Calculate Pressure vessel Collapse Pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of pressure that would cause a simple cylindrical pressure vessel with given dimensions and material properties to collapse. The equations for hoop and radial stress are considered, but the possibility of collapse buckling is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with the mention of thin-walled vs thick-walled pressure vessels and the potential for radial compressive buckling.
Christy001

Homework Statement

I have a simple cylindrical pressure vessel with thickness 100m and inner radius 254mm,.the cylnder has flat head closed ends but these are thickness 30mm. I need to calculate the pressure that would cause the vessel to collapse given material properties E=207Gpa, poissons 0.3, yield stress = 207Mpa

Homework Equations

I know that there are equations out there for hoop and radial stress which are quite simple but can I just assume I should use only for thickness 30mm

The Attempt at a Solution

I have used the simple equations for hoop and radial stress however I'm not sure if this is correct or not [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you consider collapse buckling? If so, what formula did you use?

In theory I was thinking of using the formula for hoop stress (as hoop stress is the max stress rather than axial or radial) as this problem is a thick walled rather than thin walled pressure vessel. I do have the equations which are below. So I'm thinking that if I use 207Mpa as the value for hoop stress( which is the yield stress) , a and b though are outer and inner radius therefore I'm confused as this doesn't consider the thickness of the end caps, rather the thickness of the cylinder.
upload_2019-3-17_17-56-42.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-17_17-56-42.png
    upload_2019-3-17_17-56-42.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,010
Christy001 said:
thickness 100m and inner radius 254mm,

Are these really the dimensions you want to talk about? 100 thick is a petty thick wall!

Sorry typo - 100mm not m !

Christy001 said:
Sorry typo - 100mm not m !
That makes quite a bit of difference.
With this mod, the thick walled pressure vessel equations should apply.

Google "radial compressive buckling of thin walled cylinders." This is a stability problem analogous to axial compressive buckling of rods. To see the modes of buckling of cylinders, just suck some of the air out of an empty 2 liter bottle. You will see the quadra-lobal buckling pattern.

Chestermiller said:
Google "radial compressive buckling of thin walled cylinders." This is a stability problem analogous to axial compressive buckling of rods. To see the modes of buckling of cylinders, just suck some of the air out of an empty 2 liter bottle. You will see the quadra-lobal buckling pattern.
Thanks - but I don't think thin-walled would apply in this case ? Because of the dimensions wouldn't this be classified as a thick walled pressure vessel ?

Christy001 said:
Thanks - but I don't think thin-walled would apply in this case ? Because of the dimensions wouldn't this be classified as a thick walled pressure vessel ?
It would be classified as a thick walled vessel. But it is not clear whether this same mode of instability could occur in vessels with thickness-to-diameter ratios and pressure differences characteristic of your system. I wanted to make you aware that such an instability could be possible, and provide some equations for crudely estimating whether it might need to be addressed.

1. What is a pressure vessel?

A pressure vessel is a container designed to hold gases or liquids at a pressure significantly different from the ambient pressure. They are commonly used in industries such as oil and gas, chemical processing, and power generation.

2. What is collapse pressure?

Collapse pressure is the maximum pressure that a pressure vessel can withstand before it deforms or collapses. It is an important factor in the design and safety of pressure vessels.

3. How is collapse pressure calculated?

Collapse pressure is calculated using various equations and standards, such as the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code. The calculation takes into account factors such as material properties, vessel geometry, and operating conditions.

4. What factors can affect the collapse pressure of a pressure vessel?

The collapse pressure of a pressure vessel can be affected by factors such as the material strength and thickness, vessel shape and size, operating temperature and pressure, and external loads or stresses.

5. Why is it important to calculate the collapse pressure of a pressure vessel?

Calculating the collapse pressure of a pressure vessel is crucial for ensuring the safe and efficient operation of the vessel. It helps to prevent catastrophic failures and ensures that the vessel is designed to withstand the expected operating conditions.