Beginner Circuitry Analysis - Assistance Appreciated =)

In summary, mesh analysis does not always establish a voltage difference between current sources, and adding current sources creates extra variables to solve. Once you have the currents and voltages for each loop and node, your circuit satisfies KCL and KVL.
slh3410
HrEiw3y.jpg
I'm given that i1=5.4A and i2=1.5A. I know that I need to apply mesh-current and then nodal-voltage analysis, but I have never dealt with two current sources. It seems like however I set it up, I am missing a piece.

My first attempt at a KVL equation using mesh analysis incorrectly established that the voltage differences V1 and V2 both had to be zero. Unless there is a voltage difference over a current source, I do not know where to start a correct solution.

Here was my first set of equations in full, with my currents numbered 1-4, left to right, in the clockwise direction.

KVL 1) (i1-i2)(40)=0
KVL 2) (i2-i1)(40)+(i2)(80)+(i2-i3)(80)=0
KVL 3) (i3-i2)(80)+(i3-i4)(120)=0
KVL 4) (i4-i3)(120)=0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
current source #1 is defined as i1
current source #2 is defined as i2

you redefined i2 as i4. in the future it would be better practice to call the current from left to right i1,i3,i4,i2...

now that being said you are making this very difficult to solve. by adding the currents i3 and i4, you are adding extra variables to solve.

If i were you, I would writ 2 KCls, then use the resulting equations to solve for v1 and v2

Likes 1 person
You won't need mesh and nodal, just use nodal

Likes 1 person
Am I on the right track now? I took the 'just use nodal-voltage analysis' advice.

pEFlLfE.jpg

For Va) [(Va-Vb)/8]+[Va/40]-[5.4]=0
For Vb) [(Vb-Va)/8]+[Vb/80]+[Vb/120]+[1.5]=0

Solving that, Va=96V and Vb=72V

Solving for V1 and V2 in the original problem, I again get V1=96V and V2=72V. This seems right to me. The final circuit satisfies KCL and KVL for all loops and nodes. Can somebody please verify for me?

Last edited:
Your method is correct!

I did not check the arithmetic.

Likes 1 person
Alright, I'll double check the arithmetic because that is certainly not your job :)

Thank you to everyone.

1. What is circuitry analysis?

Circuitry analysis is the process of examining and understanding the behavior of electrical circuits. It involves studying the components, connections, and flow of electricity within a circuit to determine its function and potential issues.

2. Why is circuitry analysis important for beginners?

Circuitry analysis is important for beginners because it helps them develop a fundamental understanding of how electrical circuits work. This knowledge is essential for troubleshooting and designing circuits, as well as for furthering their education in engineering or related fields.

3. What are the key components of a circuit that are analyzed?

The key components of a circuit that are analyzed include resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, transistors, and power sources. These components work together to regulate and control the flow of electricity within a circuit.

4. What are some common methods used in circuitry analysis?

There are several methods used in circuitry analysis, including ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, nodal analysis, and mesh analysis. These methods involve using mathematical equations and principles to analyze and solve circuit problems.

5. How can I improve my circuitry analysis skills?

The best way to improve circuitry analysis skills is through practice and hands-on experience. It is also helpful to study and understand basic electrical principles and to familiarize oneself with different types of circuits and their behaviors. Additionally, seeking guidance from experienced professionals or taking courses in circuitry analysis can also aid in skill improvement.