Calculate the charge on an oil droplet

In summary, the conversation discusses a calculation involving charge, with the book providing an answer of Q = 3.2 x 10^-19C and the speaker getting an answer of 6.67 x 10^-19C. There is also a mention of rounding, including units in intermediate steps, and using symbols instead of arithmetic.
Shaye
Homework Statement
A tiny negatively charged oil drop is held stationary in the electric field between two horizontal parallel plates, as shown below (please see attachment). Its mass is 4.0x10^-15kg.

Question 15,b) Use the fact that the 2 forces balance to calculate the charge on the oil drop. (g = 10 N Kg^-1).
Relevant Equations
1. F - Ma
2. E = F/Q or E = V/D (Electric field strength)
The book gives an answer of Q = 3.2 x 10^-19C

I get an answer of 6.67 x 10^-19C. Workings below:

20220417_110122.LARGE.jpeg
20220407_114835.LARGE.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
Shaye said:
The book gives an answer of Q = 3.2 x 10^-19C

I get an answer of 6.67 x 10^-19C.
Hi @Shaye. I agree with your calculation. Looks like a mistake in the book.

Other points:
- don’t forget the minus sign for the charge;
- round the answer to 2 significant figures;
- in your intermediate step, when you find the value of the force, it’s good practice to include the unit (N);
- consider working in symbols and leaving the arithmetic to the end.

Likes Shaye and PeroK
Steve4Physics said:
I agree. At this level, I would expect you to combine two simple formulas before plugging in the numbers:
$$mg = qE = \frac{qV}{d} \ \Rightarrow \ q = \frac{mgd}{V}$$Then you do that on a calculator.

Likes Shaye and Steve4Physics
Steve4Physics said:
Hi @Shaye. I agree with your calculation. Looks like a mistake in the book.

Other points:
- don’t forget the minus sign for the charge;
- round the answer to 2 significant figures;
- in your intermediate step, when you find the value of the force, it’s good practice to include the unit (N);
Thanks @Steve4Physics

Likes Steve4Physics
PeroK said:
I agree. At this level, I would expect you to combine two simple formulas before plugging in the numbers:
$$mg = qE = \frac{qV}{d} \ \Rightarrow \ q = \frac{mgd}{V}$$Then you do that on a calculator.
Yeah I should probably start to do this going forward @PeroK Good tip!

1. How do you calculate the charge on an oil droplet?

The charge on an oil droplet can be calculated using the formula: q = mg/Ed, where q is the charge, m is the mass of the droplet, g is the acceleration due to gravity, E is the electric field strength, and d is the distance the droplet travels in the field.

2. What is the significance of calculating the charge on an oil droplet?

Calculating the charge on an oil droplet is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of charged particles in electric fields. This information is crucial in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

3. How is the mass of an oil droplet measured?

The mass of an oil droplet can be measured using a device called an oil drop apparatus. This device uses the principles of gravity and electric fields to determine the mass of the droplet.

4. What factors can affect the charge on an oil droplet?

The charge on an oil droplet can be affected by factors such as the strength of the electric field, the distance the droplet travels, and the mass of the droplet. Other factors such as temperature and humidity can also have an impact.

5. Can the charge on an oil droplet be negative?

Yes, the charge on an oil droplet can be negative. This occurs when the droplet gains excess electrons, giving it a negative charge. The charge can also be positive if the droplet loses electrons and becomes positively charged.