Mesh analysis -- Where does the negative sign come from?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the equation relating current source IS to currents IA and IB. The confusion arises from the direction of the currents and the positive terminal. The solution is IA + IB = -IS, as the arrows define the positive direction and IA and IB have opposite signs to IS. The proper equation for the top node is A + B = -S, and it is important to label values and define positive directions to avoid sign errors in solving circuits.
ace8888
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hi,

I couldn't figure out from the equation that relate the current source IS to IA and IB. If both IA and IB is coming from the same direction and the positive terminal has been predicted. Wouldnt that be IA + IB = IS?
The solution is IA + IB = -IS. Is the negative comes from the current source actual direction is the opposite of what was predicted, which was positive at the top and negative at the bottom ?

thanks

Attachments

• MESH.JPG
    MESH.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 553
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the arrows. They define the +ve direction. Since the arrows for Ia and Ib are in the opposite direction to ls that means they have the opposite sign.

CWatters said:
Look at the arrows. They define the +ve direction. Since the arrows for Ia and Ib are in the opposite direction to ls that means they have the opposite sign.
Ia and Ib moving in opposite of Is so that should be Ia + Ib - Is = 0. where do they get the Ia + Ib = -Is from?

Could you please share the resource of this calculation?

ace8888 said:
Ia and Ib moving in opposite of Is so that should be Ia + Ib - Is = 0.
No, it most certainly should not. Look at the top node. They all enter, none leave, so the proper equation for that node is A + B + S = 0, or A + B = -S

Likes CWatters
ace8888 said:
Ia and Ib moving in opposite of Is so that should be Ia + Ib - Is = 0. where do they get the Ia + Ib = -Is from?

See reply by phinds.

ace8888 said:
If both IA and IB is coming from the same direction and the positive terminal has been predicted.

I think that might be your mistake.

No values are given for Is or Vs, so either could be -ve. The + and - marks next to Vs don't really "predict" which side of the current source is +ve and -ve. They simply define what a +ve or -ve value of Vis actually means. Likewise for the direction arrow for Is.

When solving circuits you don't always know at the outset which direction a current actually flows or which side of a component is +ve or -ve. What you do is mark up the circuit with voltage and current labels and add arrows or +/- signs to define "what you mean by a +ve" values. Later when you solve the loop equations you might find that some values turn out negative. The most common mistake to make is a sign error.

Just for interest... Depending on the value of Is and other components in your circuit the current Ia and Ia could both be +ve, both be -ve, or one of each.

phinds said:
.. the proper equation for that node is A + B + S = 0, or A + B = -S

Just to add that I find I make fewer sign errors if I write node equations in the form A + B + S = 0 rather than A + B = -S.

CWatters said:
Just to add that I find I make fewer sign errors if I write node equations in the form A + B + S = 0 rather than A + B = -S.
I agree completely. I was simply making the point that the equation he asked about could be trivially derived from what you and I both consider the more correct form.

1. What is Mesh analysis?

Mesh analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the currents flowing in different loops or meshes of a circuit. It is based on Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) and Ohm's Law.

2. How is Mesh analysis different from Nodal analysis?

In Mesh analysis, the currents flowing in different loops of a circuit are calculated, whereas in Nodal analysis, the voltages at different nodes of a circuit are calculated. Both methods are based on Kirchhoff's Laws and can be used to solve different types of circuits.

3. Where does the negative sign come from in Mesh analysis?

The negative sign in Mesh analysis comes from the direction of the current in a loop. According to KVL, the sum of voltage drops around a closed loop should be equal to the sum of voltage sources in that loop. If the direction of the current in a loop is opposite to the assumed direction, the voltage drop will be negative, resulting in a negative sign in the equation.

4. Why is it important to consider the direction of the current in Mesh analysis?

The direction of the current in a loop is important because it determines the sign of the voltage drop in that loop. If the assumed direction of the current is opposite to the actual direction, the voltage drop will be negative, and this will affect the final solution. Therefore, it is crucial to correctly determine the direction of the current in a loop when applying Mesh analysis.

5. Can Mesh analysis be used for any type of circuit?

Yes, Mesh analysis can be used to solve any type of circuit, including circuits with multiple voltage sources and current sources. However, it is more suitable for circuits with a large number of resistors, as it reduces the number of equations that need to be solved compared to Nodal analysis.