= time of flight which is also non zero.
V sub y can not be zero.Right?

gracy said:
V sub y can not be zero.Right?
That's right, it can't be zero. Under fixed acceleration of 10m/s2 once released with vy = 0m/s its velocity can only increase, it cannot again become 0m/s.

As haruspex explained, to be brought to standstill it must be acted on by a different acceleration, and you have not performed calculations with acceleration other than 10m/s downwards.

NascentOxygen said:
As haruspex explained, to be brought to standstill it must be acted on by a different acceleration,
But I am not saying that object will be standing still,there may be some final horizontal velocity,I am concern about final vertical velocity.Is it also non zero?

gracy said:
But I am not saying that object will be standing still,there may be some final horizontal velocity,I am concern about final vertical velocity.Is it also non zero?
The horizontal and vertical motions can be considered independently, so a "vertical standstill" need not imply a "horizontal standstill". I was considering only vertical motion.

The horizontal component of velocity is unaffected by gravity, though we all know that once the projectile encounters the ground conditions instantly change with the result that both of its velocity components will almost immediately drop to 0m/s.

Likes gracy
NascentOxygen said:
both of its velocity components will almost immediately drop to 0m/s.
But according to
V=u+at
The velocities can not be zero.

gracy said:
But according to
V=u+at
The velocities can not be zero.
That's right, the equations say that speed must go on increasing forever and without limit, and it will UNLESS the acceleration changes from 10m/s2.

It is obvious that contact with the ground causes a new force to suddenly enter into the picture, and this new force introduces a new acceleration in opposition and much greater in magnitude than gravity. So the former equations would need to be updated with the new data to account for the observed behaviour if it were important that we continue to model the projectile's path after contact with the ground.

Likes gracy
Oh!I got your point.

Likes NascentOxygen
Likes NascentOxygen

1. What is the SUVAT equation for finding final velocity for a ball thrown from a wall?

The SUVAT equation for finding final velocity in this scenario is v = u + at, where:

• v is the final velocity (in meters per second)
  • u is the initial velocity (in meters per second)
  • a is the acceleration (in meters per second squared)
  • t is the time (in seconds)

2. How do you determine the initial velocity in the SUVAT equation for a ball thrown from a wall?

The initial velocity in the SUVAT equation can be determined by knowing the height of the wall and the angle at which the ball is thrown. Using basic trigonometry, the initial velocity can be calculated as u = v0cosθ, where:

• v0 is the initial velocity (in meters per second)
  • θ is the angle of projection (in degrees)

3. How does gravity affect the final velocity of a ball thrown from a wall?

Gravity plays a significant role in determining the final velocity of a ball thrown from a wall. As the ball moves through the air, it will experience a constant acceleration due to gravity, which will affect its final velocity. This acceleration can be calculated as -9.8 m/s2 and will be considered as the value for a in the SUVAT equation.

4. Can the final velocity be negative in the SUVAT equation for a ball thrown from a wall?

Yes, the final velocity can be negative in the SUVAT equation for a ball thrown from a wall. This indicates that the ball is moving downwards, towards the ground. A positive final velocity would indicate that the ball is moving upwards, away from the ground.

5. How can the final velocity be used to determine the distance traveled by the ball?

The final velocity can be used, along with the initial velocity, acceleration, and time, to determine the distance traveled by the ball. This can be done by using the equation s = ut + 1/2at2, where:

• s is the distance traveled (in meters)
  • u is the initial velocity (in meters per second)
  • a is the acceleration (in meters per second squared)
  • t is the time (in seconds)