Calculate pH of CH3COOH & NaOH Solution

• Thread starter Rron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, a solution with a volume of 300 mL and molarities of 0.2 M CH3COOH and 0.1 M NaOH was given. Using the Ka value of 1.8x10-5, the pH of the solution can be calculated by setting up two ICE tables or using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. This is a buffer question and the reaction is assumed to go to completion. The first ICE table outlines the remaining concentrations of the weak acid and conjugate base, while the second table uses those concentrations to determine the final pH. If needed, consulting an example in a textbook can provide a better understanding of the process.
Rron
A solution is prepared by mixing 200 mL of 0.2 M CH3COOH with 100 mL of 0.1 M of NaOH solution.Calculate the pH of the solution.(Ka=1.8x10-5)

I really don't know how to start this, so please help me.Its going to be a similar one on my exam tomorrow.

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Assume the strong base completely converts the acetic acid to acetate. From there look at the expression which defines Ka for this acid. That's a start.

If you can't see it from that information, try looking over this information.

Hint: have you heard about buffers?

This is a buffer question. You will need to set up two ICE tables. The first one outlines the remaining concentration of weak acid and conjugate base after the reaction with OH-. The second should use those concentrations to determine the final pH. If you have a book, there should be an example.

Actually no need even for a single ICE table, this is almost a simple plug and chug application of the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. You just need to start calculating concentrations of the reaction products, assuming reaction went to completion.

Correct, the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation is the preferred method. If this student does not know where to start, however, I figured writing out the concentration ratios would help in gaining some intuition.

1. How do I calculate the pH of a CH3COOH and NaOH solution?

To calculate the pH of a solution containing both CH3COOH (acetic acid) and NaOH (sodium hydroxide), you will need to use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which is pH = pKa + log ([A-]/[HA]). In this equation, pKa is the dissociation constant of acetic acid, [A-] is the concentration of the acetate ion, and [HA] is the concentration of acetic acid. This equation allows you to determine the pH based on the relative concentrations of the acid and its conjugate base.

2. What is the pKa value of acetic acid?

The pKa value of acetic acid is 4.76. This value can vary slightly depending on temperature and other factors, but it is generally considered to be a constant value for most practical purposes.

3. How do I determine the concentrations of acetic acid and acetate ion in the solution?

To determine the concentrations of acetic acid and acetate ion in the solution, you will need to know the initial concentrations of the solutions of CH3COOH and NaOH that were mixed together. From there, you can use the stoichiometry of the reaction between acetic acid and sodium hydroxide to calculate the concentrations of each component in the final solution.

4. Can I use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation for any weak acid and its conjugate base?

Yes, the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation can be used for any weak acid and its conjugate base. However, the pKa value of the acid must be known in order to use the equation accurately.

5. Is the pH of the solution affected if a strong acid or base is added?

Yes, if a strong acid or base is added to the solution, it will change the relative concentrations of the weak acid and its conjugate base, and therefore affect the pH of the solution. The Henderson-Hasselbalch equation can be used again to recalculate the pH based on the new concentrations.