Calculate the solubility (common ion) buffered

This is what I get for trying to do things while half asleepIn summary, the conversation discusses setting up and utilizing an ICE table for the chemical equation of ##\mathrm{CaC_2O_4}## to determine the concentration of the dissociated ion ##(COO^-)_2##. The relevant equation and initial concentration are important factors to consider.
il postino
Homework Statement
Calculate the solubility of CaC2O4 in a 0.001M solution of Na2C2O4 buffered to pH equal to 4
Relevant Equations
Kps=(Ca+2).(C2O4-2)
Data:
##
pK_{ps} , pKa_{1} , pKa_{2}
##

Could you guide me to start solving?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: only concentration of (COO-)2 counts.

First, set up and ICE table for the chemical equation of ##\mathrm{CaC_2O_4}## and think about what the initial concentration of the relevant dissociated ion is.

Mayhem said:
set up and ICE table for the chemical equation of ##\mathrm{CaC_2O_4}##

Taking into account I is zero I don't think that will help much.

Borek said:
Hint: only concentration of (COO-)2 counts.
Which is in your Relevant Equation. So can start. Wonder what's taking?

Borek said:
Borek said:
Yes. My mistake. My brain completely skipped over important parts of the question.

1. What is the definition of solubility?

Solubility is the measure of the maximum amount of a substance that can dissolve in a given solvent at a specific temperature and pressure.

2. How is solubility affected by the presence of a common ion?

When a common ion is present, it decreases the solubility of a substance due to the common ion effect. This is because the common ion competes for the available space in the solvent, making it more difficult for the substance to dissolve.

3. How do you calculate the solubility of a substance in the presence of a common ion?

To calculate the solubility of a substance in the presence of a common ion, you must first determine the solubility product constant (Ksp) of the substance. Then, use the common ion effect equation to calculate the solubility.

4. What is a buffered solution?

A buffered solution is a solution that resists changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added. It contains a weak acid and its conjugate base, or a weak base and its conjugate acid, which work together to maintain the pH of the solution.

5. How does a buffered solution affect the solubility of a substance with a common ion?

A buffered solution can affect the solubility of a substance with a common ion by reducing the effect of the common ion. This is because the buffer can bind with the common ion, preventing it from competing with the substance for space in the solvent.