Bomb blast in Oslo; PM's office building targeted.

In summary, a bomb blast occurred in Oslo, targeting the office building of the Prime Minister. The explosion caused significant damage to the building and surrounding areas, injuring multiple people. The attack is believed to be a deliberate act of terrorism, and the authorities are investigating the incident. The Prime Minister was not present at the time of the blast, and no group has claimed responsibility for the attack yet. Security measures have been heightened in the area, and an investigation is ongoing to determine the motive behind the attack.
Majd100 said:
Very sad news, I am shock for this horrible attack.

In Middle East the media claim the terrorist "police" is Norwegian Christian from the extreme right wing.

I wish that we can wait until the official statement of the Norwegian government before some people -as usual- using these attacks for propaganda and spreading hate!

I do believe that Muslims should annihilate all the terrorists and the religious men who supporting them, even if they did not do this attack.

The presumptions were not unfounded, esspecially since some Islamic extremists took responsibility early on in the day.

It's a terrible thing for sure, but unfortunately I think far too many people are going to read too much into it. There's no way to decipher the thought process of a mad man. This is a truly sad day for Norway and Europe.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems the terrorist is Norwegian right-wing Christian:

From CNN

"Police have detained a 32-year-old Norwegian man who they suspect opened fire on scores at the ruling Labour Party's youth camp on Utoya Island, about 20 miles from Oslo."

From Arabiya TV (pro USA TV in Arabic):

"The suspected terrorist is called A. B. Vick" Norwegian origin and nationality" belong to the right wing"

Attached here is his picture from Arabiya TV:

Attachments

• 436x328_97601_158885.jpg
    436x328_97601_158885.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 398
mege said:
The presumptions were not unfounded, esspecially since some Islamic extremists took responsibility early on in the day.

It's a terrible thing for sure, but unfortunately I think far too many people are going to read too much into it. There's no way to decipher the thought process of a mad man. This is a truly sad day for Norway and Europe.

How you know that Islamic group who did that call?? may be anti-Muslims or racist group who did it to spread propaganda and hate?? Everybody from group z can call tv stations and claim that x group did y attack? Should we just wait any telephone call from unknown source to take a conclusion??

I never visit Norway, but I love this country and nation who works a lot to support peace in my country (Israel-Palestine). I am very sad and shock for this horrible attack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Majd100 said:
How you know that Islamic group who did that call?? may be anti-Muslims or racist group who did it to spread propaganda and hate?? Everybody from group z can call tv stations and claim that x group did y attack? Should we just wait any telephone call from unknown source to take a conclusion??

I never visit Norway, but I love this country and nation who works a lot to support peace in my country (Israel-Palestine). I am very sad and shock for this horrible attack.

When the comments were made wrt this being an Islamic terrorist threat, that was the most current information. I don't think any credible source is claiming that to be the case now that the suspect is in custody. I liken the situation to coming home and finding the dog food bag ripped open. Of course you're going to blame the dog first, but sometimes it really is the cat that did it.

mege said:
When the comments were made wrt this being an Islamic terrorist threat, that was the most current information. I don't think any credible source is claiming that to be the case now that the suspect is in custody. I liken the situation to coming home and finding the dog food bag ripped open. Of course you're going to blame the dog first, but sometimes it really is the cat that did it.

I partially agree, for this reason I believe that the next step of Arab spring is to get rid of the extremists groups by all means.

However, you will blame all the dogs for the crime of one bad dog (who already grew up in your house as Alqaeda grew up in the CIA training camps in the 80s) but you will not blame all cats for the stupid mistake of your lovely cat even if she eats your kid??

http://www.hs.fi/ <-- A front page of the one of the biggest news papers in Finland.

At least now (Saturday morning), it has a big picture that shows a little bit of what happened. I don't put a direct link to a picture though. It's shocking. Don't click if you are afraid to see what happened.

I guess nobody has any ability to guess or understand the motives behind this attack, seemingly carried out by a lone mad man. I would remind you all that the Norwegian police have detained the probable suspect Anders Behring Breivik, so I guess eventually we'll hear his "explanation".

The blame on islamists was unfortunate, although unavoidable, I believe. Now this Breivik has been labeled as "a right wing extremist" instead. My opinion is that this labeling is no smarter at all. I'm sure there is not one single right wing extremist in this world who would approve this slaughter of almost one hundred Norwegian teenagers.

This is an absolute nightmare.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14259356 That sums it up, for those who don't know yet what's going on.

