Bilinears in adjoint representation

In summary, bilinears in adjoint representation are mathematical objects that are bilinear maps acting on elements of a Lie algebra. They have various applications in physics, particularly in gauge theories and supersymmetric theories. One example is the commutator of two elements in a Lie algebra. Bilinears in adjoint representation satisfy algebraic properties and are closely related to other mathematical objects such as the adjoint representation, Lie bracket, and Lie algebra cohomology.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[/B]
1)Show that the kinetic term for a Dirac spinor is invariant under the symmetry group ##U(N) \otimes U(N)##

2) Show that if ##T_a## are the generators of ##O(N)##, the bilinears ##\phi^T T^a \phi## transform according to the adjoint representation.

Homework Equations

[/B]
For 1), ##\mathcal L_{kin} = i \bar \phi \gamma^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} \phi##

The Attempt at a Solution

In 1), I considered the case of a Weyl spinor first. This has a kinetic term ##i \bar \phi_R \gamma^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} \phi_R## and if ##\phi_R \rightarrow U \phi_R## then ##i \bar \phi_R \gamma^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} \phi_R \rightarrow i\phi^{\dagger}_R U^{\dagger} \gamma_0 \gamma^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} U \phi ## Because ##U## and the gamma matrices act on different spaces, can I just shift the ##U## to the ##U^{\dagger}## and then using ##UU^{\dagger}=1## get the result? The ##U(N) \otimes U(N)## for the Dirac spinors comes about from decomposing a Dirac spinor into its left and right handed components each of which transforms under a 'left handed fundamental representation' or 'right handed fundamental representation' so could write the symmetry group as ##U_L(N) \otimes U_R(N)## (I think).

In 2), how would the generators of O(N) transform?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

1) Yes, you are correct in shifting the U to the U^{\dagger} and using the fact that they are unitary, you can show that the kinetic term is invariant under the symmetry group U(N) \otimes U(N). This is because the gamma matrices act on different spaces, as you mentioned, and therefore commute with the unitary transformations on each space.

2) The generators of O(N) transform under the adjoint representation, which means that they transform as matrices under the group. In this case, the bilinears \phi^T T^a \phi will transform according to the adjoint representation because the generators T^a are transforming as matrices under the group. This can be seen by writing out the transformation of the bilinear explicitly and using the transformation properties of the generators.

1. What are bilinears in adjoint representation?

Bilinears in adjoint representation refer to a type of mathematical object that arises in the study of Lie algebras. These objects are bilinear maps that act on two elements of a Lie algebra and produce another element of the same Lie algebra.

2. How are bilinears in adjoint representation used in physics?

Bilinears in adjoint representation have various applications in physics, particularly in the study of gauge theories. They are used to construct certain types of gauge-invariant operators, and also play a role in the analysis of supersymmetric theories.

3. Can you give an example of a bilinear in adjoint representation?

One example of a bilinear in adjoint representation is the commutator of two elements in a Lie algebra, which is defined as [A,B] = AB - BA. This bilinear operation is often used to define the structure constants of a Lie algebra.

4. What properties do bilinears in adjoint representation have?

Bilinears in adjoint representation satisfy certain algebraic properties, such as being bilinear, anti-symmetric, and satisfying the Jacobi identity. These properties are important in the study of Lie algebras and their representations.

5. How are bilinears in adjoint representation related to other mathematical objects?

Bilinears in adjoint representation are closely related to other mathematical objects such as the adjoint representation itself, the Lie bracket, and Lie algebra cohomology. These objects are all important in the study of Lie algebras and their representations.