Calculate sum. Fermionic operators

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the summation of fermionic operators in a vacuum state and how to interpret the results. It also touches on the concept of normal ordering and the importance of normalized wavefunctions.
LagrangeEuler

Homework Statement

How to calculate?
## \sum _{i,j} \langle 0|\prod_n \hat{C}_n \hat{C}^+_i\hat{C}_j \prod_n \hat{C}^+_n|0 \rangle ##

Homework Equations

##\hat{C}^+, \hat{C}## are fermionic operators.
##\{\hat{C}_i,\hat{C}^+_j\}=\delta_{i,j}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a question. What is ##|0 \rangle##? Is that maybe ##|0 0\rangle##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are the [itex]\hat{C}[/itex]'s ladder operators?

Last edited:
Presumably you have some number of Fermions, ##N##. Then, ##\left| 0 \right\rangle## represents the vacuum state which contains no Fermions - you can take it as a shorthand for

$$\underbrace{\left| 0 0 \dots 0 \right\rangle}_{N~\rm{terms}}.$$

So, the Fermion creation operator for the kth fermion when acting on this state will create a Fermion in the kth slot of the vacuum state (changing the 0 to a 1).

That is,

$$\hat{c}_k^\dagger \left| 0 0 \dots 0_k \dots 0 \right\rangle = \left| 0 0 \dots 1_k \dots 0 \right\rangle,$$
where I used a subscript ##k## to denote that that is the kth entry in the state.

Tnx.

##c^+_k|00…0k…0\rangle=|00…1k…0\rangle##
and is maybe
##c^+_k|00…1k…0\rangle=0?##
Then
##\prod_n c^+_n |000...0\rangle=|111...1\rangle##

So result is
## \sum_{i,j}\langle 1111...|\hat{C}^+_i\hat{C}_j|111...\rangle=\sum_{i,j}\delta_{i,j}?##

LagrangeEuler said:
So result is
## \sum_{i,j}\langle 1111...|\hat{C}^+_i\hat{C}_j|111...\rangle=\sum_{i,j}\delta_{i,j}?##

That's what it looks like to me. Note that since you're summing over i and j you should get a number out at the end.

And is it necessarily to ##\langle 1...1|1...1 \rangle## be ##1##?

this is a problem in anti commutation. Anti commute the annihilation operators past all the other operators so that they may annihilate the vacuum, in other words you have to normal order the operators

LagrangeEuler said:
And is it necessarily to ##\langle 1...1|1...1 \rangle## be ##1##?

While not strictly necessary, typically the wavefunctions are defined to be normalized, no?

Related to Calculate sum. Fermionic operators

1. How do you calculate the sum of fermionic operators?

The sum of fermionic operators can be calculated by following the commutation relations between the operators. The operators should be written in normal order, with the creation operators to the left and the annihilation operators to the right. Then, the sum can be evaluated using the properties of the operators, such as the anti-commutation relation.

2. Can fermionic operators be simplified or combined?

Yes, fermionic operators can be simplified or combined by using the commutation relations and the properties of the operators. This allows for simplification of complex expressions involving multiple fermionic operators.

3. How do fermionic operators differ from bosonic operators?

Fermionic operators and bosonic operators differ in their commutation relations. Fermionic operators follow the anti-commutation relation, while bosonic operators follow the commutation relation. This results in different mathematical properties and behaviors of the operators.

4. Are there any specific rules to follow when calculating the sum of fermionic operators?

Yes, there are specific rules to follow when calculating the sum of fermionic operators. These include the anti-commutation relation, the normal ordering of operators, and the use of mathematical properties of the operators to simplify the expression.

5. How is the sum of fermionic operators used in scientific research?

The sum of fermionic operators is used in various fields of science, such as quantum mechanics, condensed matter physics, and nuclear physics. It is a fundamental tool for calculating and understanding the behavior of fermionic systems, such as electrons in atoms and molecules, and plays a crucial role in theoretical models and experiments.