Bosons: Explaining Particles That Defy Imagination

In summary, I've never been able to get my head around the idea that forces are particles. In the case of fermions, a particle seems to be a natural concept. Even though it's really a wave, or an excitation in a quantum field, I can envision it as being something in a particular place. For bosons that doesn't seem to work. See above: They don't. The fields do. Also, if they are not particles why are they always referred to as such, and pointed to in these graphs of particles that are seen after a collision in an accelerator?
Nevada City Bob
I've never been able to get my head around the idea that forces are particles. In the case of fermions, a particle seems to be a natural concept. Even though it's really a wave, or an excitation in a quantum field, I can envision it as being something in a particular place. For bosons that doesn't seem to work.

Take for instance a proton, electron, and photon. Photons are causing the proton and electron to be attracted to each other continuously over a period of time. How does a particle do that? Is it a single photon or many? Where is it located relative to the proton and electron? If anyone can explain what I'm missing, I'd be grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevada City Bob said:
I've never been able to get my head around the idea that forces are particles.
They are not. Interactions can be described as exchange of virtual particles but this is purely a tool in calculations. Virtual particles are not actual objects flying around.

I'm afraid that doesn't clear it up for me. I still wonder how bosons sustain forces over time. Also, if they are not particles why are they always referred to as such, and pointed to in these graphs of particles that are seen after a collision in an accelerator? Another example is the Higgs boson, which when discovered appeared as a specific dot on a graph.

Nevada City Bob said:
I still wonder how bosons sustain forces over time.
See above: They don't. The fields do.
Nevada City Bob said:
Also, if they are not particles why are they always referred to as such, and pointed to in these graphs of particles that are seen after a collision in an accelerator?
You can have real particles but that is a different situation. That is not what you have e.g. in an electron around a nucleus.
Nevada City Bob said:
Another example is the Higgs boson, which when discovered appeared as a specific dot on a graph.
I'm not sure which dot and which graph you mean.
The Higgs bosons measured at the LHC are real particles.

I am not well versed in real versus virtual particles and don't know why the real particles are a "different situation." What was the original situation? Perhaps you could recommend some reading that would cover this ground.

Thanks

Nevada City Bob said:
I am not well versed in real versus virtual particles and don't know why the real particles are a "different situation." What was the original situation? Perhaps you could recommend some reading that would cover this ground.

Thanks

What level of physics knowledge do you already have?

Nevada City Bob said:
I've never been able to get my head around the idea that forces are particles. In the case of fermions, a particle seems to be a natural concept.

It's not necessarily "natural", it feels that way because you heard about electrons and protons since early school. In everyday experience, we never perceive electrons and protons, they are way too small.

(Likewise, Earth being a globe and Earth orbiting the Sun feels natural _to us today_, but in fact it's very non-obvious for a casual observer, and centuries ago people had significant difficulties convincing everybody that it's true).

IOW: your different feel to bosons and fermions being particles is psychological.

1. What is a boson?

A boson is a type of subatomic particle that is characterized by integer spin, meaning it has a whole number value of angular momentum. Examples of bosons include photons, gluons, and the Higgs boson.

2. How do bosons behave differently from other particles?

Bosons exhibit behavior that is different from other particles, such as fermions, because they follow Bose-Einstein statistics. This means that they can occupy the same quantum state and do not obey the Pauli exclusion principle like fermions do.

3. What is the significance of the Higgs boson?

The Higgs boson is a fundamental particle that was predicted by the Standard Model of particle physics and was finally discovered in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider. It is responsible for giving other particles their mass through the Higgs field.

4. How do scientists study bosons?

Scientists study bosons through particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, and through particle detectors. These tools allow them to observe the behavior and interactions of bosons in high-energy collisions.

5. What are the practical applications of studying bosons?

Studying bosons helps scientists gain a better understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe and the building blocks of matter. This knowledge can lead to advancements in fields such as technology, medicine, and energy.