Basic Calculus: Differentiation usage

In summary, the problem involves finding the rate of change of the area of a rectangle with one side increasing at 2 cm/s and the other decreasing at 3 cm/s, given that one side is 10 cm and the other is 8 cm. Two approaches are provided, with the second one being the correct solution. The rate of growth at t=0 is -14 and the growth rate for other t values can be found by filling in the correct values for b and a. It is recommended to type out solutions instead of posting images for easier readability.
EEristavi
Problem:
How fast is the area of a rectangle changing if one side is I0 cm
long and is increasing at a rate of 2 cm/s and the other side is 8 cm
long and is decreasing at a rate of 3 cm/s?I have 2 approach and I want to know which is correct, why and what am I missing

Attachments

• calc.jpg
    calc.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 325
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello EE, :welcome:

Why do you use t=2 in the second approach ? Why not 1, 1/2, 1/10 or 1/1000 ? What is the limit for ##t\downarrow 0## ?

Oh, and read the PF rules -- they in fact don't allow me to answer your post as is...

EEristavi said:
Problem:
How fast is the area of a rectangle changing if one side is I0 cm
long and is increasing at a rate of 2 cm/s and the other side is 8 cm
long and is decreasing at a rate of 3 cm/s?I have 2 approach and I want to know which is correct, why and what am I missing

You should type out your solution; most helpers will not look at images of handwritten work. Read the thread "Guidelines for students and helpers", by Vela, for more on this issue.

Ray, I thought micromass posted the guidelines (link in post #2 -- and I see EE was indeed reading them :smile: Good!)

EE: In fact you worked out s alright in approach 2. ##80 - 14 t - 6 t^2##. The derivative is correct too: ## {dS\over dt} = 14 - 12 t ## and my
BvU said:
Why do you use t=2 in the second approach ?
was mistaken.
the rate of growth at ##t=0## comes out the same: ##-14## (but you forgot the minus sign in 1).

The rate of growth for other ##t## comes out the same too if you fill in the correct ##b## and ##a## !

And I agree with Ray about typing instead of posting a picture. But I ve seen a lot of pictures a lot worse than yours -- and this Is your first thread.

BvU said:
But I ve seen a lot of pictures a lot worse than yours
I've seen a lot that were better, too. The image posted here is very small and not well lit, making it harder to read.

Thank you everyone for helping me and giving tips :)

Related to Basic Calculus: Differentiation usage

What is differentiation in calculus?

Differentiation is a mathematical process used to calculate the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It involves finding the slope of a line tangent to the curve of a function.

Why is differentiation important in calculus?

Differentiation is important in calculus because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of functions. It helps us find maximum and minimum values, determine concavity, and solve optimization problems.

How do you use differentiation in real life?

Differentiation is used in various real-life applications such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. For example, it can be used to calculate the velocity of a moving object or the rate of change of a population over time.

What are the basic rules of differentiation?

The basic rules of differentiation include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules are used to find the derivatives of various functions.

What are the common mistakes made when using differentiation?

Some common mistakes made when using differentiation include forgetting to apply the chain rule, misapplying the product or quotient rule, and incorrectly differentiating trigonometric functions. It is important to carefully follow the rules and double check your work to avoid these mistakes.