I just read from Finnish news that Breivik has been co-operative, and that according to a police chief Roger Andersen, Breivik is interested to explain his actions. I don't know what to think. It's going to be quite an explanation.

arildno said:
This is an absolute nightmare.
I woke up to see the number of deaths has gone up dramatically this morning. It's unbelievable what terrible things are dreamt up by some people. I am so sad for Norway.

There are now reports that there probably was one more evil bastard massacring youths at Utøya, still at loose.

Mr. Breivik is now charged by the most serious paragraph in Norwegian law, paragraph 147a), dubbed the "terror paragraph".
The maximum penalty is 21 years.

However, FORTUNATELY, a few years ago, we introduced in our penal system a so-called "ruling of indefinite confinement", which was meant to be used, in addition to the formal penalty can keep a criminal in confinement indefinitely (i.e, theoretically for life).

It seems he bought the fertilizers used for bomb making (nitrate compounds??) through a company he had started, Breivik Geofarm

I don’t know what to say... words are not enough... 7 persons bombed to death... 84 completely innocent teenagers brutally slaughtered, one by one, in cold blood and by this crazy monster... last night I saw a picture (that I will *NOT* link to) from the island where this insane psychopath killed 10+ youths in the water... the last kid was praying for his life in the water... incomprehensible... surreal... insane... :frown:

This deeply sick and inhuman creature should never ever be let out of prison. Never.

arildno, my deepest condolences to you and all of your fellow countrymen, in the worst day in Norway since WWII.

My thoughts go out to the victims and their families

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY5i4-rWh44

My condolences to the Norwegian people for the tragic events in your country. You are a great and a peaceful nation and I am sure that you will face bravely this tragic situation.

My sad thoughts go out to all the families of these people. Is the Beatles song about a guy who, after having had a good evening/night, committed arson? I'm not sure if it is appropriate to this tragic occurrence.

Very sad and shocking. My condolences to the people of Norway.

Horrendous events. I could not stop myself, I found myself trying to imagine my feelings if my own son, in his teenage years, went off to some camp with his friends and had his life cut short by some maniac. It’s a thought too grotesque to deal with, but it’s the reality too many Norwegian parents are dealing with right now.

Of course there is an inevitability to the situation that early speculations included the possibility of some revenge attack by Muslim terrorists. Always the point is that Muslim terrorists do not represent the vast majority of Muslim people, any more than Breivik represents the majority of Norwegian people, even those of a nationalist outlook. He has been described as a white Christian fundamentalist. There’s the word that is your common denominator – ‘fundamentalist’. This word is taking on the meaning ‘person prepared to suppress their humanity in the name of dogma’.

Mr. Breivik was active on several websites.
Some of those have done a commendable effort to collect what he has written available for all to see, the general public, political analysts, psychiatric expertise and, of course, the police.
The general consensus at the moment is that something like this was not foreseeable from his postings, there was no raves or rants and urgings for violence.
---------------------------------------------
It is, perhaps, a tragic wisdom that it is precisely among those controlled enough NOT to advertise their darkest thoughts that danger of this kind will lurk, not among the loud, foul-mouthed internet trolls.

The suspect apparently purchased 6 tonnes of fertilizer.http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/07/23/general-eu-norway-explosion_8580713.html
Ammonium nitrate was used in the serial bombings in my city (Mumbai, India) last week.

I feel sorry for the Norwegian nationals affected in this barbaric act. I can empathize with what you are going through, Arildno! :frown:

Thank you, Reshma.

I had to go out in the woodlands today, for some pure, clean air.
Looking for mushrooms took my mind off this terrible tragedy, and thus a type of healing could commence.
I was utterly distraught last night.
No one I know has been physically hurt or killed, so it would be offensive of me to claim "victim status".
But I needed to regain an emotional equilibrium, nonetheless.After a couple of hours out in the free, I have returned home with some chantrels I will eat with my dinner.

arildno said:
Mr. Breivik is now charged by the most serious paragraph in Norwegian law, paragraph 147a), dubbed the "terror paragraph".

However, FORTUNATELY, a few years ago, we introduced in our penal system a so-called "ruling of indefinite confinement", which was meant to be used, in addition to the formal penalty can keep a criminal in confinement indefinitely (i.e, theoretically for life).

It seems he bought the fertilizers used for bomb making (nitrate compounds??) through a company he had started, Breivik Geofarm

21 years? Was that regardless of possible deaths?

Does anyone know how the perpetrator was apprehended? Did he simply give himself up to the police when they arrived?

