Budget (Cash-Strapped) Self Study Advice Please

In summary: I also looked into student loan, but the interest rates are very high and the repayment period is very long.I also looked into scholarships, but I found out they are usually given to students who attend a certain type of university, not to students like me who have graduated from a different type of school.I also looked into government funded programs, but I found out they are usually very competitive and have very specific requirements.I also looked into private tuition, but I found out that the tuition rates are very high.There is used having scholarship offer, but I rejected it because the amount was too small for enrollment and semesterly tuitons.I also looked into student loan, but the
bagasme
Hello all,

Now I had graduated from high school, and I'd like to self-study (revisiting) high school mathematics and physics (not for exam).

But recently I often saw ads for a local online course platform. Many of the platform's users have been admitted to top colleges, and get better score marks in exams. However, after consulting with my family, I couldn't afford for enroll to it, despite that the platform often gave discount promos (which might make it affordable to me and my family).

What should I do in that case? How can I keep up with online course users without enroll to it (the platform)?

Bagas

Physics news on Phys.org
You led off with, "... I'd like to self-study (revisiting) high school mathematics and physics (not for exam). " So why are you concerned with, "How can I keep up with online course users without enroll to it (the platform)? "?

Likes russ_watters
There is a lot of information missing here - like where you are and what you are trying to accomp;lish and how this might fit in with that.

Likes russ_watters
bagasme said:
How can I keep up with online course users without enroll to it ?

You can't.

Zz.

Likes russ_watters
Students I've mentored have found the ALEKS online program to be very good and cost-effective.

Basically, if you complete 95-100% of the Precalculus pie, you have mastered high school math.

The ALEKS system is smart, it knows how to determine and keep you focused on weak areas rather than lots of redundant practice in areas you are already good at.

• Informative
Likes sysprog and berkeman
Hi there. I know from a previous thread that you are from Indonesia and had previously been a high school student. Are you ultimately planning on attending university? Or are you unable to attend because you (or your family) cannot afford to do so?

It helps if you could provide more information.

Likes russ_watters and sysprog
@
StatGuy2000 said:
Hi there. I know from a previous thread that you are from Indonesia and had previously been a high school student. Are you ultimately planning on attending university? Or are you unable to attend because you (or your family) cannot afford to do so?

It helps if you could provide more information.
Not Yet.

I don't enroll to anything because (unfortunately) my family cannot afford them.

bagasme said:
@

Not Yet.

I don't enroll to anything because (unfortunately) my family cannot afford them.

I see. Are there any options for you to be able to pursue a university education in Indonesia, given that your family cannot afford them (scholarships, student grants, loans)?

Given what I know about Indonesia (more broadly, much of Southeast Asia), without a university education, your options for employment are very limited and often quite grim.

StatGuy2000 said:
I see. Are there any options for you to be able to pursue a university education in Indonesia, given that your family cannot afford them (scholarships, student grants, loans)?

Given what I know about Indonesia (more broadly, much of Southeast Asia), without a university education, your options for employment are very limited and often quite grim.

There is used having scholarship offer, but I rejected it because the amount was too small for enrollment and semesterly tuitons.

1. How can I effectively study on a budget?

One way to study on a budget is to utilize free or low-cost resources, such as online tutorials, library materials, or study groups with classmates. You can also try creating your own study materials, such as flashcards or study guides, instead of purchasing expensive ones.

2. What are some tips for managing my time while self-studying on a budget?

Prioritizing your study tasks and setting a schedule can help you manage your time more effectively. It can also be helpful to break up your study sessions into smaller chunks of time, rather than trying to cram everything in at once. Additionally, finding a quiet and distraction-free study space can help you stay focused and make the most of your time.

3. How can I stay motivated while self-studying on a budget?

Setting achievable goals for yourself and rewarding yourself when you reach them can help keep you motivated. It can also be helpful to find a study partner or join a study group, as having someone to hold you accountable can help you stay on track. Additionally, reminding yourself of the end goal and the benefits of self-studying can help keep you motivated.

4. Are there any free or low-cost resources specifically for self-studying on a budget?

Yes, there are many free or low-cost resources available for self-studying, such as online tutorials, open educational resources, and study apps. Many universities also offer free or discounted access to their online libraries for current students or alumni. Additionally, there are often free or low-cost study groups or tutoring services available on campus or in the community.

5. Can I still be successful in my studies while on a tight budget?

Yes, it is possible to be successful in your studies while on a budget. It may require some extra effort and creativity, but by utilizing free or low-cost resources and managing your time effectively, you can still achieve your academic goals. Remember to stay motivated and focused, and don't be afraid to reach out for help if needed.