Binomial distribution of coin tosses

In summary, the conversation discusses how to approximate the probability of getting at least 60 heads out of 100 tosses of a fair coin. The suggested method is to use a normal distribution approximation, and the conversation also mentions using the binomial distribution formula and the standard normal table. The final answer is estimated to be approximately 0.0228.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

1. A fair coin is tossed 100 times.
(a) Find an approximate probability of getting at least 60 heads.

(b) Find an approximate probability of getting exactly 60 heads.

The Attempt at a Solution

part b) would be b(60;100,.5)

part a) we would need the table for the cumulative distribution, but this is a practice question for my midterm where I won't have access to the tables. Is there a way I can find this with the formula on the test?

Physics news on Phys.org
why don't you try approximating with a normal distribution

Will you have access to the normal (z) table? You could approximate this as a normal distribution.
Otherwise, I would look at ways to simplify. Since p=1-p=.5, your terms if you were going to write out the sum of p(60)+p(61) + ... +p(100) would all be 100 C k (.5)^100.
You will see that those terms shrink pretty quickly, so depending on how accurate you need your answer, you might be able to only use some of the largest terms--maybe the first 10 or so.
Last option, you could assume that cumulative prob of 50 is .5 +p(50)/2. Then find p(51 - 59). The remaining part is p(at least 60).

toothpaste666 said:

Homework Statement

1. A fair coin is tossed 100 times.
(a) Find an approximate probability of getting at least 60 heads.

(b) Find an approximate probability of getting exactly 60 heads.

The Attempt at a Solution

part b) would be b(60;100,.5)

part a) we would need the table for the cumulative distribution, but this is a practice question for my midterm where I won't have access to the tables. Is there a way I can find this with the formula on the test?

Perhaps the tester is looking for a convenient approximation in symbolic form, without necessarily needing a numerical answer. A normal approximation would be the way to go, and specifying correct "z-values" (maybe without being able to actually compute them) would get nearly full marks. Only you and your instructor can know for sure.

I will have access to the normal distribution table. For the normal approximation to the binomial distribution

Z = (X - np)/sqrt(np(1-p)) = (60 - 50)/sqrt(25) = 10/5 = 2

we want
1 - F(2)
looking at the standard normal table for
z = 2.00 we have F(z) = .9772
so the answer is
1 - .9772 = .0228

1. What is a binomial distribution?

A binomial distribution is a probability distribution that describes the number of successes in a fixed number of independent trials. It is often used to model the outcomes of coin tosses.

2. How does a binomial distribution apply to coin tosses?

In the context of coin tosses, the binomial distribution can be used to calculate the probability of getting a certain number of heads or tails in a fixed number of tosses. For example, if you toss a coin 10 times, the binomial distribution can tell you the probability of getting exactly 5 heads.

3. What are the parameters of a binomial distribution?

The parameters of a binomial distribution are n and p, where n is the number of trials and p is the probability of success in each trial. In the case of coin tosses, n would be the number of tosses and p would be 0.5 since there is an equal chance of getting heads or tails.

4. How is a binomial distribution different from a normal distribution?

A binomial distribution is a discrete distribution, meaning it only takes on whole number values, while a normal distribution is a continuous distribution. Additionally, the shape of a binomial distribution is skewed, while a normal distribution is bell-shaped.

5. What is the formula for calculating the probability of a certain number of successes in a binomial distribution?

The formula is: P(X = k) = (n choose k) * p^k * (1-p)^(n-k), where n is the number of trials, k is the number of successes, and p is the probability of success in each trial. This formula is also known as the binomial probability formula.