Calc Speed of Parabolic Arc for Zero-Gravity: NASA's Vomit Comet

In summary, NASA's Vomit Comet uses parabolic arcs of radius r and speed v to simulate free fall and zero gravity. To stimulate free fall, the pilot must fly at a speed of 356km/hr on a parabolic path with a radius of 1km. This is determined by using the equation a = v^2/r and assuming a centripetal acceleration of 9.81m/s^2. However, it is important to note that the lift forces on the plane must also be taken into account in order to accurately trace out the required parabola.
Jimmy87

Homework Statement

NASA’s Vomit Comet simulates zero gravity by flying parabolic arcs of radius r and speed v to stimulate free fall. If the pilot flies a parabolic path which has a radius of 1km, calculate the speed (*in km/hr) the plane must travel at in order to stimulate free fall?

Homework Equations

a = v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the answer as 356km/hr which I think is correct. I solved for v and used 1km for r and plugged in 'a' at 9.81 m/s^2 as freefall is when the only force acting on an object is gravity. However, after thinking about the problem I don't understand how this works in real life at all! I don't understand how you can assume the centripetal acceleration is 9.81m/s^2. If the plane is coasting through the air at any finite speed then surely due to its design if must experience lift so how can you make the only force it experiences gravity when you will always have some lift?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is that the lift forces operate on the plane, not on the person inside the plane, and it is the latter that experiences weightlessness.

It's an interesting point though. The pilot would have to take the plane's lift into account in tracing out the correct arc. It wouldn't be just a matter of shutting the engines off, as it would be if the plane were a giant cannonball. I imagine it's quite complicated to determine what combination of thrust and elevator settings to use to trace out the required parabola. My guess is that the pilot would have to set elevators down (ie push the yoke forward, which accelerates the plane downwards) and engine thrust above idle, to counteract the lift.

Last edited:
Likes Jimmy87

1. How does NASA's "Vomit Comet" simulate zero-gravity?

NASA's "Vomit Comet" is a modified aircraft that flies in a parabolic arc, which creates brief periods of weightlessness for the passengers inside. This is achieved by flying the aircraft at a steep angle and then pulling up quickly, creating a feeling of weightlessness as the aircraft falls back towards the ground.

2. How fast does the "Vomit Comet" travel during its parabolic arcs?

The "Vomit Comet" typically travels at speeds of around 500 mph during its parabolic arcs. However, this speed can vary depending on the altitude and other factors.

3. How long do the periods of weightlessness last during a "Vomit Comet" flight?

The periods of weightlessness during a "Vomit Comet" flight typically last for around 20-30 seconds. However, this can also vary depending on the flight path and other factors.

4. How does NASA use the "Vomit Comet" for research and training?

The "Vomit Comet" is used by NASA for a variety of purposes, including astronaut training, testing equipment in microgravity conditions, and conducting scientific experiments. It is also used to simulate the effects of zero-gravity on the human body.

5. How many parabolic arcs can the "Vomit Comet" make during a typical flight?

During a typical "Vomit Comet" flight, around 30-40 parabolic arcs can be made. However, this number can vary depending on the flight plan and the needs of the researchers or astronauts on board.