Blunt force vs cutting force in penetration

In summary, based on the author's experience, the type of tool, the material being cut, and the angle of the cut, the speed of cutting, chatter, and finish can vary significantly.
h1a8
TL;DR Summary
Are they fundamentally the same or different?
My thought is that they both stem from PRESSURE. Sharp objects have more pressure than blunt objects given the same force and therefore can penetrate softer material better.

Some of my associates are suggesting that cutting by stabbing is entirely different than blunt force. But the definition of blunt force encompasses being stabbed or sliced. There is no minimum area or minimum force needed. Blunt is not well defined.

Am I right or is there another difference I'm not seeing?

Thinking of a bulletproof vest able to stop a bullet but not a knife stab. I did the math and it seems that the knife has multiple times more pressure than the bullet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes sophiecentaur
As I understand your question, you are asking if the only essential difference between a sharp object and a blunt object is the concentration of stress, and shouldn’t every thing else be fundamentally the same.

I get where you are coming from, and, yes, the material properties don’t really change. However there are important differences. Most important is the direction of the local stress. As the sharp object begins to penetrate the sides act as a wedge pushing outward more than downward. This places the material right at the tip of the wedge under tension. Of course, the tip itself is locally compressing, but superposition applies. The tension being caused by the wedge allows the tip to slice through the material with much less resistance.

Likes davenn and jbriggs444
jbriggs444 said:
Possibly you could refine your thinking in terms of Stresses and Strains instead.
That's the way to go. Stress has the same units as pressure.
Furthermore, materials have a yield point, when the applied stress causes an extreme displacement. Materials have non-linear characteristics (nothing is linear in the end). A sharp point will produce extreme stress (N/m2) and the material can yield, where it would only stretch with a 'rounded' point with the same force.
h1a8 said:
Thinking of a bulletproof vest able to stop a bullet but not a knife stab.
Armour is designed against particular weapons . I would imagine that a stab vest would not be so good against bullets. Then there's the recent invention of bullet proof windows which resist incoming bullets but which allow bullets from within the room to get out. I have to apologise for the exuberance for guns in that video but it is certainly a smart bit of hybrid materials engineering.

Likes Tom.G
h1a8 said:
Thinking of a bulletproof vest able to stop a bullet but not a knife stab. I did the math and it seems that the knife has multiple times more pressure than the bullet.
It is more involved than you might think. A good survey can be found in a book by: Tony Atkins. “The Science and Engineering of Cutting: The Patterns and Processes of Separating, Scratching and Puncturing Biomaterials, Metals and Non-metals”. 2009 – 2013.
It discusses slicing, penetration and blunt impact, Kevlar and chain mail, etc while avoiding unnecessary math. Chapter 9. Sharpness or Bluntness: Absolute or Relative?
Go to a library, or use https://www.bookfinder.com ; or find the .pdf copy.

Likes sophiecentaur
Baluncore said:
It is more involved than you might think.
I have recently been using cutting tools on a lathe and the angles and materials involved all make a real difference to the speed of cutting, chatter and final finish etc.. I "might think" it is verrrry involved. :wink:

1. What is the difference between blunt force and cutting force in penetration?

Blunt force and cutting force are two different types of forces that can be applied to an object in order to penetrate it. Blunt force involves a strong, concentrated impact on a small surface area, while cutting force involves a sharp edge or point being pushed or pulled through an object.

2. Which type of force is more effective in penetrating materials?

The effectiveness of blunt force versus cutting force in penetration depends on the type of material being penetrated. For softer materials like flesh or wood, blunt force may be more effective, while for harder materials like metal or stone, cutting force may be more effective.

3. Can blunt force and cutting force be used together for penetration?

Yes, it is possible to use both blunt force and cutting force together in order to penetrate an object. For example, a hammer can be used to apply blunt force, while a chisel can be used to apply cutting force.

4. What are some examples of situations where blunt force is used for penetration?

Blunt force is commonly used in situations where a large amount of force is needed to break through an object, such as breaking down a door or breaking through a wall. It is also used in self-defense techniques, such as using a palm strike to the nose or a punch to the stomach.

5. How does the shape of an object affect the effectiveness of blunt force and cutting force in penetration?

The shape of an object can greatly affect the effectiveness of both blunt force and cutting force in penetration. For example, a sharp, pointed object will be more effective in cutting through an object, while a flat, heavy object will be more effective in applying blunt force. Additionally, the angle at which the force is applied can also impact its effectiveness.