What Angle Should a Basketball Player Aim to Score from 15 Feet Away?

• Thread starter negation
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basketball
In summary: Strange. I'm not getting the answer even after correcting that positive sign and changing it to a negative.But I think it's good enough to leave it here since the problem solving part is much more important than the minute calculation details.
negation

Homework Statement

A basketball player is 15ft horizontally from the centre of the basket which is 10ft off the ground At what angle should the player aim the ball from a height of 8.2ft with a speed of 26fts^-1?

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] x = vi cos . t [/itex]
[itex]t = \frac{x}{vi cos Θ}[/itex]

sub t into y(t):

1.8 = [vi^2 sin2Θ - gx^2]/2vi^2 cos^2 Θ

Θ= 22.6

The answer stated solution to be 66°

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello again. Don't recognize your y(t) expression. Where did you start from and how did you derive it ?

BvU said:
Hello again. Don't recognize your y(t) expression. Where did you start from and how did you derive it ?

Y(t) is the y displacement as a function of time.
It has the form yf = yi + vyi. t - 0.5gt^2
t= x/ vi cos (theta), vi=26ft/s, yf=10, yi=8.2 and g = 32ft/s^2
I sub t and the known variables into the above equation. What I got was 22 degrees. But this contrasts with the book's

Funny, I substitute t = x/(vi cos(theta)) in vyi * t with vyi = vi sin(theta) and get x * sin(theta)/cos(theta) !? You can change to 2theta which should introduce a 2 (which you do take into account) but it shouldn't let the x disappear !

BvU said:
Funny, I substitute t = x/(vi cos(theta)) in vyi * t with vyi = vi sin(theta) and get x * sin(theta)/cos(theta) !? You can change to 2theta which should introduce a 2 (which you do take into account) but it shouldn't let the x disappear !

Where is your vi? Shouldn't it be x.vi sinΘ/vi cos Θ?

vi/vi = 1

BvU said:

Capture.JPG

The answer doesn't tally with the book's

I see you multiply by vi^2cos^2(theta) on the righthand side. To keep the equality valid, you have to do so also on the lefthand side. I.e. the 1.8 changes...

BvU said:
I see you multiply by vi^2cos^2(theta) on the righthand side. To keep the equality valid, you have to do so also on the lefthand side. I.e. the 1.8 changes...
Quite so, but I don't think this approach is leading anywhere.
negation, go back to the third line of your attachment: "1.8 = " etc.
sin/cos = tan; 1/cos2 = sec2.
Using sec2 = 1 + tan2 you get a quadratic in tan.

BvU said:

I overlooked that but still it's not working out

haruspex said:

Let me try

haruspex said:

I'm getting 22.4 degrees. Still, it doesn't tally with the book's

negation said:
I'm getting 22.4 degrees. Still, it doesn't tally with the book's
I get a much larger angle. Please post your working.

haruspex said:
i get a much larger angle. Please post your working.

Capture.JPG

haruspex said:
6th line (1.8 vi2 = ...), check the sign on the tan2 term.

Ought to have been a negative

haruspex said:
6th line (1.8 vi2 = ...), check the sign on the tan2 term.

Did you got 72.8?

No, should be 65.67 degrees if g = 32
Filling in 72.8 doesn't satisfy your final equation with the corrected sign: some 9630 off!
A check you should always do (if you have time enough)

Likes 1 person
BvU said:
No, should be 65.67 degrees if g = 32
Filling in 72.8 doesn't satisfy your final equation with the corrected sign: some 9630 off!
A check you should always do (if you have time enough)

Strange. I'm not getting the answer even after correcting that positive sign and changing it to a negative.
But I think it's good enough to leave it here since the problem solving part is much more important than the minute calculation details.

solved.

Congrats! I heartily agree with your #19 post but have to admit that you get more reward, satisfaction, etc. from getting the right answer. And it contributes to saving the world from collapsing bridges and crashing airplanes ;-)
Keep up the good work.

Likes 1 person

What is the optimal shooting form for a basketball player?

The optimal shooting form for a basketball player is one that is consistent, efficient, and comfortable for the individual. Generally, it involves a balanced stance, proper hand and arm placement, and a smooth release with the dominant hand. However, every player may have slight variations in their shooting form based on their body type and preferences.

What are some common mistakes that basketball players make when shooting?

Some common mistakes that basketball players make when shooting include improper footwork, not following through with their shot, and not using their legs enough to generate power in their shot. Other mistakes can include rushing shots, not focusing on the target, and not using their non-dominant hand to guide the ball.

How can a basketball player improve their shooting accuracy?

A basketball player can improve their shooting accuracy through consistent practice, proper technique, and developing muscle memory. It is also important to focus on the target, use proper footwork, and have a consistent release point. Additionally, working on core strength and leg power can also help improve shooting accuracy.

What role does mental focus play in a basketball player's shooting ability?

Mental focus plays a crucial role in a basketball player's shooting ability. Having confidence and a positive mindset can help a player make shots under pressure. Visualizing successful shots and staying focused on the present moment can also improve shooting accuracy. On the other hand, negative thoughts and distractions can negatively impact a player's shooting performance.

How can a basketball player improve their shooting consistency?

To improve shooting consistency, a basketball player can focus on developing a routine for their shots. This can include a consistent stance, hand placement, and release point. Additionally, practicing at game-like speeds and situations can also help a player become more consistent when shooting. It is also important to listen to feedback from coaches and teammates and make adjustments as needed.