Calculate the total charge on a sphere

In summary, we are using integration to calculate the total charge on a sphere with a given radius and volume charge density at the surface. We can set up the question using the volume element and integrate over the entire sphere to find the charge, and then use Gauss's law to find the electric field.
nosmas

Homework Statement

Using integration calculate the total charge on the sphere

radius R
Volume charge density at the surface of the sphere p0

p = p0r/R

I started with dq = 4*pi*r^2*dr*(p0r/R)

but i am not sure how to integrate (in terms of what variable I would assume r=0 to r=R) but i am not sure i set up the question right

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nosmas said:

Homework Statement

Using integration calculate the total charge on the sphere

radius R
Volume charge density at the surface of the sphere p0

p = p0r/R

I started with dq = 4*pi*r^2*dr*(p0r/R)

but i am not sure how to integrate (in terms of what variable I would assume r=0 to r=R) but i am not sure i set up the question right
I presume that you mean ρ = ρ0(r/R) is the volume charge density for a sphere of radius, R, where ρ0 is the volume charge density at the surface of the sphere.

The volume element is dV = 4πr2dr.

So that dq = 4πr2(ρ)dr = 4πr20/R)r dr .

4, π, ρ0, and R are all constants.

Integrate that over the entire sphere. → r goes from 0 to R .

That makes sense so if I was asked to find the E field using gauss's law for r<=R would I just use E=q/(area*epsilon) but how would I know what q enclosed is?

nosmas said:
That makes sense so if I was asked to find the E field using gauss's law for r<=R would I just use E=q/(area*epsilon) but how would I know what q enclosed is?
To find the charge enclosed in a sphere of radius, r, integrate from 0 to r .

I would like to clarify that the total charge on a sphere can only be calculated if we know the total volume charge density, not just the density at the surface. The volume charge density, p, is defined as the charge per unit volume, therefore, we need to know the distribution of charge within the sphere in order to calculate the total charge.

Assuming we have the total volume charge density, p, we can integrate it over the entire volume of the sphere to find the total charge. The integral would be set up as follows:

Q = ∫∫∫p dV

Where Q is the total charge, p is the volume charge density, and dV is the infinitesimal volume element. The limits of integration would be from 0 to R for r, 0 to 2π for φ, and 0 to π for θ, as we are integrating over a spherical coordinate system.

However, since the volume charge density is given as p0 at the surface of the sphere, we can use this information to calculate the total charge by integrating over the surface of the sphere. The integral would be set up as follows:

Q = ∫∫p0 dA

Where Q is the total charge, p0 is the surface charge density, and dA is the infinitesimal area element on the surface of the sphere. The limits of integration would be from 0 to 2π for φ and 0 to π for θ, as we are integrating over a spherical coordinate system.

I hope this clarifies the approach to calculating the total charge on a sphere using integration.

Related to Calculate the total charge on a sphere

What is the formula for calculating the total charge on a sphere?

The formula for calculating the total charge on a sphere is Q = 4πε0r2, where Q is the total charge, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the radius of the sphere.

How is the total charge distributed on a sphere?

The total charge on a sphere is distributed uniformly on the surface of the sphere. This means that the charge density is the same at all points on the surface.

Can a sphere have a negative total charge?

Yes, a sphere can have a negative total charge. This means that there is an excess of electrons on the surface of the sphere, resulting in a negative charge. It is also possible for a sphere to have a positive total charge, which means there is a deficit of electrons on the surface.

What is the unit of measurement for the total charge on a sphere?

The unit of measurement for the total charge on a sphere is the Coulomb (C). This unit is named after the French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb.

Why is it important to calculate the total charge on a sphere?

Calculating the total charge on a sphere is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and the interaction between charged particles. It is also essential in many practical applications, such as in electronics, where the amount of charge on a sphere can affect its function.