C-C Bond Type in Acetone: Sigma-Bond?

In summary: I did not read that anywhere, that is my understanding of the term "sigma bond." It is a type of covalent bond where the electron density is concentrated along the axis of the bond. In contrast, a pi bond has electron density above and below the bond axis.
JonnyG
I know that in acetone the central carbon atom is ##sp^2## hybridized. It is bonded to the single oxygen atom with a ##\sigma##-bond and a ##\pi##-bond. But what is the bond type with the two C-C bonds? The lower carbon atoms are ##sp^3## hybridized and so their geometry is tetrahedral. Are the two "lower" carbon atoms oriented such that the C-C bond is a ##\sigma##-bond? If so, can we generalize this and say that all single bonds are ##\sigma##-bonds?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
On the other carbon atoms, all p orbitals have been hybridized into sp3, so there are no possibilities of making π bonds.

I don't know of a single example of a single bond that is not a σ bond. That may be wrong, but it is at least a very good rule of thumb.

Likes JonnyG
JonnyG said:
I know that in acetone the central carbon atom is ##sp^2## hybridized. It is bonded to the single oxygen atom with a ##\sigma##-bond and a ##\pi##-bond. But what is the bond type with the two C-C bonds? The lower carbon atoms are ##sp^3## hybridized and so their geometry is tetrahedral. Are the two "lower" carbon atoms oriented such that the C-C bond is a ##\sigma##-bond? If so, can we generalize this and say that all single bonds are ##\sigma##-bonds?

How is a sigma bond defined?

A sigma bond is defined as a single bond lol. My guess is it's defined according to the same alphabetical principle as the "spdf" of orbitals. That is, sigma, pi, delta, phi. Am I wrong?

olle isaxon said:
A sigma bond is defined as a single bond lol.
Where did you read that?

1. What is a C-C bond in acetone?

A C-C bond in acetone refers to the chemical bond between two carbon atoms in the molecule acetone. It is a sigma bond, which is formed by the overlapping of atomic orbitals on the carbon atoms.

2. How does a C-C bond form in acetone?

A C-C bond in acetone is formed through a covalent bond, where the two carbon atoms share electrons to complete their outer electron shells. This bond is a result of the strong overlap of the atomic orbitals on the carbon atoms.

3. What is the significance of a sigma bond in acetone?

A sigma bond in acetone is important because it provides stability to the molecule. It is also the strongest type of covalent bond, making it difficult to break and contributing to the overall strength of the molecule.

4. Can a C-C bond in acetone be broken?

Yes, a C-C bond in acetone can be broken through chemical reactions. This can be achieved by introducing a stronger bond or changing the conditions of the molecule, such as increasing the temperature or adding a catalyst.

5. How does the C-C bond type in acetone affect its properties?

The C-C bond type in acetone plays a crucial role in its properties. It contributes to the high boiling point and low vapor pressure of acetone, making it a widely used solvent. It also affects its reactivity and chemical behavior, as well as its ability to form other types of bonds.