Bond Angles, Bond Lengths and Hybridization

In summary, the molecule 1,3,5-cyclohexatriene has three C=C bonds and three C-C bonds, leading to conflicting results of a regular hexagon and a distorted hexagon. The assumption that each carbon atom would be exactly sp2 hybridized is incorrect, as the molecule is a strained ring and would have distorted bond angles. Alternative hybridizations, such as sp3 and three different hybrids, may be used to explain the experimental consequences of this strain. It is also possible to have an irregular hexagon with 120º angles at all six corners.
PFuser1232
Consider the hypothetical molecule 1,3,5-cyclohexatriene (not benzene, I am referring to a molecule where no resonance takes place - a molecule with three C=C bonds and 3 C-C bonds). Each carbon atom in this molecule would be participating in one double bond, and so each carbon atom would be sp2 hybridized. This would suggest bond angles of 120° throughout the cyclic structure, which is only true of a regular hexagon. However, C=C bonds are shorter than C-C bonds. Three C=C bonds and three C-C bonds would certainly result in a somewhat distorted hexagon. Those are clearly two conflicting results. What are your thoughts on this?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Assumption that each carbon would be exactly sp2 is where you gone wrong. This is a strained ring, so it would be distorted.

Borek said:
Assumption that each carbon would be exactly sp2 is where you gone wrong. This is a strained ring, so it would be distorted.

Why and how wouldn't the C atoms be sp2 hybridized?

They can't be exactly sp2 for teh reason you have listed - it is impossible to have all bond angles equal to 120° and a flat molecule.

Think about cyclopropene - it has a double bond. Draw it. What are angles? It is possible these are sp2 atoms?

As I repeatedly pointed out in this forum, hybridization is not a property of the molecule but to some degree up to your personal choice.
Instead of sp##^2##, you could use three different hybrids, so that e.g. the shorter bond has more s character and the longer bond more p character.
Another possibility would be to use sp3 hybrids so that the double bonds are two banana bonds.
In the strained compounds Borek mentioned, this also has experimental consequences, to get the smaller bond angles, it is adavantageous for the orbitals forming the bonds in the ring to have more p character so that the orbital on C forming the CH bond has more s character. This increases the acidity of the CH bond.
See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bent_bond

I have to disagree with everyone who has posted here.

It's entirely possible to have an irregular hexagon that still has 120º angles at all six corners. What ever gave you the idea that it wasn't?

Try this:

Draw an equilateral triangle, and make marks at the 1/4 and 3/4 points along each edge.
Now draw straight lines connecting each mark to the nearest mark on another side.
You now have a planar figure with six 120º angles, where three sides are twice as long as the other three sides.

PhaseShifter said:
What ever gave you the idea that it wasn't?

Sigh. That it is possible was my first idea, and I did some quick calculation to check it. And I got the correct result which supports the idea it possible, I just misunderstood what I got. It happens to still lie on my desk, making faces at me :(

1. What are bond angles?

Bond angles refer to the angle between two bonded atoms and a central atom in a molecule. It is determined by the shape of the molecule and the type of bonds present.

2. How do bond lengths affect molecular structure?

Bond lengths play a crucial role in determining the overall shape and stability of a molecule. The longer the bond length, the weaker the bond and the greater the bond angle. Shorter bond lengths result in stronger bonds and smaller bond angles.

3. What is hybridization?

Hybridization is the mixing of atomic orbitals to form hybrid orbitals, which have different shapes and energies than the original atomic orbitals. This allows for the formation of multiple bonds and explains the observed bond angles in molecules.

4. How does hybridization affect bond angles and lengths?

Hybridization can affect bond angles and lengths by changing the orientation of the hybrid orbitals and the resulting bond angles. It can also lead to shorter bond lengths due to the formation of stronger bonds.

5. Can bond angles and lengths be predicted?

Yes, bond angles and lengths can be predicted based on the type of hybridization present in a molecule and the number of bonded and lone pairs of electrons around the central atom. This can provide valuable information about the shape and stability of a molecule.