Build or Buy a Van de Graaff generator?

In summary, the conversation is about the necessary skill level for creating a Van de Graaff generator. The person has asked for research and others have suggested searching for DIY tutorials on YouTube. The writer of a guide on Instructables has found that the best material for the generator is a plastic-coated fabric used in hotel shower curtains. They also provide a link to where the material can be purchased. The conversation ends with a joke about the potential consequences of using shower curtains for the generator and a reference to the material supplier.
John1397
TL;DR Summary
Should one spend $250 or try to build one yourself?
Wonder how much skill is needed?

Physics news on Phys.org
What research have you done? What have you found out?

phinds said:
What research have you done? What have you found out?
anorlunda said:
This search will show you what others have done.

I was hoping to get him to do some research on his own.

Unlike some regular folks, the writer of this guide apparently doesn't limit himself to stealing towels (joking here ##-## not calling the helpful person a thief):
from https://www.instructables.com/900000-volt-Van-de-Graaff-Generator-using-cheap-p/:

I tried plastic tape, rubber, fabrics, and the hands down best was a plastic coated fabric used in hotel shower curtains. Its easy to cut and glue and lasts for a long time. The charge it carries was easily 50% better than everything I tried.​

Does anyone suppose that he asked and received permission? I can only imagine the dazed bewilderment of the maid and the houseman encountering the sliced-up remains of the shower curtain ##-##

Could something like that have been a triggering event for Norman Bates?

ok sorry to be anticlimactic ##-## the guy says that you can get the belt material here: https://www.seattlefabrics.com/PVC-coated-vinyl-fabrics_c_65.html#Clear Vinyl Laminated Polyester

Last edited:

1. Should I build or buy a Van de Graaff generator?

It ultimately depends on your level of expertise and resources. Building a Van de Graaff generator requires knowledge of electrical circuits and access to materials, while buying one can save time and effort.

2. How much does it cost to build a Van de Graaff generator?

The cost can vary depending on the size and complexity of the generator, but on average it can range from $50 to $200 for materials.

3. What materials are needed to build a Van de Graaff generator?

The main materials needed are a motor, a belt, a metal sphere or dome, and a base. Other materials may include PVC pipe, aluminum foil, and insulation.

4. Is it safe to build and operate a Van de Graaff generator?

As with any electrical device, there are potential hazards if not built or operated correctly. It is important to follow safety precautions and guidelines, such as wearing rubber gloves and keeping the generator away from water or flammable materials.

5. What are the practical applications of a Van de Graaff generator?

A Van de Graaff generator can be used for demonstrations in physics classrooms, as well as for experiments in electrostatics and high voltage. It can also be used in industrial settings for electrostatic painting or in medical research for ionizing radiation.