Stress and Strain Pressure Vessels

In summary: There is no need to create a new thread just because you have an additional question about the same problem .In summary, the question is about determining the Poisson ratio in order to solve for pressure using the given equation and values for E and yield stress.
woodyzzz

Homework Statement

82d09043-67a3-447f-b216-9c036a895713

E = 290 GNm-2
Yield Stress = 500 MPa

Q. What pressure would a strain of 40 με indicate?

Homework Equations

Hoop Strain. εθ = 1/E (σθ − νσz) = 1/E (pr/t − ν(pr/2t).

The Attempt at a Solution

I am looking for some direction on how to determine the poisson ratio with just the above information?

Given that the above equation has 2 unknown values. If i assign a poisson ratio of 0.3 which would logically not be a bad decision- as most vessels are steel! Then i can easily solve the above for p

But i prefer to understand a way of solving for V

can anyone help ?
[/B]

Attachments

• vessel.pdf
    201.5 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There seems to be some information about this problem missing from your posting ?

Nidum said:
There seems to be some information about this problem missing from your posting ?
i was trying to insert a screenshot

Save it on your computer . Check that image is saved in a suitable format such as .jpg or .png . Then use the UPLOAD button bottom right of the reply box .

Or just try pasting the image .

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between stress and strain in pressure vessels?

Stress is the force applied to a material per unit area, while strain is the resulting deformation or change in shape of the material. In pressure vessels, stress is caused by the internal pressure and external loads, while strain is the resulting change in shape or volume of the vessel.

2. How does stress and strain affect the safety of pressure vessels?

Excessive stress and strain can lead to failure or rupture of pressure vessels, which can have serious consequences. It is important to carefully design and monitor pressure vessels to ensure they can withstand the expected levels of stress and strain.

3. What factors contribute to stress and strain in pressure vessels?

The geometry, material properties, and operating conditions of a pressure vessel can all affect the levels of stress and strain it experiences. Other factors, such as temperature changes and corrosion, can also contribute to stress and strain over time.

4. How is stress and strain measured in pressure vessels?

Stress and strain can be measured using strain gauges, which are devices that detect and measure changes in the shape or size of a material. These measurements can then be used to calculate the stress and strain in a pressure vessel.

5. How can stress and strain be reduced in pressure vessels?

Proper material selection, design, and maintenance can help reduce the levels of stress and strain in pressure vessels. Additionally, implementing safety measures such as pressure relief valves can help prevent excessive stress and strain from causing failure.