Viewing stars through a refracting telescope?

In summary, a refracting telescope will magnify planets but not change their brightness due to the inverse relationship between magnification and surface brightness. This is because the objective lens collects more light from the star, but the image is still limited by diffraction and appears as a point source. However, when comparing a larger telescope with a smaller one at the same magnification, the surface brightness of the planet does increase. This is due to the larger scope collecting more light and the total light being spread out over a larger area.
21joanna12
Hello! I am learning about refracting telescopes and am slightly confused. I have read that a refracting telescope will magnify planets, but not change their brightness, but will not magnify stars as these will remain as point objects. It just makes the stars appear brighter. I am slightly confused by this because reading through my textbook, it seemed like the refracting telescope produces a magnified image of a star and the image is inverted and virtual,,, although I can't understand how you produce an enlarged image of a point object either!

I am also confused because I understand that the stars will appear brighter because the objective lens collects more light from the star than the pupil, but then why do planets not appear brighter by the same principle?

Thank you in advance!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Brightness is intensity/area.

Likes 21joanna12
The image of a star in a telescope has a certain size, but this is due to diffraction in the optics (as you say, the star is a point source). You need high magnification to see it, and with good optics it looks like this : http://cdn.cambridgeincolour.com/images/tutorials/airydisk-rings.jpg. The smaller the telescope, and the higher the magnification, the bigger that image is.

As for planets, a bigger scope does collect more light and the total intensity increases with a larger objective lens. However if you then use the same eyepiece on both telescopes, the bigger scope will have higher magnification, and the total light is spread out over a larger area - the two effects exactly cancel out.

If you use the bigger scope at the same magnification as the smaller one though, then the surface brightness of the planet does increase.

When you compare naked eye (say 7mm pupil, 1x magnification) with for instance 50x on a 80mm refractor, the surface brightness changes by a factor ## (\frac{80}{7}\cdot\frac{1}{50})^2\simeq0.05 ##: it gets 20x less bright per area.

Likes 21joanna12

1. How does a refracting telescope work?

A refracting telescope uses a lens to gather and focus light from distant objects, such as stars. The lens bends the light and brings it to a focal point, where it can be magnified and viewed by the user.

2. What is the difference between a refracting and reflecting telescope?

A refracting telescope uses a lens to gather and focus light, while a reflecting telescope uses a mirror. Refracting telescopes tend to be smaller and more portable, while reflecting telescopes can gather more light and produce higher quality images.

3. Can you see all the stars in the night sky through a refracting telescope?

No, a refracting telescope can only view a small portion of the night sky at a time. It also depends on the telescope's magnification and aperture size. Some stars may be too faint to be seen even with a powerful telescope.

4. How do I choose the right refracting telescope for stargazing?

The most important factors to consider when choosing a refracting telescope for stargazing are its aperture (diameter of the lens), focal length, and magnification. The larger the aperture and focal length, the more light can be gathered and the higher the magnification will be.

5. Can I use a refracting telescope to view other celestial objects besides stars?

Yes, a refracting telescope can be used to view other celestial objects such as planets, the moon, and even some deep-sky objects like galaxies and nebulae. However, the quality of the view will depend on the telescope's capabilities and the object's brightness and distance.