Beer's law experiment - parameters

In summary, the conversation discusses the planning of building a device to test Beer's law and obtain the molar concentration of a solution. The key components needed are the sample path length, substance extinction coefficient, and the ratio between input and output light intensities. The extinction coefficient is unique for each substance and can be found by registering a curve of ε vs λ and choosing the optimal value. The choice of wavelength is important as it gives the best sensitivity and is less sensitive to errors in wavelength calibration. Building the device is not trivial and requires knowledge of lamps, receivers, and electronics.
fog37
Hello everyone,
I am planning to build a device to test Beer's law for a specific solution and obtain the molar concentration of the solution. Beer's law presumes that the input and output light intensities are related by an exponential law.

I need to know:
  1. The sample path length ##\ell##. Easy to know.
  2. The substance extinction coefficient ##\epsilon##. This is unique for each substance. How can I find it out? What if I had a mixture like water and algae?
  3. The ratio between the input and output light intensities: ##I_{f} / I_{0}##
The molar concentration ##c## is what I am trying to determine.

• What if the relation between the input and output intensities was not exponential?
  • Also, what about the "wavelength" of the light intensity? The ratio ##I_{f} / I_{0}## may be wavelength dependent while the molar concentration ##c## is the investigated solution is fixed. So which wavelength should we pick?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
fog37 said:
The substance extinction coefficient ϵϵ\epsilon. This is unique for each substance.

And depends on the wavelength. Typical approach is to register a curve of ϵ vs λ and choose the optimal value. Typically the one with the largest ϵ value, as this gives best sensitivity, but sometimes (when we deal with mixtures) we choose other wavelengths to avoid interference.

How can I find it out? What if I had a mixture like water and algae?

Algae is not a substance.

Can't help you with building the spectrophotometer, but it doesn't sound trivial. Light sources and light sensors are not necessarily linear so you either need to choose them very carefully or to compensate, which requires precise calibration.

Thank you Borek.

Why do we choose the wavelength that is the most absorbed, hence has the largest extinction coefficient ##\epsilon##? Because that gives the most contrast if we change the mixture's concentration ##c##?

As I wrote - it gives best sensitivity. That means both relatively large differences in the signal when changing concentrations and signal becomes detectable at low concentrations, making it possible to analyze more diluted samples.

Also because that is where the variation of ε with λ is lowest, so it is less sensitive to errors in wavelength calibration (or small changes in the position of the absorption peak as a function of concentration) than a wavelength on the slope of a peak. (NB You should always run a full spectrum of each sample, to check for consistency - or the accidental presence of contaminants - not just measure ε at a particular wavelength. And of course you don't measure ε, you measure absorbance. Do you know how to translate that into ε for your samples?)

Thank you mjc123. I see how the extinction factor ##\epsilon## can vary with wavelength. Why is the variation the smallest at the wavelength ##\lambda## with the largest absorption? because it is an absorption peak so in that neighborhood the slope, i.e. the rate of change, is more or less horizontal?

Yes, just a simple math.

The Beer-Lambert part of this is simple. Building a fixed frequency device: not simple (but possible, if you can determine the proper freq and can find a compatible lamp/receiver combination) - you'll have to learn a lot about lamps, receivers, temperature regulation, electronics, noise... Building device upon which one can 'run a spectrum': You'll need a lab assistant named Sancho Panza.

What is Beer's law experiment?

Beer's law experiment is a scientific method used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution. It is based on the absorption of light by the substance in the solution.

What are the parameters used in Beer's law experiment?

The parameters used in Beer's law experiment are concentration, path length, and absorbance. Concentration is the amount of the substance in the solution, path length is the distance the light passes through the solution, and absorbance is the amount of light absorbed by the substance in the solution.

How is Beer's law experiment used in real-life applications?

Beer's law experiment is used in various fields such as chemistry, pharmacology, and environmental science. It is used to determine the concentration of substances in solutions, which is important in quality control, drug development, and pollution monitoring.

What is the relationship between absorbance and concentration in Beer's law experiment?

According to Beer's law, the absorbance of a substance is directly proportional to its concentration in a solution. This means that as the concentration of the substance increases, the absorbance also increases.

What are the limitations of Beer's law experiment?

Beer's law experiment assumes that the solution is dilute and the light only passes through a single substance. It also assumes that the absorbance is linearly proportional to the concentration. However, these assumptions may not hold true in some cases, leading to inaccurate results. Additionally, the experiment may be affected by impurities in the solution and the light source used.