Bayesian computation of joint density, marginal posterior

In summary, the conversation discusses the steps to obtain the joint posterior of θ given (α,β,y) and the marginal posterior of (α,β). It also discusses the process of integrating out θ1,...,θp to obtain the marginal posterior. The terms nj and + yj in the joint density are due to θj being a Binomial random variable with parameter nj and the probability of success being θj and the probability of failure being 1-θj.
missavvy

Homework Statement

Hi, so I am having trouble understanding the steps to get to certain densities.

For example, suppose i have data y1,...,yJ ~ Binomial (njj)

We also have that θj ~ Beta (α,β)

Now our joint posterior is:

p(β,α,θ|y) ~ p(α,β) ∏ ([itex]\Gamma[/itex](α+β) / [itex]\Gamma[/itex](α)[itex]\Gamma[/itex](β)) θjα+yj-1(1-θj)β-1+nj-yj

Next, we find the posterior of θ given (α,β,y), the "joint density".

I do not understand this step.

Here is what it is suppose to be:

p(θ|α,β,y)= ∏ ([itex]\Gamma[/itex](α+β+nj) / [itex]\Gamma[/itex](α+yj)[itex]\Gamma[/itex](β+nj-yJ)) θjα+yj-1(1-θj)β-1+nj-yj

How did they get this? In my class and from sources I have read it says you can obtain this by "dropping the terms that are not dependent on θ"... but I do not see where the nj and + yj, etc. came from.

After this step we wish to find the marginal posterior of (α,β), p(α,β|y) ~ p(β,α,θ|y)/p(θ|α,β,y.

Is there another way to do this as well? I know it can also be written as p(α,β|y)~ g(α,β) ∏ f(yj|α,β).

But then, if done this way, what is f(yj|α,β).

In another example:

http://www-stat.wharton.upenn.edu/~edgeorge/Research_papers/GZpriors.pdf

On the 6th page, it says, integrating out θ1,...,θp, we get...
How did they integrate out exactly?I realize these are questions I should know from calculus but I just don't understand the steps to getting these results.

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equationsp(α,β|y)~ g(α,β) ∏ f(yj|α,β)The Attempt at a SolutionFor the first part, I think the term nj that appears in the joint density is due to the fact that θj is a Binomial random variable with parameter nj. The terms + yj arise because the Binomial distribution is defined such that the probability of success is given by θj and the probability of failure is 1-θj and the number of trials (in this case successes) is yj. For the second part, I think that integrating out θ1,...,θp just means that you are taking the integral of the joint density p(α,β,θ|y) over all possible values of θ1,...,θp. This will give you the marginal posterior of (α,β) which is what we are looking for.

1. What is Bayesian computation?

Bayesian computation is a statistical technique used to estimate the probability of an event based on prior knowledge and observed data. It involves using Bayes' theorem to update the prior probability distribution with new evidence to obtain a posterior probability distribution.

2. What is joint density in Bayesian computation?

Joint density refers to the probability distribution of multiple variables considered together. In Bayesian computation, the joint density is used to calculate the probability of multiple variables occurring simultaneously.

3. How is marginal posterior calculated in Bayesian computation?

Marginal posterior is calculated by integrating the joint density over all the variables except the one of interest. This allows us to obtain the posterior probability distribution of a single variable.

4. What is the importance of marginal posterior in Bayesian computation?

Marginal posterior is important in Bayesian computation as it provides a way to make inferences about a single variable while taking into account the uncertainty in other related variables. It also allows us to compare different models and select the one that best fits the data.

5. What are some advantages of using Bayesian computation for joint density and marginal posterior?

Some advantages of using Bayesian computation for joint density and marginal posterior include the ability to incorporate prior knowledge and beliefs, the flexibility to handle complex models and data, and the ability to update the results as new data becomes available. Additionally, Bayesian methods can provide a more intuitive and interpretable approach to statistical analysis compared to frequentist methods.