Better Supervisor or preferred field?

In summary, the individual is trying to decide between a preferred field of study, theoretical quantum computing, and a better supervisor with a weaker background in the field. They are also considering doing theory with a highly respected theoretician in the field of supersymmetry. The suggestion is to go with the highly respected theoretician, as it will provide a better learning experience and could potentially lead to greater success in the field. The alternative option may not offer the desired level of learning and could lead to frustration.
Emmanouil
I am attempting to choose a field of study for my masters course following my undergraduate course however due to the circumstances of the researchers I have to choose between a better supervisor or a preferred field of study; my ideal field would be theoretical quantum computing, however the head researcher at my university in this field is not particularly strong in the field (I have heard from previous students that the program was not very strong). On the other hand I can choose to do theory with a highly respected theoretician in his field (supersymmetry) and get a sort of boot camp experience as well as a (hopefully) strong thesis so that I may apply to a stronger college in the field. Does the second option make any sense from previous experiences? Thanks in advance!

Likes jedishrfu
Physics news on Phys.org
An interesting dilemma, I think you should consider the theoretical quantum computing as a future course of study and go with the highly respected theoretician.

Why? because you will clearly learn a lot from working under him/her and it will place you on a path to greater success. You might even learn some math/physics techniques that can apply to the QC field later on.

In contrast, if the QC researcher is as weak as you say then you will be learning it more on your own and while being interesting you might not get what you want out of it and ultimately will get frustrated.

Related to Better Supervisor or preferred field?

1. What qualities make a better supervisor in the scientific field?

A better supervisor in the scientific field should possess good communication skills, be knowledgeable in their field of expertise, have strong leadership abilities, be organized and able to prioritize tasks efficiently, and have a positive attitude towards their team.

2. How can I improve my skills as a supervisor in the scientific field?

To improve your skills as a supervisor in the scientific field, you can attend workshops or training programs, seek mentorship from experienced supervisors, actively listen to feedback from your team, and continuously educate yourself on the latest advancements in your field.

3. Is it important to have a preferred field as a supervisor in the scientific field?

Having a preferred field as a supervisor in the scientific field is not necessary, but it can be beneficial. It allows you to have a deeper understanding of the work and challenges your team faces, and you can provide more relevant guidance and support.

4. How do I handle conflicts within my team as a scientific supervisor?

As a scientific supervisor, it is important to address conflicts within your team promptly and professionally. This can involve actively listening to both sides, finding a compromise, and setting clear expectations for future interactions. It is also essential to create a positive and respectful work environment to prevent conflicts from escalating.

5. How do I balance being a supervisor and conducting my own research in the scientific field?

Balancing supervisory duties and conducting research in the scientific field can be challenging. It is important to prioritize your tasks and delegate responsibilities to your team when possible. Effective time management and communication with your team can also help ensure that both your supervisory and research duties are fulfilled efficiently.