Bases and Coordinates: B1 and B2 for [R][/3] - Homework Statement

In summary, we showed that B1 is a basis for [R][/3] by finding a unique solution for all coefficients in the system of equations. We also found the coordinates of w=(2,3,1) relative to B1 to be (3,0,-1) and the transition matrix [P[/B1→B2] to be 2/3, 1/3, 1/3; 2/3, -2/3, 1/3; 1/6, 5/6, 1/3. Using this transition matrix, we found the coordinates of w relative to B2 to be (5,-2,0). The relationship between [P[/B
Eleni

Homework Statement

Let B1={([u][/1]),([u][/2]),([u][/3])}={(1,1,1),(0,2,-1),(1,0,2)} and
B2={([v][/1]),([v][/2]),([v][/3])}={(1,0,1),(1,-1,2),(0,2,1)}
a) Show that B1 is a basis for [R][/3]
b) Find the coordinates of w=(2,3,1) relative to B1
c)Given that B2 is a basis for [R[/3], find the transition matrix [P[/B1→B2]
d) Use the transition matrix [P[/B1→B2] to find the coordinates of w relative to B2
e) What is the relationship between [P[/B1→B2] and [P[/B2→B1]? Find [P[/B2→B1]
f) Suppose [[x]][/B2]= (0, 3, -1). Use the appropriate transition matrix to find [[x]][/B1]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) if B1 is a basis for [R][/3] then there should be a unique solution for all the coefficients where;
[x][/1] [u][/1] + [x][/2] [u][/2] + [x][/3][u][/3]=(0,0,0)

the system of equation gives the matrix of the form;

1 0 1 1 0 0
1 2 0 0 1 0
1 -1 2 →RREF = 0 0 1
solving for Ax=0 gives [x][/1] [u][/1] + [x][/2] [u][/2] + [x][/3][u][/3]=(0,0,0)
Thus a unique solution exists for all R(X)∈[R][/3] and B1 is a basis for [R][/3]

b) To find w relative to B1 we use the equation from part a) and sub in w values.

[[w]][/B1] = [x][/1] (1,1,1) + [x][/2] (0,2,-1) + [x][/3](1,0,2)=(2,3,1)

This is matrix form yeilds;

1 0 1 2 1 0 0 3
1 2 0 3 0 1 0 0
1 -1 2 1→RREF = 0 0 1 -1
∴ [x][/1] = 3
[x][/2] = 0
[x][/3] = -1

So the coordinate vector [[w]][/B1] = (3, 0, -1)

c) The transition matrix [P[/B1→B2] =

1 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 2/3 2/3 1/6
1 -1 2 1 2 0 0 1 0 1/3 -2/3 5/6
0 2 1 1 -1 2 →RREF = 0 0 1 1/3 1/3 1/3

∴ The transition matrix [P[/B1→B2] = 2/3 2/3 1/6
1/3 -2/3 5/6
1/3 1/3 1/3
d) To find [[w]][/B2] we will callculate [[P[/B1→B2]][w]

2/3 2/3 1/6 2 1 0 0 5
1/3 -2/3 5/6 3 0 1 0 -2
1/3 1/3 1/3 1 →RREF = 0 0 1 0

∴ The coordinate vector of [[w]][/B2] = (5,-2,0)

e)What is the relationship between [P[/B1→B2] and [P[/B2→B1]? Find [P[/B2→B1]

I am unsure about this one. I am sure there must be a theorem or rule regarding this but I can't find it in my textbook.

f) I am guessing that once I have found [P[/B2→B1] then I can find [[x][/B1] the same as I found [[w]][/B2] but with the transition matrix from [P[/B2→B1] in part e)I am not 100% confident in my answers part parts a) through to d) so if you can see errors please correct me. However I am predominantly concerned with parts e) and f)

I thank you in advance for any advice and help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eleni said:

Homework Statement

Let B1={([u][/1]),([u][/2]),([u][/3])}={(1,1,1),(0,2,-1),(1,0,2)} and
B2={([v][/1]),([v][/2]),([v][/3])}={(1,0,1),(1,-1,2),(0,2,1)}
a) Show that B1 is a basis for [R][/3]
b) Find the coordinates of w=(2,3,1) relative to B1
c)Given that B2 is a basis for [R[/3], find the transition matrix [P[/B1→B2]
d) Use the transition matrix [P[/B1→B2] to find the coordinates of w relative to B2
e) What is the relationship between [P[/B1→B2] and [P[/B2→B1]? Find [P[/B2→B1]
f) Suppose [[x]][/B2]= (0, 3, -1). Use the appropriate transition matrix to find [[x]][/B1]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) if B1 is a basis for [R][/3] then there should be a unique solution for all the coefficients where;
[x][/1] [u][/1] + [x][/2] [u][/2] + [x][/3][u][/3]=(0,0,0)

the system of equation gives the matrix of the form;

1 0 1 1 0 0
1 2 0 0 1 0
1 -1 2 →RREF = 0 0 1
solving for Ax=0 gives [x][/1] [u][/1] + [x][/2] [u][/2] + [x][/3][u][/3]=(0,0,0)
Thus a unique solution exists for all R(X)∈[R][/3] and B1 is a basis for [R][/3]

b) To find w relative to B1 we use the equation from part a) and sub in w values.

