Blackbody radiation equations

In summary, to show the total energy of radiation in a volume V at temperature T, one must integrate the equation for dU/df with the substitution x = hf / K_b T and using the hint provided. This results in the equation [8pi^5V K_b T] / [15c^3], with the correction that the pi has an exponent of 5 and the k_B has an exponent of 4. However, the final answer appears to be missing the constant h.
Abdul.119

Homework Statement

Show that the total energy of the radiation in a volume V at temperature T is
9t24g4.png

Hint:
30rl8k6.png

Homework Equations

2mgt5e8.png

21jbxb7.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The hint doesn't make sense to me, and those are the equation that I found to be perhaps relevant. Do I integrate the second equation? I'm not sure how to start this problem.
I think the hint is to help in integrating the second "relevant" equation, so integrating f^3 / exp(hf/K_BT)-1 from zero to infinity should equal pi^4/15?

Last edited:
Likes Prajnadatta
Physics news on Phys.org
Abdul.119 said:

Homework Statement

Show that the total energy of the radiation in a volume V at temperature T is
9t24g4.png

Hint:
30rl8k6.png

Homework Equations

2mgt5e8.png

21jbxb7.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The hint doesn't make sense to me, and those are the equation that I found to be perhaps relevant. Do I integrate the second equation? I'm not sure how to start this problem.
I think the hint is to help in integrating the second "relevant" equation, so integrating f^3 / exp(hf/K_BT)-1 from zero to infinity should equal pi^4/15?
Yes, you need to integrate the equation for dU/df.

Make the substitution x = hf / KbT and use the Hint.

SteamKing said:
Yes, you need to integrate the equation for dU/df.

Make the substitution x = hf / KbT and use the Hint.

Then
x = hf / K_b T
dx = h / K_b T * df
df = K_b T / h * du
performing the integral then gives pi^4/15 * (K_b T / h)
then together with the rest of the constants it gives [8pi^5V K_b T] / [15c^3] , which doesn't look look like the final answer, did I do something wrong or are there additional steps?

Edit: Oops sorry there is a mistake in the first equation given in the problem. The pi has an exponent of 5 not 2, and the k_B has an exponent of 4 not 2.

But still I can't seem to obtain that equation, all I get is [8pi^5V K_b T] / [15c^3], the h is missing

Last edited:

What is blackbody radiation?

Blackbody radiation is the electromagnetic radiation emitted by an object that is in thermal equilibrium with its surroundings. This means that the object is absorbing and emitting the same amount of radiation, resulting in a constant temperature.

What are the equations for blackbody radiation?

The two main equations for blackbody radiation are the Planck's law and the Stefan-Boltzmann law. Planck's law describes the spectral radiance of a blackbody at a given temperature, while the Stefan-Boltzmann law calculates the total energy emitted by a blackbody based on its temperature.

Are blackbody radiation equations only applicable to blackbodies?

No, blackbody radiation equations can also be used to describe the behavior of objects that are not perfect blackbodies. These equations are useful for understanding the radiation emitted by various objects, such as stars and light bulbs.

What is Wien's displacement law?

Wien's displacement law is an equation that describes the relationship between the wavelength of the peak intensity of blackbody radiation and its temperature. It states that the peak wavelength is inversely proportional to the temperature, meaning that as temperature increases, the peak wavelength decreases.

How are blackbody radiation equations used in scientific research?

Blackbody radiation equations are used in various fields of science, such as astrophysics, thermodynamics, and materials science. They can be used to calculate the temperature of objects based on their emitted radiation, and to study the properties of different materials and substances.