Simple Set Theory - Union, Intersect and Complement

In summary: In a situation like this, if you are just writing it out for your own understanding, using the equivalences can help you understand the problem better. In summary, it is valid to use analogous logic symbols to show the truth of the statement, as long as you handle order of operations properly.
BrianMath

Homework Statement

If A, B, and C are subsets of the set S, show that
[tex]A^C \cup B^C = \left(A \cap B\right)^C[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]A^C = \{x \in S: x \not \in A\}[/tex]
[tex]A\cup B = \{x \in S:\; x \in A\; or\; x\in B\}[/tex]
[tex]A\cap B = \{x \in S:\; x \in A\; and\; x\in B\}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]A^C \cup B^C = \{x\in S:\; x\not \in A\; or\; x \not \in B\}[/tex]
[tex]\left(A \cap B\right)^C = \{x\in S:\; x \not \in \left(A\cap B)\right \}[/tex]
Since [itex]\lnot A \lor \lnot B = \lnot \left(A \land B\right)[/itex], we have that [itex]\{x\in S:\; x\not \in A\; or\; x \not \in B\} = \{x\in S:\; x \not \in \left(A\cap B)\right \}[/itex]
[tex]\;\;\; \therefore A^C \cup B^C = \left(A \cap B\right)^C[/tex]

Is it valid for me to relate the set operations to the analogous logic symbols to show that this is true? Such as, complement being the same as [itex]\lnot[/itex] (not) or the union and intersection being the same as [itex]\lor[/itex] (or) and [itex]\land[/itex] (and), respectively?

I'm sorry if this is obvious. I'm teaching myself Analysis out of Maxwell Rosenlicht's "Introduction to Analysis" text, so I want to make sure I'm not making any false assumptions or developing a false intuition of set theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's okay to use "not" when dealing with the complement. It's also okay to use the equivalence of one thing to another, like -A or -B = -(A and B) as long as you know it's true, and you are sure to handle order of operations in these situations properly. The only time I can think of where it may be not okay to use such equivalences would be on a test, where the whole point would be showing the equivalence.

1. What is the definition of a union in set theory?

A union in set theory is a mathematical operation that combines two or more sets and creates a new set that contains all the elements from the original sets, without any duplicates.

2. How is the union of two sets represented?

The union of two sets A and B is represented as A ∪ B, where the symbol "∪" stands for union.

3. What is the definition of an intersection in set theory?

An intersection in set theory is a mathematical operation that finds the common elements between two or more sets and creates a new set with those elements.

4. How is the intersection of two sets represented?

The intersection of two sets A and B is represented as A ∩ B, where the symbol "∩" stands for intersection.

5. What is the definition of a complement in set theory?

A complement in set theory is a mathematical operation that finds the elements that are not present in a given set, but are present in a universal set. In other words, it is the set of all elements that do not belong to the given set.