Basic geometry problem with triangle

In summary, given a right triangle with a hypotenuse of 5 and an area of 6, the measurements of the legs can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem and the formula for the area of a triangle. By setting one leg as x and using the theorem, the other leg can be expressed as √(52 - x2). The equation for the area, 6 = (x * √(52 - x2))/2, can be simplified to 12 = x * √(52 - x2). This can be solved using the formula for quadratic equations, and the solutions can be found by taking the square root of x2.
Alex126
Given a right triangle, where the hypotenuse measures 5, and the area measures 6, calculate the measurements of the legs.

This is a problem I thought of, and I was wondering how to mathematically solve it with an equation.

I tried calling one leg x.
So the other leg, because of Pitagora's theorem, is: √(52 - x2)

The area is equal to the product of the legs divided by two, so:

6 = (x * √(52 - x2))/2
12 = x * √(52 - x2)

Problem is, I don't know how to solve the equation beyond the first basic step lol

Btw, I know it can be solved with Euclide's second theorem, but I was wondering how to solve it with Pitagora, if it's possible to solve that equation I wrote. So basically I'm asking how to solve that equation.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, you know a2 + b2 = 25 and ab/2 = 6. So you can work out a2 + 2ab + b2 and a2 - 2ab + b2; hence a + b and a - b, hence a and b.

Likes Alex126 and mfb
Alex126 said:
Btw, I know it can be solved with Euclide's second theorem, but I was wondering how to solve it with Pitagora, if it's possible to solve that equation I wrote. So basically I'm asking how to solve that equation.
You can solve the last equation by squaring it, afterwards it is a quadratic equation in x2.
The approach described by mjc123 is easier, however.

mjc123 said:
Well, you know a2 + b2 = 25 and ab/2 = 6. So you can work out a2 + 2ab + b2 and a2 - 2ab + b2; hence a + b and a - b, hence a and b.
That's actually nice lol Thanks for the input.
mfb said:
You can solve the last equation by squaring it, afterwards it is a quadratic equation in x2.
I think that's what I was looking forward to doing, but I don't know how that would work. So, could you elaborate on the passages required? I only know about the property where you can sum/subtract, multiply/divide something left and right in an equation, but I don't know how to proceed with "squaring".

If c=d, then c2=d2. If you know that both c and d are positive (which is the case here), the reverse direction is true as well.

Wouldn't I get 144 = x2 * (25-x2) from 12 = x * √(52 - x2) then?
It would continue as 144 = 25 x2 - x4, which would be a grade-four equation.

It is a quartic equation in x, but a quadratic equation in x2.

144 = 25 (x2) - (x2)2

You can solve for x2 with the usual formula for quadratic equations. Afterwards you can take the square root to find x.

Likes Alex126
Aaaah I see. Neat, thanks a lot :D

Related to Basic geometry problem with triangle

1. What is a triangle?

A triangle is a closed two-dimensional shape with three sides and three angles.

2. What are the types of triangles?

The types of triangles are equilateral, isosceles, and scalene. Equilateral triangles have three equal sides and three equal angles. Isosceles triangles have two equal sides and two equal angles. Scalene triangles have no equal sides or angles.

3. How do you find the perimeter of a triangle?

The perimeter of a triangle is the sum of the lengths of all three sides. To find the perimeter, add the length of each side together.

4. How do you find the area of a triangle?

The area of a triangle can be found by using the formula A = 1/2 * base * height, where base is the length of the triangle's base and height is the length of the perpendicular line from the base to the opposite vertex.

5. How can you determine if a triangle is right, acute, or obtuse?

A right triangle has one angle that measures 90 degrees. An acute triangle has all angles that measure less than 90 degrees. An obtuse triangle has one angle that measures more than 90 degrees.