XXh spin chain, colleration function

In summary, an XXh spin chain is a one-dimensional lattice of spins that interact through a Hamiltonian of the form XX + hZ, commonly studied in quantum information and condensed matter physics. The correlation function for this type of spin chain is calculated by taking the expectation value of the product of two spin operators at different positions along the chain, and can provide information about the system's behavior, quantum entanglement, critical points, and physical quantities. The behavior of the correlation function is highly dependent on the value of the magnetic field h, and can be experimentally measured using techniques such as neutron scattering or NMR spectroscopy.
Illuminatio fit

Homework Statement

So given XXh chain:
$$\hat{H} = -J \sum ( S^x_j S^x_{j+1} +S^y_j S^y_{j+1}) + h \sum S^z_j $$
Requred to find $$\langle g| S^z_{j} S^z_{j+n} | g \rangle$$, where g is ground state.
2. The attempt at a solution
Using Jordan-Wigner transform firstly I abtain:
$$\hat{H} = -\frac{J}{2} \sum ( c^+_{j+1} c^-_{j} +c^+_j c^-_{j+1}) + h \sum c^+_j c^-_{j}$$.
Then using Fourier transform, into the impulse representation:
$$\hat{c}^{\pm}_j = \frac{1}{\sqrt{N}} \sum e^{\pm pj} \hat{a}^\pm_p$$
After some algebra we get nice H:
$$\hat{H} = \sum_{p} (-J \cos p + h) \hat{a}^+_p \hat{a}^-_p - \frac{h}{2}$$.
It's easy to see that for h>J |0> is ground state, and the answer is 1/4 this case die to Wick's theorem.
To find the ground state we should "turn" every p-th state in which -Jcosp+h<0.
Lets now pick h and J so that there's only p=0 that holds the inequality (its possible for any N).
Now I'm confused firstly because I'm not sure how c-operator acts on 1 flipped momentum state. And secondly because I'm not sure if I can use Wicks theorem now.
I tried to represent all the c-operators in Fourier series but that case I'm not sure if
$$a^+ a^+ |0> = 0$$

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your interesting post. I am a fellow scientist and I would like to help you with your problem.
Firstly, your attempt at the solution seems to be on the right track. However, it is important to note that in order to find the expectation value $\langle g| S^z_{j} S^z_{j+n} | g \rangle$, we need to find the ground state $|g\rangle$ first.

To find the ground state, we can use the Jordan-Wigner transformation as you have done. However, we need to be careful when applying the Fourier transform to the creation and annihilation operators. In particular, we need to keep in mind that the operators $\hat{a}_p^+$ and $\hat{a}_p^-$ are creation and annihilation operators for fermions, which obey the anti-commutation relations:
$$\{\hat{a}_p^+,\hat{a}_q^-\} = \delta_{p,q}$$
$$\{\hat{a}_p^+,\hat{a}_q^+\} = \{\hat{a}_p^-,\hat{a}_q^-\} = 0$$
Therefore, when we apply the Fourier transform to the creation and annihilation operators, we need to take into account the anti-commutation relations. This will ensure that the ground state we obtain is a fermionic state, which is necessary for the application of Wick's theorem.

As for your second question, the action of the creation and annihilation operators on a state with flipped momentum is given by:
$$\hat{a}_p^+ |1_p\rangle = |0_p\rangle$$
$$\hat{a}_p^- |0_p\rangle = |1_p\rangle$$
where $|1_p\rangle$ represents a state with one fermion occupying the momentum state $p$. It is important to note that these operators do not change the number of particles in a given momentum state.

In conclusion, you are on the right track in your attempt to find the ground state and the expectation value. Just be careful with the application of the Fourier transform and the anti-commutation relations, and you should be able to find the correct result. I hope this helps. Good luck with your research!

1. What is an XXh spin chain?

An XXh spin chain is a one-dimensional lattice of spins that interact through a Hamiltonian of the form XX + hZ, where XX represents interactions between neighboring spins and hZ represents a magnetic field applied along the Z-axis. This type of spin chain is commonly studied in quantum information and condensed matter physics.

2. How is the correlation function calculated for an XXh spin chain?

The correlation function for an XXh spin chain is calculated by taking the expectation value of the product of two spin operators at different positions along the chain. This gives a measure of the correlation between the spins at those positions.

3. What information can be obtained from the correlation function of an XXh spin chain?

The correlation function of an XXh spin chain can provide information about the behavior of the system, such as the presence of quantum entanglement and the presence of any critical points or phase transitions. It can also be used to calculate physical quantities such as the spin-spin correlation length and the susceptibility of the system.

4. How does the correlation function of an XXh spin chain change with different values of the magnetic field h?

The behavior of the correlation function of an XXh spin chain is highly dependent on the value of the magnetic field h. For small values of h, the correlation function decays exponentially, indicating a lack of long-range order in the system. As h increases, the correlation function can exhibit power-law decay, which is characteristic of a critical point or phase transition.

5. Can the correlation function of an XXh spin chain be experimentally measured?

Yes, the correlation function of an XXh spin chain can be measured experimentally using techniques such as neutron scattering or nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. These experiments can provide valuable insights into the behavior of the system and can be compared to theoretical predictions to validate models and theories.