Calcium in Anhydrous Calcium Chloride

• Thread starter Fishworks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calcium
In summary, the conversation discusses the calcium content percentage in calcium chloride anhydrous and the use of non-water solvents for this compound. It is noted that the best way to calculate the percentage is through molar masses, and that vegetable oil is not a suitable solvent for calcium chloride anhydrous. The conversation also touches on the mixing of polar and non-polar solvents and the idea of vaporizing solvents in a solar boiler.
Fishworks
Hi All,

Does anyone know the Calcium Content Percentage% in Calcium Chloride Anhydrous?
I have tried google searching with no results.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
None? Really?

Likes BillTre
Bystander said:
None? Really?
None, the best I could get was for CaCl2.2H2O :frown:

Don't get me wrong, not trying to be a smartass here, but it is so trivial to calculate from molar masses I am not surprised it is not listed as something special. It is a bit like saying "googled, but couldn't find information about how much is 40/(40+2*35.5)*100%" :wink:

Likes symbolipoint, BillTre and Bystander
Other than water, does exist any non water fluid i could use as solvent for it?
I would like to use some sort of vegetable oil since it doesn't mix with Water but to make it able to hold small droplets of it in suspension, then to vaporize them in the solar boiler outside..

it could be biodiesel, vegetable bases hydraulic fluid, i don't know..

I'm asking this because i'm not a chemistrian, i'm involved non professionaly with computers , electronics, robotics, etc etc.

In general, ionic compounds readily dissolve in polar solvents, the more polar the better.
Water is a polar solvent, vegetable oil is not polar.

Polar and non-polar solvents don't mix well either.

Why would you want to add something to a solvent then vaporize it (solvent or solute) in a solar boiler?

1. What is anhydrous calcium chloride?

Anhydrous calcium chloride is a chemical compound that is made up of calcium and chlorine atoms. It is a white crystalline solid that is highly soluble in water and has a variety of industrial and scientific uses.

2. Why is calcium important in anhydrous calcium chloride?

Calcium is important in anhydrous calcium chloride because it is the main component of the compound. It provides the compound with its chemical and physical properties, such as its high solubility and ability to absorb moisture.

3. What are the common uses of anhydrous calcium chloride?

Anhydrous calcium chloride has a variety of uses, including as a deicing agent, a desiccant, and a source of calcium in food and medicine. It is also used in industrial processes, such as in the production of plastics and paper.

4. Is anhydrous calcium chloride safe to handle?

Anhydrous calcium chloride is generally safe to handle, but it can be irritating to the skin and eyes. It is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling the compound. Ingesting large amounts of anhydrous calcium chloride can also be harmful, so it should be handled with care.

5. Can anhydrous calcium chloride be used as a calcium supplement?

No, anhydrous calcium chloride should not be used as a calcium supplement. While it does contain calcium, it is not in a form that is easily absorbed by the body. It is also not meant for human consumption and can be harmful if ingested in large amounts.