Building jig for a project, trying to think of the ISO standard that would apply

In summary, the conversation is about building a jig for a project and trying to determine which ISO standards would apply. Some suggestions for ISO standards have been mentioned, such as ISO 8888, ISO 10377, ISO 14990, and ISO MADE. The discussion also touches on the importance of understanding customer needs and using appropriate standards for manufacturing and testing. However, it is noted that there may be trade secrets involved in the specific methods and jigs used by manufacturers. The conversation also reveals some misconceptions about ISO standards and the need for better understanding and clarification.
lee123456789
TL;DR Summary
Building jig for a project, trying to think of ISO that would apply.
So far i got
ISO 8888
ISO 10377
ISO 14990
ISO MADECan somebody help

Engineering news on Phys.org
lee123456789 said:
Summary:: Building jig for a project, trying to think of ISO that would apply.

So far i got
ISO 8888
ISO 10377
ISO 14990
ISO MADECan somebody help
Whelp, it might help if you described what the jig will be used for, no? :wink:

berkeman said:
Whelp, it might help if you described what the jig will be used for, no? :wink:
PCB jig.

Why document it at all? Who cares what you are building? Will a customer care? Maybe ask the customer? Lordy...

What is wrong with you Berkman! No one ever seeks to find out what the customer wants! They know nothing!
It is the board room players who know waht the pubic wants and needs.. Do come along old Bean! get with he program.

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes Tom.G, anorlunda and berkeman
I feel like the kid in your avatar right now, trying to help the OP... :wink:

I believe it was that great visionary, Horace Dodge ( Dodge motors bought by Chrysler) who opined
" The Public wants a car a man can enter wearing a Top Hat" hence all the Dodges were super tall, high center of gravity, lot of aero drag but hey, you can still wear your top hat! Now that is being in tune with the buying public!

think earthing standards maybe apply
would any electrical standard apply to a pcb jig?
is there any material standards ?
would iso 9001 apply?

Why do you need a jig ? Manufacture, testing, ESD ?

The method and jigs used by a manufacturer, to meet the PCB standards required, will probably be a trade secret = IP. That should not be standardised. It should be specified contractually.

Why is it necessary to have a standard way that you must hold a hammer to do a standard job?

Well i have hit my thumb a few times but that was nit the hammer. It was the nails bent.
What is the ISO for bent nails?

I think the OP has misconceptions about ISO standards, when to use them, where to find them, what they say. Our answers can't be of much help.

@lee123456789, get a copy of some ISO standard, any standard. Read it and see if you understand it. That will help you to express better questions.

Thread closed.

Likes Ranger Mike and berkeman

1. What is a building jig and why is it important for a project?

A building jig is a specialized tool used in construction projects to hold and support materials in a specific position. It is important because it ensures accuracy and consistency in the construction process, resulting in a higher quality end product.

2. How do I determine the appropriate ISO standard for my building jig?

The appropriate ISO standard for a building jig will depend on the specific requirements and specifications of your project. It is recommended to consult with a professional engineer or refer to the ISO website for a list of relevant standards.

3. Can I use a building jig for any type of construction project?

Yes, building jigs can be used for a variety of construction projects, including residential, commercial, and industrial. However, the design and specifications of the jig may vary depending on the specific project requirements.

4. Are there safety considerations when using a building jig?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when using any type of construction equipment, including building jigs. It is important to follow all safety guidelines and protocols outlined in the ISO standard and to regularly inspect the jig for any potential hazards.

5. Can I make my own building jig or should I purchase one?

It is possible to make your own building jig, but it is recommended to purchase one that meets the appropriate ISO standard for your project. This ensures that the jig is designed and manufactured to industry standards and will provide reliable and accurate results.