Beginning Trignometric Antiderivative

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the antiderivative of f(\theta) \ = \ \frac{1 + \cos^2{\theta}}{\cos^2{\theta}}, with the final answer being F(\theta) \ = \ \tan{\theta} \ + \ \theta \ + \ C. The importance of including the constant C in the antiderivative is also emphasized.
calisoca

Homework Statement

Okay, I think I'm finally getting the hang of these antiderivatives. However, I'm still stumbling some on trigonometric functions.

Find the antiderivative of [tex]f(\theta) \ = \ \frac{1 + \cos^2{\theta}}{\cos^2{\theta}} [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] f(\theta) \ = \ \frac{1 + \cos^2{\theta}}{\cos^2{\theta}} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1.) [tex] f(\theta) \ = \ \frac{1 + \cos^2{\theta}}{\cos^2{\theta}} [/tex]

2.) [tex] f(\theta) \ = \ \frac{1}{\cos^2{\theta}}} \ + \ \frac{cos^2{\theta}}{cos^2{\theta}} [/tex]

3.) [tex] f(\theta) \ = \ \frac{1}{\cos^2{\theta}}} \ + \ 1 [/tex]

4.) Trigonometric Identity: [tex] \frac{1}{\cos^2{\theta}}} \ = \ \csc^2{\theta} [/tex]

5.) [tex] f(\theta) \ = \ \csc^2{\theta}\ + \ 1 [/tex]

6.) [tex] F(\theta) \ = \ -\cot{\theta} \ + \ \theta [/tex]Where have I gone wrong? I know the answer isn't correct, but I'm not sure what I have done wrong here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1/cos(t)=sec(t). Not csc(t). And you probably don't want to write the antiderivative of F as F'. Call it G or something.

Ah, crap! I don't know where I got [tex] \frac{1}{\cos^2{\theta}}} \ = \ \csc^2{\theta} [/tex] from. That's obviously not right. Thank you for pointing out my stupid mistake.

So...

1.) [tex] f(\theta) \ = \ \frac{1 + \cos^2{\theta}}{\cos^2{\theta}} [/tex]

2.) [tex] f(\theta) \ = \ \frac{1}{\cos^2{\theta}}} \ + \ \frac{cos^2{\theta}}{cos^2{\theta}} [/tex]

3.) [tex] f(\theta) \ = \ \frac{1}{\cos^2{\theta}}} \ + \ 1 [/tex]

4.) Trigonometric Identity: [tex] \frac{1}{\cos^2{\theta}}} \ = \ \sec^2{\theta} [/tex]

5.) [tex] f(\theta) \ = \ \sec^2{\theta}\ + \ 1 [/tex]

6.) [tex] F(\theta) \ = \ \tan{\theta} \ + \ \theta [/tex]

Now, would it be [tex] F(\theta) \ = \ \tan{\theta} \ + \ \theta \ + \ C [/tex] or just [tex] F(\theta) \ = \ \tan{\theta} \ + \ \theta [/tex] ?

You need to include the constant C. While it may seem trivial or non-important, you can actually contrive anti-derivatives, which, when simplified yield 1 = 0 (or some other non-sensical equality) if you neglect the constant.

Last edited:
Great. Thanks to everyone for their help!

Related to Beginning Trignometric Antiderivative

1. What is a trigonometric antiderivative?

A trigonometric antiderivative is a function that, when differentiated, results in a given trigonometric function. It is the inverse operation of taking the derivative of a function.

2. How do you find the antiderivative of a trigonometric function?

To find the antiderivative of a trigonometric function, you can use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. Each method involves following a specific set of rules and steps to solve the integral.

3. What are some common trigonometric antiderivatives?

Some common trigonometric antiderivatives include sine, cosine, tangent, and cotangent functions. Other common antiderivatives include secant, cosecant, and their inverse functions.

4. Can you give an example of finding a trigonometric antiderivative?

Yes, for example, the antiderivative of the function f(x) = sin(x) is F(x) = -cos(x) + C, where C is a constant. This can be found using the substitution technique, where u = x and du = dx.

5. Why is knowing trigonometric antiderivatives important?

Knowing trigonometric antiderivatives is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of problems in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and helps us understand the relationship between a function and its derivative.