Binomial Coefficient - Factorials Part III

In summary, binomial coefficients are mathematical terms used to represent the number of ways to choose objects from a larger set. They are closely related to factorials and are used to calculate probabilities in scenarios with two possible outcomes. They cannot be negative and have various applications in real life situations, such as genetics, statistics, and computer science.
reenmachine
Gold Member

Homework Statement

##| \ X \in \mathcal P(\{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9\}) : |X|= 4 \ | = \ \ ?##

Homework Equations

There's no wording in the exercise , just what I wrote above.If I understood correctly , they asked me to find the cardinality of the set of all subsets of {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9} that contains 4 elements.

So ##\binom{10}{4} = \frac{10!}{4!6!} = \frac{10 \cdot 9 \cdot 8 \cdot 7 \cdot 6!}{4!6!} = \frac{10 \cdot 9 \cdot 8 \cdot 7}{4!} = \frac{5040}{24} = 210##

So there's 210 elements in ##\{X \in \mathcal P(\{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9\}) : |X|= 4\}##

thought on this?

thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks correct to me.

LCKurtz said:
Looks correct to me.

thank you!

1. What is a binomial coefficient?

A binomial coefficient is a mathematical term that represents the number of ways to choose a set of objects from a larger set, without considering the order of the objects. It is commonly denoted as "n choose k" or ${n \choose k}$, where n and k are integers.

2. What is the relationship between binomial coefficients and factorials?

Binomial coefficients are closely related to factorials. They can be calculated using the formula ${n \choose k} = \frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}$, where n! represents the factorial of n. This formula is used to calculate the number of combinations or ways to choose k objects from a set of n objects.

3. How are binomial coefficients used in probability?

Binomial coefficients are used to calculate probabilities in scenarios with two possible outcomes, such as flipping a coin or choosing between two options. They are used in the binomial distribution formula, which calculates the probability of a specific number of successes in a given number of trials.

4. Can binomial coefficients be negative?

No, binomial coefficients cannot be negative. They represent the number of ways to choose objects, which is always a positive integer. If the result of the calculation is negative, it means that you have made a mistake in the calculation.

5. How can binomial coefficients be applied in real life situations?

Binomial coefficients have various applications in real life situations, such as in genetics, statistics, and computer science. They can be used to calculate the number of possible combinations in a set, the probability of a specific outcome, or the number of ways to arrange objects in a specific order. For example, binomial coefficients can be used to calculate the probability of flipping a coin and getting heads 4 times out of 10 flips.