Battery Charging: Defects, Stipulation, Erosion, & More

In summary, lead acid batteries require an initial charging, a normal charging (usually overnight), and a trickle charging (sometimes called "float" charging), while lithium ion batteries may only require a normal charging. Lead acid batteries require more frequent charging than lithium ion batteries, due to their lower storage capacity.
snober
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical engineering forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hey guys ,
I want to know about the battery defects like stipulation , erosion , sedimentation , seperator defects .

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hey guys ,
can anybody tell me about the charging methods of battery like ;
Initial charging , Normal charging and intermittent charging.

hey please help me out ,
What are the functions of various components of two unit , three unit and heavy duty Regulators ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Lead acid? lithium? Ni Mh... every battery type is different

Battery charging can be quite a sophisticated business. All technologies have different requirements - especially if you want to charge it reasonably quickly. You need to do a bit of general reading round and look at the data sheets on the battery you need to charge.
Personally, I reckon that battery chargers are so cheap, for most technologies and so difficult for others that I'd rather buy one. If it's a Lithium Ion battery then you need to be really careful and it's not an ideal 'first project' for the amateur constructor.

That's rather an open question and it reads a bit like homework(?).
Have you a specific question?

snober said:
Hey guys ,
I want to know about the battery defects like stipulation , erosion , sedimentation , seperator defects .

snober said:
hey guys ,
can anybody tell me about the charging methods of battery like ;
Initial charging , Normal charging and intermittent charging.

snober said:
hey please help me out ,
What are the functions of various components of two unit , three unit and heavy duty Regulators ..

Welcome to the PF.

I have merged your 3 threads on similar topics.

We do require that you show your effort before asking overly-broad questions. Please show us what you have been reading about these subjects, and what you know so far.

What is the context of your questions? Are you working on a battery charging system? Or is this for schoolwork?

First go to wikipedia or some other site and read about charging and characteristics for the battery technology (like lead-acid, lithiun-ion, NiMH, NiCad, etc) you are intertested in. Then, proceed to ask questions about the things you don't understand.

Likes berkeman

Related to Battery Charging: Defects, Stipulation, Erosion, & More

What is the purpose of battery charging?

Battery charging is the process of replenishing the energy in a battery by passing an electrical current through it. This allows the battery to store energy and be used again for powering devices.

What are the common defects in battery charging?

Some common defects in battery charging include overcharging, undercharging, incorrect charging method, and charging with a damaged battery or charger. These defects can lead to reduced battery life and potential safety hazards.

What stipulations should be followed for proper battery charging?

To ensure proper battery charging, it is important to follow the stipulations provided by the battery manufacturer. This may include using the correct charger, charging for the recommended amount of time, and avoiding overcharging or undercharging.

How does battery charging affect battery erosion?

Battery charging can contribute to battery erosion, as the repeated charging and discharging process can cause the battery's internal components to degrade over time. This can lead to reduced battery capacity and overall lifespan.

What are some safety precautions to take when charging a battery?

When charging a battery, it is important to follow safety precautions such as using the correct charger, avoiding overcharging, and keeping the battery and charger away from heat sources. It is also important to monitor the battery and charger for any signs of damage or malfunction.