C+ in E&M1 and C in Mechanics, should I retake Mechanics or take E&M 2

In summary, a basic proof course with logic and some combinatorics could be useful in general, but more specific proof courses like real analysis will be a complete waste of time for you, you just don't need to know them for what you are learning. EM 1 was in parallel with mechanics, but EM2 will assume you have a good foundation in E&M 1. Mechanics should be retaken if one wants to do well in EM2.
jasontodd
I have been learning a lot of the Math in parallel with Physics so I'm not sure how many of my issues are Physics issues or Math issues. I feel like some of my Physics issues could be Mechanics issues. Is it better to retake Mechanics or move on to EM 2.

If I do take EM 2 I'm wondering specifically about what Math concepts I can go over to prepare. I felt very unprepared for solving second order non-linear partial differential equations in EM 1 since we only go up to ordinary differential equations at my school.

Also, would taking a Math Proofs class help me in Physics? Because of all the derivations?

Physics news on Phys.org
At what stage are you now? Have you taken vector calculus yet? How did you do in single-variable calculus? Was E&M1 in parallel with mechanics?

Regardless, I recommend really getting to know the math well, so the physics comes easier for you.

A basic proof course with logic and some combinatorics could be useful in general, but more specific proof courses like real analysis will be a complete waste of time for you, you just don't need to know them for what you are learning.

I think you're missing something. A course in E&M 2 will generally assume that you have a good knowledge of E&M 1. If you had a C+ in E&M 1, then this indicates to me that your knowledge of the course isn't very sound.

So the question is, do you know enough of E&M 1 to be capable of doing well in E&M 2?

I'm a junior. I got a C in vector calculus and a B- in single variable. Mechanics was last fall and EM was last spring.

Would it be more valuable to retake mechanics or study for EM2.

In EM 1 I would usually have trouble starting problems.

should I review mechanics for EM 2 as well because of em waves?

I'm really wondering if I should retake Mechanics or just study up on it.

I got news for you. Solving second order non-linear PDEs is not something you can do at the drop of a hat. There seems to be something off with your school. It seems like the Physics department is running rings around the Math department.

2nd order nonlinear PDEs in EM1? What?

jasontodd said:
I'm a junior. I got a C in vector calculus and a B- in single variable. Mechanics was last fall and EM was last spring.

Would it be more valuable to retake mechanics or study for EM2.

In EM 1 I would usually have trouble starting problems.

should I review mechanics for EM 2 as well because of em waves?

I'm really wondering if I should retake Mechanics or just study up on it.

It's up to you if you think doing mechanics again will help. On the one hand, you know more math now, so it should sink in better this time. On the other hand, perhaps your school doesn't teach it that well and doing it a second time would leave you where you are now, I don't know.

If it was me, I would buy the best book I could, find out what there is that I don't know, what there is that I could learn taking the course a second time, and then decide, or weigh it against some catching up in private. You have brilliant forums here to help you if you want to do some catching up.

Ask for book recommendations if you need them.

1. Should I retake Mechanics or take E&M 2 if I received a C+ in E&M 1 and a C in Mechanics?

It ultimately depends on your personal goals and academic plans. If you are pursuing a degree or career in a field that heavily relies on mechanics, it may be beneficial to retake the course to improve your understanding and skills in that subject. However, if you are more interested in electromagnetic theory and do not see yourself needing a strong foundation in mechanics, then moving on to E&M 2 may be a better option.

2. Will retaking Mechanics or taking E&M 2 affect my GPA?

Yes, retaking a course or taking a new course will impact your GPA. If you retake Mechanics and earn a higher grade, the new grade will replace the original one in your GPA calculation. Similarly, if you take E&M 2 and earn a better grade than your C+ in E&M 1, it will boost your GPA. However, if you earn a lower grade in either scenario, your GPA will be negatively affected.

3. Can I retake Mechanics and take E&M 2 at the same time?

It is possible to retake Mechanics and take E&M 2 concurrently, but it may not be recommended. These courses build upon the knowledge and skills learned in E&M 1 and Mechanics, so it may be difficult to keep up with both at the same time. It is best to focus on one course at a time to ensure a better understanding and performance.

4. Will retaking Mechanics or taking E&M 2 improve my understanding of the subject?

Retaking a course or taking a higher-level course can improve your understanding of the subject. However, it also depends on your effort and dedication to studying and mastering the material. If you put in the same amount of effort as your first attempt, it is unlikely that retaking or taking a new course will significantly improve your understanding.

5. How do I decide whether to retake Mechanics or take E&M 2?

Consider your academic and career goals, as well as your strengths and weaknesses in each subject. If you struggled in both E&M 1 and Mechanics, it may be beneficial to retake Mechanics to improve your understanding before moving on to E&M 2. If you excelled in E&M 1 but struggled in Mechanics, you may want to move on to E&M 2 and focus on improving your mechanics skills on your own. Ultimately, it is a personal decision that should be based on your individual needs and goals.