Boundary union and intersection problems

In summary, the conversation discusses proving or disproving the statement B(AUC) O B(A)UB(C) and B(A∩C) O B(A)∩B(C), where O represents the symbols ⊆, ⊇, and =. The conversation also includes discussing the possibility of both statements being false and the need to prove that at least one of them is true. The conversation then shifts to a more complex exercise involving subsets and supersets.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Let A, C [itex]\subseteq[/itex] ℝn with boundaries B(A) and B(C) respectively. Prove or disprove :

B(AUC) O B(A)UB(C)

and

B(A[itex]\cap[/itex]C) O B(A)[itex]\cap[/itex]B(C)

Where O represents each of these symbols : [itex]\subseteq, \supseteq, =[/itex]

Homework Equations

I know that double inclusion is going to cut the work required by 33% :)?

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess I'll try to start with the case B(AUC) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] B(A)UB(C) ( Since intuitively I know the boundary simply can't get bigger when I union two sets, so I have a feeling that testing for [itex]\supseteq[/itex] is going to flop ).

So suppose [itex]x \in B(A \cup C)[/itex] then we know x is a boundary point of AUC, that is : [itex]\forall δ>0, \exists P \in (A \cup C) \wedge Q \in (ℝ^n - A \cup C) | P, Q \in N_δ(x)[/itex]

Now how to proceed from here I'm not sure, any pointers would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, you've established that every neighborhood [itex]N_\delta(x)[/itex] contains points of [itex]A \cup C[/itex].

Is it possible for both of the following statements to be false?

* Every neighborhood [itex]N_\delta(x)[/itex] contains points of [itex]A[/itex]
* Every neighborhood [itex]N_\delta(x)[/itex] contains points of [itex]C[/itex]

jbunniii said:
OK, you've established that every neighborhood [itex]N_\delta(x)[/itex] contains points of [itex]A \cup C[/itex].

Is it possible for both of the following statements to be false?

* Every neighborhood [itex]N_\delta(x)[/itex] contains points of [itex]C[/itex]

Case #1 : B(AUC) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] B(A)UB(C). So we know that x is a boundary point of AUC, that is [itex]\forall δ>0, \exists P_1 \in (A \cup C) \wedge P_2 \in (ℝ^n - A \cup C) | P_1, P_2 \in N_δ(x).[/itex]

So we want to show either x is in B(A) or x is in B(C). To show this, consider [itex]\forall δ'>0, \exists Q_1 \in A \wedge Q_2 \in (ℝ^n - A) | Q_1, Q_2 \in N_δ(x).[/itex].

Let Q1 = P1, if Q1 [itex]\in[/itex] AUC then Q1 [itex]\in[/itex]A.

Let Q2 = P2, if Q2[itex]\in[/itex] (ℝn-A) ( By De Morgans laws of course ) then Q2[itex]\in[/itex] (ℝn-A)

This is finally sufficient to show that x[itex]\in[/itex]B(A) or x[itex]\in[/itex]B(C) through similar argument.

Last edited:
Is this good so far or?

Zondrina said:
So we want to show either x is in B(A) or x is in B(C). To show this, consider [itex]\forall δ'>0, \exists Q_1 \in A \wedge Q_2 \in (ℝ^n - A) | Q_1, Q_2 \in N_δ(x).[/itex].

It's not necessarily true that every neighborhood of [itex]x[/itex] contains a point of A.

Here is an example:

[itex]A = [0,1][/itex]
[itex]C = [2,3][/itex]
[itex]A\cup C = [0,1]\cup [2,3][/itex]
Let [itex]x = 3[/itex]. Then [itex]x \in B(A \cup C)[/itex], but [itex]N_1(x)[/itex] contains no point of A.

However, consider my earlier hint. I claim that at least one of these must be true:

or
* Every neighborhood [itex]N_\delta(x)[/itex] contains points of [itex]B[/itex]

I recommend that you start by proving this claim. Then you can proceed knowing that one of the sets, A or B, has the desired property.

jbunniii said:
It's not necessarily true that every neighborhood of [itex]x[/itex] contains a point of A.

