Buy Oscilloscope | Tips for PWM Signals up to 20kHz

In summary, Jim recommends buying an analog scope instead of a digital one. He mentions eBay and a HAM Radio festival as good places to find these scopes. He also recommends watching the movie "Secondhand Lions".
hisham.i
I want to buy an oscilloscope, but i don't have enough information on what parameters i have to look for in order to buy good one that will be fine for my work.

I want to be able to see pwm signals with frequency up to 10 or 20khz.

I see one in this link:
http://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/ds1000e/ds1052e/

Engineering news on Phys.org
Go to surplus store. There are a lot of good old scope very very cheap. Depend on what do you use it for, do you need digital scope? I think you can get a really good analog scope dirt cheap.

yungman said:
Go to surplus store. There are a lot of good old scope very very cheap. Depend on what do you use it for, do you need digital scope? I think you can get a really good analog scope dirt cheap.

Ebay is where i got my old H-P180.

In late sixties HP was trying to compete with Tektronix and made some excellent scopes.

Any HAM Radio fest would be a good place too. Hams are friendly and will give advice.

old jim

jim hardy said:
Ebay is where i got my old H-P180.

In late sixties HP was trying to compete with Tektronix and made some excellent scopes.

Any HAM Radio fest would be a good place too. Hams are friendly and will give advice.

old jim

Hi Jim,

I think me and you are two old timers here! Sounds like you've been in EE field for a long time like me. From your post, you are like me that don't like simulation unless have to. I believe you get a lot more insight not using simulation. I never find an instance other than in RF I need to use simulation. My original major was Chemistry and I don't have a day in school in analog electronics in my life. Electronics is just my passion. I started out modifying guitar amplifiers in the 70s and got so deep into it that I quit music and went full bore into EE. I gain knowledge by switching to totally different jobs and study along the way. Actually I really did not start serious studying until 10 years ago. I realize my passion is still electronics after all these year working and designing.

In the pass 10 years, I concentrate on RF, tx lines, distribute element circuits. I stop working 6 years ago and I really button down, starting with Calculus II all the way to PDE. Study EM and now antenna. I am making up loss time in my old age. I still average two to three hours a day 6 days a week in studying. Last two or three days, I've been lazy, rather talk here than study!

Back to scope, I see nothing wrong with getting an analog scope. I care about the frequency response more than anything else...of cause I am very cheap also! I only have a Tek 465 100MHz scope. THat's plenty for me to monkey on some guitar amplifiers now a days. Anything more, I might as well go back to work.

I prefer analog scope for everything except event capture.
I was able to find manuals for the old HP, and it's all discrete components so i should be able to pass it along to my grandchildren.

TEK 465 is a fine scope was our workhorse in 70's, sure wish i had one!

""Last two or three days, I've been lazy, rather talk here than study!""

That's part of what us old timers do -
if you haven't already done so, watch movie "Secondhand Lions". (It's in $5 pile at Walmart.) Robert Duval and Michael Caine play two delightful characters looking for meaning in old age.

old jim

Related to Buy Oscilloscope | Tips for PWM Signals up to 20kHz

1. What is an oscilloscope?

An oscilloscope is a scientific instrument used to measure and analyze electrical signals. It displays the signal as a graph on a screen, allowing for observation of its amplitude, frequency, and other characteristics.

2. Why would I need an oscilloscope for PWM signals up to 20kHz?

PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) signals are commonly used in electronic systems to control the amount of power being delivered to a device. An oscilloscope can accurately measure the frequency and duty cycle of these signals, ensuring proper functioning of the system.

3. How do I choose the right oscilloscope for my needs?

The most important factors to consider when choosing an oscilloscope are bandwidth (measured in Hz), sample rate (measured in samples per second), and number of channels. For PWM signals up to 20kHz, a scope with a bandwidth of at least 40kHz and a minimum of 2 channels would be suitable.

4. Can I use an oscilloscope for other types of signals?

Yes, oscilloscopes can be used to measure a variety of signals, including analog and digital signals. They are commonly used in fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and physics.

5. Do I need any special skills or training to use an oscilloscope?

While some basic knowledge of electronics and signal analysis may be helpful, most modern oscilloscopes are user-friendly and come with instructions. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and read the manual before use.