206PiruBlood said:
Does anyone know how the perpetrator was apprehended? Did he simply give himself up to the police when they arrived?

Yes, in a report the police said that he simply put down his weapons and gave himself up.

Breivik has now fully confessed to both attacks, according to his lawyer, Lippestad.

Gunman's background puzzles police in Norway
http://news.yahoo.com/gunmans-background-puzzles-police-norway-044701742.html

The document.no connection is mainly from 2009, last post from october 2010.
In his "manifesto", he dismisses the document.no-group as "a moderate conservative group" just committed to "talking".

Moderate in HIS view of course, but commitment to the concept of the Rechtsstaat is a pillar of that community. It might possibly be dubbed reactionary; the English philosopher Roger Scruton (editor of National rewview, I believe) is one of the main inspirators for the editor of document.no.

A much more "interesting" web connection of Anders Behring Breivik is some Swedish Neonazi site in which how to make such a bomb was actually discussed.

arildno said:

Wait, the most serious penalty in Norwegian law is 21 years? I could go to Norway and murder somebody, and I'd only get that? (at least before the ruling of indefinite confinement came around.)

In America, murder often carries a life sentence. 20 years just seems incredibly light for murder. A 20 year old could murder somebody and still be out by the age of 40 to live out his life.

Jack21222 said:
Wait, the most serious penalty in Norwegian law is 21 years? I could go to Norway and murder somebody, and I'd only get that? (at least before the ruling of indefinite confinement came around.)

In America, murder often carries a life sentence. 20 years just seems incredibly light for murder. A 20 year old could murder somebody and still be out by the age of 40 to live out his life.

Life imprisonment doesn't always mean imprisonment for life (including the US: parole eligibility between 15 and 35 years into sentence):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_imprisonment

Giving up your youth seems to be a pretty high price to pay. There was a Superman I got years and years ago (and it was probably 10-15 years old when I got it, courtesy of a few milk crates of hand-me-downs from my older cousins). In it, there was an alien race that imposed long sentences on murderers, but would let the convicts out the same day they got in. They just aged the convicts whatever their sentence was.

Can they not convict him of each individual death and make the sentences concurrent? I've seen that here in the US. Where the person might have gotten out of prison, except that they tried the person on the crimes individually, then ruled that the criminal would serve their sentences one after the other.

Surely the killings of the students could be done this way.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Can they not convict him of each individual death and make the sentances concurrent? I've seen that here in the US. Where the person might have gotten out of prison, except that they tried the person on the crimes individually, then ruled that the criminal would serve their sentances one after the other.

I certainly hope they can. Gunning down kids one by one is probably the most monstrous thing I can think of any human being ever doing. Even when McVeigh killed a bunch of kids, he didn't get to sit there and watch them beg for their life before pulling the trigger. He just parked a vehicle and ran off.

Emotions should never prevail the laws. I don't see anything getting achieved in giving him harsh sentence under assumption that he was mentally unstable.

rootX said:
Emotions should never prevail the laws. I don't see anything getting achieved to give him harsh sentence under assumption that he was mentally unstable.
It will never be safe to allow this person back into society. If they determine him to be criminally insane, then he should be locked away for the rest of his life.

rootX said:
Emotions should never prevail the laws. I don't see anything getting achieved in giving him harsh sentence under assumption that he was mentally unstable.

How about under the assumption that if he ever gets out... even at age 80, that he'd just continue his silly crusade and kill more people?

Evo said:
Can they not convict him of each individual death and make the sentences concurrent? I've seen that here in the US. Where the person might have gotten out of prison, except that they tried the person on the crimes individually, then ruled that the criminal would serve their sentences one after the other.

That has never been done before in the Norwegian penal system.
The conservative/libertarian Party of Progress has aired the idea before, but as yet, they haven't gained ground on this issue.

I think, however, that no one will even DARE not to do find scrutinize every legal possibility we have to ensure that Mr. Breivik will get full, effective penalty for the rest of his life.

If anything "good" can come out of this case, it may be that the realization may finally dawn upon sufficient numbers of people that if you do something really, REALLY bad, then you have, for ever, lost your rights as a free citizen.

For too long, "rehabilitation of criminals" has been the totally dominant dogma in Norwegian justiciary, as opposed to punishment and safeguarding of the general public.

rootX said:

Mentally unstable should not kill or harm other people or be a threat to other people in the society. Its not a question of harsh punishment but it also serve as a reminder to others they cannot kill or harm innocent people.