Here is an example:

[itex]A = [0,1][/itex]
[itex]C = [2,3][/itex]
[itex]A\cup C = [0,1]\cup [2,3][/itex]
Let [itex]x = 3[/itex]. Then [itex]x \in B(A \cup C)[/itex], but [itex]N_1(x)[/itex] contains no point of A.

However, consider my earlier hint. I claim that at least one of these must be true:

or
* Every neighborhood [itex]N_\delta(x)[/itex] contains points of [itex]B[/itex]

I recommend that you start by proving this claim. Then you can proceed knowing that one of the sets, A or B, has the desired property.

Sorry about that, had to step out for a bit. So I want to prove no matter what point x is in the boundary, the neighborhood of that x will contain points from A and points from C?

Zondrina said:
Sorry about that, had to step out for a bit. So I want to prove no matter what point x is in the boundary, the neighborhood of that x will contain points from A and points from C?

No, it won't necessarily contain points from both.

What you need to be able to say is this:

"Choose a point x in the boundary of the union. Every neighborhood of x contains points from A."

or

"Choose a point x in the boundary of the union. Every neighborhood of x contains points from B."

Which one of these statements is true will depend on x and on the sets. And it doesn't matter which one is true. What's important is that at least one of them has to be true for any given x. See if you can prove that. I also have to take off for a while, will check in again later this evening. Good luck in the meantime!

jbunniii said:
No, it won't necessarily contain points from both.

What you need to be able to say is this:

"Choose a point x in the boundary of the union. Every neighborhood of x contains points from A."

or

"Choose a point x in the boundary of the union. Every neighborhood of x contains points from B."

Which one of these statements is true will depend on x and on the sets. And it doesn't matter which one is true. What's important is that at least one of them has to be true for any given x. See if you can prove that. I also have to take off for a while, will check in again later this evening. Good luck in the meantime!

I managed to figure these out. Turns out the subset condition held, but the superset and therefore equivalence both failed.

I actually have a slightly more interesting exercise the prof gave me and I have some of it done already, but it's the one I'm interested in and I'm stuck again :P.

Would you care to have a look at it so I don't have to make ANOTHER thread for no reason.

Zondrina said:
I managed to figure these out. Turns out the subset condition held, but the superset and therefore equivalence both failed.

I actually have a slightly more interesting exercise the prof gave me and I have some of it done already, but it's the one I'm interested in and I'm stuck again :P.

Would you care to have a look at it so I don't have to make ANOTHER thread for no reason.

Sure, I'll take a look. But please create a new thread for it, if it's a new problem.

1. What is a boundary in the context of union and intersection problems?

A boundary is a line or point that separates two or more sets or regions. In union and intersection problems, the boundary is the line or point where the sets or regions intersect or join together.

2. How are boundary union and intersection problems used in science?

Boundary union and intersection problems are commonly used in various scientific fields, such as mathematics, physics, and computer science. They are used to study and analyze the relationships and interactions between different sets or regions, and to identify commonalities and differences between them.

3. What is the difference between boundary union and intersection problems?

The main difference between boundary union and intersection problems lies in their outcomes. In boundary union problems, the outcome is a set or region that includes all elements from the original sets or regions. In boundary intersection problems, the outcome is a set or region that only contains elements that are common to all the original sets or regions.

4. How do you solve boundary union and intersection problems?

To solve boundary union and intersection problems, you first need to identify the sets or regions involved and their boundaries. Then, you can use various methods, such as Venn diagrams or algebraic equations, to visualize and manipulate the sets or regions and find the boundary union or intersection.

5. What are some real-life examples of boundary union and intersection problems?

Boundary union and intersection problems can be applied in many real-life situations, such as analyzing the overlapping genetic traits in different species, studying the distribution of resources in a given area, or identifying the common characteristics between different types of data in statistics.