BJT with non constant beta-value burned out?

In summary, the conversation is about a proposed experiment to measure the beta-value of an NPN BJT transistor. The circuit used for the experiment consisted of a 9V battery connected to the Base and Collector of the transistor with resistors in series (R_B and R_C). The Emitter was connected to the negative terminal of the battery. The goal was to obtain a constant ratio of collector current (I_C) to base current (I_B) by changing the value of R_B. However, the obtained values for beta varied and were not constant. The conversation discusses the possible reasons for this variation and concludes that the range of variation is not too large. The last three measurements were disregarded as the transistor was saturated.
nareto
Hello, I have taken some measurments following a proposed experiment in a begginners electronics book to calculate the beta-value of an NPN BJT transistor. The circuit was as follows:

9V | C_|
- B
| E
|_______ _|

EDIT: of course it's not clear, at least in my browser. Basically it's a 9V battery with the + that has two branches, one that goes to the Base of the transistor and one to the Collector, each branch has in series a resistor, respectively R_B and R_C. The minus is attached to the Emitter.

hope it's clear... E B and C are the tranistors emitter, base and collector, R_C a 1kOhm resistor and R_B was a resistor whose value changed during the experiment. Also, not shown, there were two amperometers in series respectively with R_B and R_C (to measure I_B, base current, and I_C, collector current) and a voltmeter between C and E (to measure the collector-emitter voltage).

So, what *should* have happened is that, starting with R_B=1MOhm and decreasing this value (I didn't use a potentiometer but different resistors), I should have obtained increasing values of I_B and of I_C in such a way that there ratio, beta=I_C/I_B would be more or less constant.

However, I got the values that can be seen in the image:
http://i.imgur.com/y9EZZ.jpg

With R_B=1MOhm beta is 50, and then it constantly decreases till it reaches 1.2! This is strange...

So, given that I desoldered the transistor out of a previous made PCB, could I have damaged it by desoldering? Is this non-constant-beta-value a typical symptom of having burned out the transistor?

thanks for any help,
renato

Engineering news on Phys.org
In the last 3 measurements the transistor is saturated. You can't really make a sensible measurement of beta in a saturated transistor so you definitely should ignore those last three lines. (You *really* need to understand that the collector current is limited by the collector resistor and not the base current in this case).

As for the other measurements they look ok. It’s normal to have some variation in beta with both Ic and Vce. Normally I would have expected beta to increase somewhat with increasing Ic (at least up to several mA) and to decrease somewhat with decreasing Vce. Overall though, the range of variation that you got in beta (25 to 50) is not too large.

In the last 3 measurements the transistor is saturated. You can't really make a sensible measurement of beta in a saturated transistor so you definitely should ignore those last three lines. (You *really* need to understand that the collector current is limited by the collector resistor and not the base current in this case).

thanks for pointing that out! yeah I think I got it

Normally I would have expected beta to increase somewhat with increasing Ic (at least up to several mA) and to decrease somewhat with decreasing Vce. Overall though, the range of variation that you got in beta (25 to 50) is not too large.

Oh, ok. I thought it was large because on the book there was a sample table and beta value for them was allways 100, only one or two times 98; so I expected that kind of variancy (though they warned that they had used high precision equipment and mileage could vary)

1. What is a BJT with non constant beta-value burned out?

A BJT (Bipolar Junction Transistor) with non constant beta-value burned out refers to a transistor in which the beta-value (current gain) is not constant due to damage or wear and tear. This can result in unreliable or inconsistent performance.

2. How does a BJT with non constant beta-value burned out affect circuit performance?

When a BJT has a non constant beta-value, it can cause the circuit to behave unpredictably. This can result in inaccurate or incorrect amplification of the signal, leading to errors in the overall circuit performance.

3. What are the common causes of a BJT with non constant beta-value burned out?

The most common causes of a BJT with non constant beta-value burned out include exposure to high temperatures, excessive voltage or current, and physical damage to the transistor. Aging or prolonged use can also contribute to the degradation of the transistor's beta-value.

4. Can a BJT with non constant beta-value burned out be fixed?

In most cases, a BJT with non constant beta-value burned out cannot be fixed and must be replaced. However, if the cause of the non-constant beta-value is identified and addressed, the transistor may return to its normal functionality. It is important to regularly test and monitor BJTs to prevent them from burning out.

5. How can the effects of a BJT with non constant beta-value burned out be mitigated?

To mitigate the effects of a BJT with non constant beta-value burned out, it is important to use high-quality transistors, properly design and test circuits, and regularly monitor and maintain the transistors. Additionally, using multiple BJTs in parallel can help distribute the load and prevent one transistor from burning out and affecting the overall circuit performance.