Beam Splitter Inputs and Commutting Modes

In summary: If they do, then you should be able to use the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff relation to show that the operators A and C commute.In summary, the conversation is about trying to determine the commutation relation between two operators, A and C, in the context of quantum optics research. The operators are defined in terms of annihilation and creation operators for different input modes of a beam splitter. The main question is whether the input mode operators commute, and if so, whether A and C also commute. The conversation also mentions the use of the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff relation to find the commutation relation between A and C.
BeyondBelief96
Homework Statement
[Not really Homework, but for my research] Background: I am an undergrad doing research in quantum optics, and studying different output states from various inputs into a 50:50 Beam splitter

Question: Do the two annihilation and creation operators of different input ports commute or do they obey the well-known commutation relation ##[\hat{a}, \hat{a}^{\dagger}] = 1##

I guess I'm having trouble distinguishing modes and inputs of a beam splitter. Can two separate input ports be of the same mode, or are they different modes? How do the field operators for those two inputs commute with each other?

The reason I need to know this is because I am trying to decompose the Beam Splitter Operator

## \hat{B} = e^{\frac{i\pi}{4}(\hat{a}_0^{\dagger}\hat{a}_1 - \hat{a}_0\hat{a}_1^{\dagger})} ##

Using the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff Relation:

## e^{\hat{A} + \hat{C}} = e^{\hat{A}} e^{\hat{C}}e^{-\frac{1}{2}[\hat{A},\hat{C}]} ##

if and only if ## [\hat{A},\hat{C}] ## also commutes with ## \hat{A} ## and ## \hat{C} ##
Relevant Equations
## [\hat{a}, \hat{a}^{\dagger}] = 1 ##
My thinking so far is that if the two different input mode operators of a beam splitter commute, but I can't really give any good reasoning behind it.

I defined ##\hat{A} = \frac{i\pi}{4}\hat{a}_0^{\dagger}\hat{a}_1 ##

and

##\hat{C} = \frac{-i\pi}{4}\hat{a}_0\hat{a}_1^{\dagger} ##

and am trying to figure out the commutation relation between these two operators. I am stuck however because I when calculating this I am not sure if I can swap operators around or not of the different modes 0 and 1, where 0 and 1 are two different inputs of the beam splitter.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
BeyondBelief96 said:
Homework Statement:: [Not really Homework, but for my research] Background: I am an undergrad doing research in quantum optics, and studying different output states from various inputs into a 50:50 Beam splitter

Question: Do the two annihilation and creation operators of different input ports commute or do they obey the well-known commutation relation ##[\hat{a}, \hat{a}^{\dagger}] = 1##

I guess I'm having trouble distinguishing modes and inputs of a beam splitter. Can two separate input ports be of the same mode, or are they different modes? How do the field operators for those two inputs commute with each other?

The reason I need to know this is because I am trying to decompose the Beam Splitter Operator

## \hat{B} = e^{\frac{i\pi}{4}(\hat{a}_0^{\dagger}\hat{a}_1 - \hat{a}_0\hat{a}_1^{\dagger})} ##

Using the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff Relation:

## e^{\hat{A} + \hat{C}} = e^{\hat{A}} e^{\hat{C}}e^{-\frac{1}{2}[\hat{A},\hat{C}]} ##

if and only if ## [\hat{A},\hat{C}] ## also commutes with ## \hat{A} ## and ## \hat{C} ##
Relevant Equations:: ## [\hat{a}, \hat{a}^{\dagger}] = 1 ##

My thinking so far is that if the two different input mode operators of a beam splitter commute, but I can't really give any good reasoning behind it.

I defined ##\hat{A} = \frac{i\pi}{4}\hat{a}_0^{\dagger}\hat{a}_1 ##

and

##\hat{C} = \frac{-i\pi}{4}\hat{a}_0\hat{a}_1^{\dagger} ##

and am trying to figure out the commutation relation between these two operators. I am stuck however because I when calculating this I am not sure if I can swap operators around or not of the different modes 0 and 1, where 0 and 1 are two different inputs of the beam splitter.
You need first to find out what the commutation relations are between the operators with subscript 0 and the operators with subscripts 1. I would expect them to commute but you should check that first.

1. What is a beam splitter input?

A beam splitter input is a device used in optics to split a single beam of light into two or more beams. This is achieved by using a partially reflective surface to divide the incident beam into separate paths.

2. How does a beam splitter input work?

A beam splitter input works by using a partially reflective surface, such as a prism or a half-silvered mirror, to reflect a portion of the incident light while allowing the rest to pass through. This creates two or more beams of light with different intensities and directions.

3. What are the different types of beam splitter inputs?

The most common types of beam splitter inputs include cube beamsplitters, plate beamsplitters, and pellicle beamsplitters. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice depends on the specific application and requirements.

4. Can a beam splitter input be used for both reflection and transmission?

Yes, a beam splitter input is designed to split a beam of light into two or more beams, with one beam being reflected and the others transmitted. This can be used for various purposes, such as creating two identical beams for interferometry or splitting a beam for simultaneous measurements.

5. How does commutation mode affect beam splitter inputs?

Commutation mode refers to the way in which the beam splitter input switches between reflection and transmission. This can affect the intensity and direction of the output beams, as well as the stability of the system. Different commutation modes are used for different experimental setups, and the choice depends on the specific requirements and limitations.