Calculate the EMF induced in the square?

In summary, the problem involves a square of wire rotating at an angular speed of 3 rev/s around an axis through one corner, with a uniform magnetic field of 1.2 T perpendicular to the square. The EMF induced in the square can be calculated using the equation E=N*B*A*w, where N=1, B=1.2T, and A=1.96 m^2. However, the geometry of the problem must be properly set up, with the square formed by the x and z axis and the axis of rotation at the y, in order to accurately calculate the amount of flux, dψ, that the square crosses within a given time, dt. The B field and flux will vary with
hrf2

Homework Statement

1. A square of wire with side length 1.4 m rotates about an axis through one corner that is perpendicular to the plane of the square with an angular speed of 3 rev/s. There is a uniform magnetic field of 1.2 T perpendicular to the square. Calculate the EMF induced in the square.

Homework Equations

I know we'll need E=N*B*A*w; here, N=1, B=1.2T, and I thought A=1.96 m2, but I'm not sure now.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to do the equation at face-value but realized my geometry is not correct. How would you set up this problem geometrically? I think the problem should be set up with a square formed by the x and z axis and the axis of rotation at the y, maybe something like the diagram I uploaded. But then how do I form the equation from there?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Attachments

• diagram.png
    diagram.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 439
Physics news on Phys.org
The flux, ψ = B * A.

E = dψn / dt = dψ / dt , ( N = 1 ).

So calculate the amount of flux, dψ, that the square crosses within a time, dt.

How does the B field, and therefore the flux, vary with time as the square rotates around the wire? Your answer will be a function of time (unless you express the emf as rms or peak volts).

1. What is EMF?

EMF stands for electromotive force, which is a measure of the energy that causes electric charge to flow through a circuit.

2. How is EMF induced in a square?

EMF can be induced in a square by changing the magnetic field through the square. This can be done by rotating a magnet near the square or by changing the current in a nearby coil.

3. How is the EMF calculated in a square?

The EMF induced in a square can be calculated using the equation: EMF = N * ΔΦ/Δt, where N is the number of turns in the square, ΔΦ is the change in magnetic flux, and Δt is the change in time.

4. What factors affect the EMF induced in a square?

The EMF induced in a square is affected by the number of turns in the square, the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the magnetic field changes, and the area of the square.

5. How can the EMF induced in a square be used?

The EMF induced in a square can be used to generate electricity in a generator, to measure changes in magnetic field strength, or to study the properties of electromagnetic induction.