Calculate the conductivity σ of the material of which this wire is made

In summary, the wire in question is 1.0 m long and has a cross-sectional area of 1.1 mm2. It carries a current of 5.4 A with a potential difference of 2.1 V applied between its ends. To calculate the conductivity σ of the material, we can use the formula σ = 1/ρ where ρ is the resistance, which can be found using V/I, A, and L.
mh53eflyguy
A wire is 1.0 m long and 1.1 mm2 in cross-sectional area. It carries a current of 5.4 A when a 2.1 V potential difference is applied between its ends. Calculate the conductivity σ of the material of which this wire is made.

Known data: I hate Wileyplus.

Ok, REAL known data: I know that I have to use 2pi(r), and pi(r)^2

R= (roe)(L)/(A)

I understand that if I were to use a specific material, I could find the resistance. However, this does not ask for that. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

You know the resistance from V/I.

You know the A.

You know the Length.

So what is σ?

σ = 1/ρ
and
R = ρL/A

Hello,

Thank you for your question. To calculate the conductivity (σ) of the material of which the wire is made, we can use the formula σ = I/(AΔV), where I is the current, A is the cross-sectional area, and ΔV is the potential difference.

In this case, we have a wire that is 1.0 m long and has a cross-sectional area of 1.1 mm^2. It is carrying a current of 5.4 A when a potential difference of 2.1 V is applied. Plugging these values into the formula, we get:

σ = (5.4 A)/(1.1 mm^2 * 0.0021 V)

= 2.44 x 10^6 A/m

This means that the conductivity of the material of the wire is 2.44 x 10^6 A/m. I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you.

Related to Calculate the conductivity σ of the material of which this wire is made

1. What is conductivity and why is it important?

Conductivity is a measure of a material's ability to conduct electricity. It is important because it helps us understand how well a material can transmit electric current, which is crucial for many applications such as in electrical wiring and electronic devices.

2. How is conductivity calculated?

Conductivity is calculated by dividing the current (I) by the product of the cross-sectional area (A) and the potential difference (V). This can be expressed as σ = I/(AV), where σ is the conductivity in siemens per meter (S/m).

3. What factors affect the conductivity of a material?

The conductivity of a material is affected by various factors, including the type and number of charge carriers (ions or electrons), the temperature, the composition and structure of the material, and any impurities present.

4. Why is the conductivity of metals higher than that of non-metals?

Metals have a higher conductivity because they have more free electrons that can move easily through the material, whereas non-metals have fewer free electrons and their flow is more restricted. This is due to the atomic structure and bonding of these materials.

5. How can the conductivity of a material be measured experimentally?

The conductivity of a material can be measured by using a device called a conductivity meter, which applies a known voltage to the material and measures the resulting current. The conductivity of the material can then be calculated using the formula mentioned in the second question.