Biomedical Career Path for BS vs BSE

In summary: With a graduate degree, you'll have a much better chance of finding a career in biomedical engineering or another related field.
.Scott
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
My son is asking me what the differences are in career opportunities for a BS in Biomedical Science vs, BSE in Biomedical Engineering.

Any help will be appreciated. I have no idea.
(I'm a Software Engineer)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's difficult to make a call based on the title of a degree. These could mean very different things at different schools. So at the risk of stating the obvious, you really have to look through the details of each program to get an idea of what skills and knowledge base the each program is set up to develop.

The biomedical engineers that I know essentially went though an electrical stream and then specialized on the biomedical side of things either as a senior undergrad or once they got to graduate school. So *they* would have been qualified for entry level electrical engineering positions, as well as BME positions when they got into the workforce. I'm not sure that's true of all BME programs though. I think some of them can be a little "fluffy" on the engineering side and leave graduates with fewer options once they graduate. So tell your son to have a look at where the graduates are ending up.

I think that biomedical science degrees tend to be a kind of pre-med, biochemistry mish-mash of stuff. For the students that do really well in them they're great. Those students go on to medical school or professional graduate programs in genetics, toxicology, clinical biochemistry, or rehab medicine such as physiotherapy, speech pathology, occupational therapy, etc. For the rest though, I think a lot of grads end up at the end of their fourth year trying to figure out what they can do for a career with a skill set that doesn't have a lot of demand outside of the healthcare avenues that require more training.

Likes osilmag and .Scott
After getting a BSE in this field, I was able to acquire contract research/tech level jobs in the region I lived. In order to be very successful in this field, you have to either get a graduate degree or move to the coasts. It is certainly true that they can be a little soft on the engineering side with too much emphasis on biology. Most BMEs go through with an electrical or biomechanical lean.

Definitely plan on going to graduate school after obtaining a biomedical sciences degree.

Last edited:
Likes .Scott and berkeman

What is the difference between a BS and a BSE in the biomedical field?

A BS, or Bachelor of Science, degree in the biomedical field typically focuses on the theoretical and scientific principles of biomedicine. On the other hand, a BSE, or Bachelor of Science in Engineering, degree focuses on the practical application of engineering principles in the biomedical field.

Which degree is more beneficial for a career in biomedicine?

Both a BS and BSE degree can lead to successful careers in biomedicine. It ultimately depends on your career goals and interests. A BS degree may be more suitable for those interested in research and development, while a BSE degree may be better for those interested in designing and developing medical devices and technologies.

Are there any specific job opportunities for BS or BSE graduates in the biomedical field?

Yes, there are various job opportunities for both BS and BSE graduates in the biomedical field. These can include roles such as biomedical engineer, medical device designer, pharmaceutical sales representative, and research scientist. However, the specific job opportunities may vary depending on the company and industry.

Do BS and BSE graduates have different salary expectations in the biomedical field?

Generally, the salary expectations for BS and BSE graduates in the biomedical field are similar. However, BSE graduates may have slightly higher earning potential due to their engineering background and ability to design and develop medical devices and technologies.

Can I pursue a graduate degree in biomedicine with a BS or BSE degree?

Yes, both BS and BSE graduates can pursue graduate degrees in biomedicine. However, the specific programs and requirements may differ for each degree. It is important to research and consider your career goals before deciding on which degree to pursue.