Best way to ask professor for research position

In summary, a student who is considering volunteering their time to help a professor with their research should spend an hour per professor learning what they do.
JonnyG
I am currently in the honors mathematics program at my school. I wanted to get a research position this summer with a professor. I have been reading some of the previous threads about people asking for the same type of advice that I am asking for. I just feel that my situation may be a bit different. I'm only taking second year and third year courses right now, so with any professor that I ask to let me help them with research, I won't know much about their research, nor would I have the background to have a fruitful conversation with them about their research. And it's not like I am going to be volunteering in a lab, where I can help out with other things, so I fail to see how I could really contribute.

Any advice? I also imagine that the professor would ask me why they should pick me for this position (seeing as there are probably other students who will be asking them as well). I don't really have a great answer for that. I mean, I love mathematics. I feel compelled to do it. I really can't walk away from it, so I really want to do research. I work really hard and am reasonably talented...Would saying those things suffice for a good answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just send an email to the people you're interested in and tell them you're interested in their research and want to contribute. They'll ask you for an appointment.

Don't overthink this.

Likes JonnyG
I agree with Micromass, don't overthink this. But don't underthink it either Not knowing what a given professor is up to is not a permanent condition. Mot have web pages describing what they are doing, which is a good place to start Spend an hour per professor learning what they do.

Likes JonnyG

1. How do I approach a professor about a research position?

The best way to approach a professor about a research position is to send them an email expressing your interest in their research and explaining why you would like to work with them. Be sure to include your relevant skills and experience, and ask if they have any available positions or if they would be open to discussing potential opportunities.

2. When is the best time to ask a professor for a research position?

The best time to ask a professor for a research position is at the beginning of a semester or academic year. This will give the professor time to consider your request and potentially make arrangements for you to join their research team.

3. What information should I include in my request for a research position?

In your request for a research position, be sure to include your academic background, relevant skills and experience, and your interest in the professor's research specifically. You may also want to include your availability and any potential funding or grants you have secured.

4. How do I increase my chances of securing a research position with a professor?

To increase your chances of securing a research position with a professor, it is important to do your research and find a professor whose research aligns with your interests and skills. Additionally, make sure to approach the professor professionally and be prepared to discuss your qualifications and why you would be a valuable asset to their research team.

5. Is it appropriate to follow up with a professor after requesting a research position?

It is appropriate to follow up with a professor after requesting a research position, but be sure to give them a reasonable amount of time to respond before following up. If you do not hear back after a few weeks, you can send a polite email inquiring about the status of your request. However, do not follow up too frequently or become pushy as this may harm your chances of being considered for the position.