Beam of particles in a cylindrical pipe

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the E-field as a function of radial distance from the x-axis and the force on charged particles moving in a cylindrical beam. The speaker proposes using Gauss's Law and a suitable Gaussian surface to calculate the E-field, but there is a discrepancy in the calculation of the charge enclosed within the Gaussian cylinder. The expert summarizer explains that the volume charge density is equal to nq per unit volume, and multiplying this by the volume of the Gaussian cylinder gives the charge within the cylinder.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Charged particles, each holding charge q are moving in a cylinderical beam centred on the x-axis with n particles per unit volume. All the particles have the same horizontal velocity v.

A) By considering a suitable Gaussian surface, calculate the E-field as a function of r, the radial distance from the x-axis, and hence the force on the charges particle due to the electric field.

2. Homework Equations

Gauss Law,

The Attempt at a Solution

Let a be the radius of the pipe. Choose a Gaussian cylinder to be of radius r < a. Then the E field (from the enclosed charge) and the dA elements are parallel, so by Gauss,## E∫dA = Q_{enc}/ε = E(2 \pi r h),## h the height of the pipe and Gaussian cylinder.

I then said that the volume charge density is ##Q/\pi a^2 h##. So in the Gaussian cylinder, the charge enclosed is ##(\pi r^2 h) \cdot Q/\pi a^2 h = \left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^2 nq## which then gives me the E field and hence the force. My problem is, when I checked the solutions, they say the charge enclosed is ##Q = nq \pi r^2 h## and then they get an E field of ##nrq/2\epsilon##. To be honest, I think this is wrong. This expression for Q yields incorrect dimensions and then when they calculate the E field, they have ##Nm^3/C## which again is wrong. Both my expressions give the correct dimensions. Am I correct?

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi CAF123! :smile:
CAF123 said:
…with n particles per unit volume.

I then said that the volume charge density is ##Q/\pi a^2 h##. So in the Gaussian cylinder, the charge enclosed is ##(\pi r^2 h) \cdot Q/\pi a^2 h = \left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^2 nq##…

I don't understand …

q is charge, n is 1/volume

tiny-tim said:
Hi CAF123! :smile:I don't understand …

q is charge, n is 1/volume

Yes, there are n particles per unit volume so charge of nq per unit volume. So (volume) charge density is ##nq/(\pi a^2 h)##. Then I multipled this by the volume of the Gaussian cylinder to get the charge within the Gaussian cylinder.

CAF123 said:
Yes, there are n particles per unit volume so charge of nq per unit volume. So (volume) charge density is ##nq/(\pi a^2 h)##.

No, there's a charge of nq per m3.

Volume of cylinder = πa2h m3, so total charge in cylinder = πa2hnq,
and charge inside radius r = πr2hnq

I would suggest double-checking your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy. It is possible that the solutions you checked have an error, but it is also possible that your calculations may have missed a step or made a mistake. It is important to verify your work and consider all factors before coming to a conclusion.

I would also suggest considering the physical principles behind the problem. In this case, the electric field is a vector quantity that points in the direction of the force on a positive charge. Therefore, the magnitude of the electric field at a certain point is dependent on the amount of charge enclosed by a Gaussian surface around that point. Make sure to take into account the charge distribution and the geometry of the problem when calculating the enclosed charge.

Additionally, it may be helpful to discuss your solution with a colleague or your instructor to get a second opinion and further clarify any discrepancies. Collaboration and discussion can often lead to a better understanding of the problem and its solution.

Related to Beam of particles in a cylindrical pipe

1. What is a beam of particles in a cylindrical pipe?

A beam of particles in a cylindrical pipe refers to a stream of particles, such as electrons or protons, that are confined within a cylindrical pipe and accelerated to high speeds.

2. How is a beam of particles in a cylindrical pipe created?

A beam of particles in a cylindrical pipe is typically created using a particle accelerator, which uses electric fields and magnets to accelerate and focus the particles into a beam.

3. What is the purpose of a beam of particles in a cylindrical pipe?

The purpose of a beam of particles in a cylindrical pipe can vary depending on the specific application, but it is often used in scientific research to study the properties of particles, or in industrial settings for processes such as material analysis or medical imaging.

4. What are some potential risks associated with using a beam of particles in a cylindrical pipe?

One potential risk is radiation exposure, as the particles in the beam can emit radiation as they travel through the pipe. There is also a risk of equipment malfunction or accidents during operation of the particle accelerator.

5. How is the behavior of particles in a beam in a cylindrical pipe studied?

Scientists can study the behavior of particles in a beam in a cylindrical pipe by measuring various characteristics such as energy, speed, and direction, and analyzing the interactions between the particles and the materials they are targeted at.