[[w]][/B1] = [x][/1] (1,1,1) + [x][/2] (0,2,-1) + [x][/3](1,0,2)=(2,3,1)

This is matrix form yeilds;

1 0 1 2 1 0 0 3
1 2 0 3 0 1 0 0
1 -1 2 1→RREF = 0 0 1 -1
∴ [x][/1] = 3
[x][/2] = 0
[x][/3] = -1

So the coordinate vector [[w]][/B1] = (3, 0, -1)

c) The transition matrix [P[/B1→B2] =

1 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 2/3 2/3 1/6
1 -1 2 1 2 0 0 1 0 1/3 -2/3 5/6
0 2 1 1 -1 2 →RREF = 0 0 1 1/3 1/3 1/3

∴ The transition matrix [P[/B1→B2] = 2/3 2/3 1/6
1/3 -2/3 5/6
1/3 1/3 1/3
d) To find [[w]][/B2] we will callculate [[P[/B1→B2]][w]

2/3 2/3 1/6 2 1 0 0 5
1/3 -2/3 5/6 3 0 1 0 -2
1/3 1/3 1/3 1 →RREF = 0 0 1 0

∴ The coordinate vector of [[w]][/B2] = (5,-2,0)

e)What is the relationship between [P[/B1→B2] and [P[/B2→B1]? Find [P[/B2→B1]

I am unsure about this one. I am sure there must be a theorem or rule regarding this but I can't find it in my textbook.

f) I am guessing that once I have found [P[/B2→B1] then I can find [[x][/B1] the same as I found [[w]][/B2] but with the transition matrix from [P[/B2→B1] in part e)I am not 100% confident in my answers part parts a) through to d) so if you can see errors please correct me. However I am predominantly concerned with parts e) and f)

I thank you in advance for any advice and help.

Please, please, please try to avoid the horrible notation [u][/1], etc. If you mean u1 just use plain ASCII---like u_1-- or else use the "x2" button on the input panel at the top of the input page, which is what I used to get u1. Better still, use LaTeX, and write ##u_1## or ##{\bf u}_1##, etc.

I won't even try to read your material---it hurts my eyes to do so.

However, for the last question (about the relationship between the matrices ##R = P[B_1 \to B_2]## and ##S = P[B_2 \to B_1]##, just think about what these matrices accomplish. What must happen to a vector ##{\bf x} = (a,b,c)## in basis ##B_1## when you apply ##R## to it, then apply ##S## to the first result? In other words, look at ##B_1 \to B_2 \to B_1## and ask yourself what you must get.

BTW: if you want to see what was the LaTeX code I wrote, just right-click on a displayed expression and choose the menu item "Show math as → Tex commands". You will see it is an order of magnitude easier to write than what you were typing.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Please, please, please try to avoid the horrible notation [u][/1], etc. If you mean u1 just use plain ASCII---like u_1-- or else use the "x2" button on the input panel at the top of the input page, which is what I used to get u1. Better still, use LaTeX, and write ##u_1## or ##{\bf u}_1##, etc.

However, for the last question (about the relationship between the matrices ##R = P[B_1 \to B_2]## and ##S = P[B_2 \to B_1]##, just think about what these matrices accomplish. What must happen to a vector ##{\bf x} = (a,b,c)## in basis ##B_1## when you apply ##R## to it, then apply ##S## to the first result? In other words, look at ##B_1 \to B_2 \to B_1## and ask yourself what you must get.

BTW: if you want to see what was the LaTeX code I wrote, just right-click on a displayed expression and choose the menu item "Show math as → Tex commands". You will see it is an order of magnitude easier to write than what you were typing.

My apologies for the absolutely horrible notation. I used the "x2" button but deleted Sub and replaced it with my values (as I have never used this type of button before.) I was very disappointed to have typed out the entire question, post it and then find that it did not make sense as it had when I typed it in the draft box. That will teach me to preview my work before hand. Apologies again and thank you for pointing me to latex I will try and make sure my posts make more sense in the future

Ray Vickson said:

When you write u, followed by a click on the x2 button you will see on your screen u[S UB][/S UB] (remove the spaces!), and with your cursor situated between the "]" and the "[". Just type whatever you want in that space and then use your mouse (or arrow keys) to go past the last "]".

1. What are bases and coordinates?

Bases and coordinates are mathematical concepts used to describe the location of a point or object in a specific space. A base is a reference point or origin, while coordinates are a set of numbers or values that indicate the position of a point relative to that base.

2. What are the different types of bases and coordinates?

The most common types of bases and coordinates are Cartesian, polar, and spherical. Cartesian coordinates use x, y, and z axes to locate a point in three-dimensional space. Polar coordinates use a distance from the origin and an angle to locate a point on a two-dimensional plane. Spherical coordinates use a distance, an azimuth angle, and an elevation angle to locate a point in three-dimensional space.

3. How are bases and coordinates used in science?

Bases and coordinates are used in various scientific fields, including physics, astronomy, and engineering. They are used to describe the position and movement of objects, map out trajectories, and determine relationships between different points or objects in a given space.

4. What is the significance of the origin in bases and coordinates?

The origin is the reference point from which all coordinates are measured. It is a crucial component in understanding the position and movement of objects in a space. The choice of origin can affect the accuracy and interpretation of coordinates, so it is important to establish a clear and consistent origin for any given system.

5. How do you convert between different types of bases and coordinates?

Conversion between bases and coordinates can be done using mathematical formulas or equations specific to each type. For example, to convert from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, you would use the equations r = √(x^2 + y^2) and θ = tan^-1 (y/x). It is important to carefully follow the correct formula and consider any unit conversions when converting between different types of bases and coordinates.